Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422469 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18915 on: September 28, 2014, 05:32:03 pm »

Got my wither skeleton farm set up, now have 10+ nether stars even after using them for various and sundry things. I dunno what to do with them all. I'm using the Yogscast Complete pack, which has essentially every mod on Earth (and one on the moon), and there's still hardly anything to do with nether stars.
Hover over them in inventory, press "U", and make all the things. Then advance through Thaumcraft and make all the things you can with them. If you have any left over, melt them down in the alchemical furnace for essentia.
I know that, thanks. I did.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18916 on: September 28, 2014, 05:58:38 pm »

Nether Star Block castle. Do it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: September 28, 2014, 09:20:44 pm »

Anyone care to recommend a vanilla server? Preferably one not populated with illiterate 12 year olds trying to impress each other with how many swear words they know? With Forsaken's server gone, I've taken to scouring reddit for whitelist servers. I've not been overwhelmed with the quality of players I've encountered.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:16 am »

Anyone care to recommend a vanilla server? Preferably one not populated with illiterate 12 year olds trying to impress each other with how many swear words they know? With Forsaken's server gone, I've taken to scouring reddit for whitelist servers. I've not been overwhelmed with the quality of players I've encountered.

HELLO!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143158.0

bronies gonna need to greylist tho...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18919 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:39 pm »

Awwww yiss. Guess who has a slab furnace? And I got my first iron ingot, though it took a ridiculously long time to make. Two more of those and I can make a bucket... But I've decided to focus on getting a big patch of dirt down (and finding a grass seed) so I can start spawning in some animals. That should take some of the pressure off. I no longer have to spend all my time getting bone meal for wheat, and I have plenty of roast potatoes, baked fish, and a few loaves of bread at all times, but progress is still crazy slow. What's the best thing to compost, anyway? Zombie flesh was taking AGES to collect. Fish are pretty efficient, but staring at the  water all the time was making my eyes go funny. Trees are great, but they take so long to grow... Is there anything else I can compost?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

Might want to save your iron, stick with clay buckets for a bit - they work perfectly fine unless you're moving lava around often. And on a related note: Shears are an amazing investment. You can compost leaves and get just as much from them as a sapling. One set of shears gets you several stacks.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18921 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »

You can make clay buckets? I did not realize that.

So how do I get clay?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: September 29, 2014, 01:03:18 pm »

If I remember correctly, you get dust and put it into a barrel full of water.  Might have to break the dust with a hammer beforehand and get whatever that is.  Memory's fuzzy and am at work, otherwise I'd test it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: September 29, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »

Wait a moment, you didn't know how to make clay? Clay also allows you to make a crucible, which lets you melt stone into lava, which you can then use to make a cobblegen so you never need to sift dirt again (at least not before you have a tree farm). But this should be all described really well in the quest book.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18924 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »

Oh, wow, that's pretty simple. There's a lot of info in that quest book, and it's all new to me. I've been focusing mostly on "not starving" so I didn't read through the quests too carefully. Thanks, guys. This is going to get a lot easier now!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18925 on: September 29, 2014, 02:51:59 pm »

Any mod suggestions for 2  ~ 3 people?
Neither of us have played Minecraft for ages, felt like getting back into it, want something to spruce up the game.
I've only ever played vanilla so I don't even begin to know where to start.
TerraFirmaCraft

No, don't do that. Even experienced players get lost in that mod.
Really, though, the kind of mods I would suggest depend on what kind of mods you want. There's a few too many to list. What kind of things are you looking for?

Sappho: If you acquire two iron ingots, make some shears, and compost leaves. They are by far the most efficient way of making dirt.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18926 on: September 29, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »

Will you be playing on a server or a LAN? Some mods don't work for servers.

There's always millenaire. That's the one that adds villages, which give you quests to help them, which builds up your reputation, which lets you do more things, etc. There may be others like that as well, but that one has been around for ages. Gets tedious after a while, though.

You could try a multiplayer of Agrarian Skies, the thing I'm playing now. (It works as multiplayer, right?) Seemingly neverending quests in this one, loads to do. I'm enjoying it, even though I apparently wasted several hours doing repetitive tasks I didn't need to do... If you try it, read through the helpful tips others have given me over the last few pages of this thread. : )

I'm also a big fan of Mystcraft and Tinker's Construct. Mystcraft lets you make linking books that create new worlds to explore. TC lets you make custom tools and weapons part-by-part, and makes it possible to find lakes of molten metal in Mystcraft worlds.

Or there's Galacticraft, where you can build a rocket and fly to the moon. That one is VERY difficult. You have to make a NASA workbench (very complicated to make) as well as a space suit and oxygen and rocket fuel and everything. Then the moon is literally a whole new world to explore (and if you don't go prepared, you could end up suffocating!). This one works well with Buildcraft and other tech mods, and you can find the whole lot in the Technic launcher (Tekkit pack), which is designed for multiplayer.

You can download the technic launcher (http://www.technicpack.net/) or the FTB launcher (http://www.feed-the-beast.com/) and just browse through the different packs until you see something you like. It's very easy that way, and that's how I got my mother to try a modpack with me for the first time (Big Dig). One of us just starts up a single player game and then opens it to LAN. Works flawlessly, and there's no fussing around with mod installations, since the launcher does it all for you.

You can watch some of my videos if you want a quick look at a few different mods (link in my sig), or there's loads of videos from the YogsCast and others which will show you all the different things you can do. Minecraft is basically limited only by your imagination and the dedication of the modding community -- and the modding community is very dedicated!

Once you play with mods, you might never go back to vanilla. Anytime I try to play vanilla now, it's like playing with a bucket of rectangular legos after using the giant robot Technic set. It's just... what's the point? You can't *do* anything!

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:04 pm »

Also, besides the FTB and Technic Launchers, there's the ATLauncher, which has it's own set of interesting modpacks.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

Hey so I just got the ATL launcher, and I was thinking of trying out either the yog modpack or the modsauce modpack.  Which one is better for factories?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:19 am »

I've recently built a schooner for my server:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1380