Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423617 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18615 on: August 31, 2014, 09:29:31 am »

I go through dozens of diamonds...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18616 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:54 am »

I play on peaceful, so I don't need armor or weapons. There's only a few things I really need diamond for. By the time I need more, I'll probably have started a new world with a different set of mods.

My current plan for a custom modpack to use with my mom is:
-Most of the mods from Life in the Woods (including hunger mod, but with the delays for growth turned off)
-Thaumcraft
-Buildcraft
-Project Red (minus mechanics, which for some reason crash the game -- not sure which things I'll be missing)
-NEI

I think that will be a good combination. We can start out by just foraging, building a house, mining, all the normal stuff (but with all the extra plants, materials, and biomes) while my mom is still learning the game. Then, when she's getting her bearings, I can slowly start introducing her to magic and electricity.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18617 on: August 31, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

I haven't played Minecraft except for the console version, but from watching stuff on Youtube, the Twilight Forest mod seems like it'd be a good addition to that. Even if only for the whole 'mystical otherworld' kinda feel it has. That, and some of the materials in it are pretty damn cool. :u

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18618 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:20 am »

I haven't played Minecraft except for the console version, but from watching stuff on Youtube, the Twilight Forest mod seems like it'd be a good addition to that. Even if only for the whole 'mystical otherworld' kinda feel it has. That, and some of the materials in it are pretty damn cool. :u

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll probably pass on that one. My mom is absolutely not interested in combat of any sort, and refuses to play games that involve fighting, so we always have it on peaceful. Twilight Forest seems to be largely about fighting, weapons, armor, dungeons, etc., so that wouldn't be very useful. I think we'll have enough materials with all the harvestcraft, biomes o'plenty, underground biomes, and all that.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18619 on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:02 pm »

If you want to build stuff, you might want to add Chisel.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18620 on: August 31, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

I don't know if the mods you're using provide any alternatives to mob drops, but, if not, I remembered coming across a mod that allows you to get things like bones and ender pearls even while in peaceful mode. I believe it was this, the Peaceful Pack (which as far as I can tell is not actually a pack but just a somewhat poorly-named mod). It even apparently has a Thaumcraft Addon.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18621 on: August 31, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »

Oh! There's also Mystcraft, which has that Otherworld vibe, but doesn't have much (if anything) in the way of dungeons. Sure, the worlds that it generates are sometimes rather... hostile (Falling apart, giant meteorites, things catching on fire...) but still.

I like making suggestions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18622 on: August 31, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »

My suggestion: Forge Multipart! It has microblocks! Wheeee!!!
If you want to build stuff, you might want to add Chisel.
Also this.

Mystcraft is amazing, but I generally avoid it. It feels kinda cheaty. Ink + paper + cows != instantaneous interdimensional transport.
Which is kind of strange now that I think about it, because usually I love cheaty-but-not-actually-cheating things.

-Project Red (minus mechanics, which for some reason crash the game -- not sure which things I'll be missing)
Mechanical is currently in beta. You'll be missing things like tubes and those amazing not-really-a-piston things that can move blocks around. I can't remember what they're called.

Also, I know the discussion's moved on, but at what level are you mining? Even just digging a 2x1 tunnel at y=11 for ~100 blocks should net you a couple of diamonds.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:22:29 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18623 on: August 31, 2014, 05:00:18 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. For fancy blocks, I'm just using Project Red. I can just make a hacksaw and make microblocks that way. I think that will be complex enough for our purposes. I'm not even really creative enough to take advantage of that simple aspect. Maybe my mom will do better.

Strange that the mechanical thing doesn't work. But anyway, it sounds like it's not very important, so that's fine. As long as I have the wires, the lights, and the hacksaw, I'm happy. I have buildcraft for tubes.

I was mining below level 20. I wasn't even finding redstone, even in abandoned mine shafts. Very strange -- normally it's all over the place. Anyway, I'm nearly finished with that world now. Getting ready to move on to the new set of mods. Just need to do one more video showing off all the things I managed to build.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18624 on: August 31, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »

Chisel can make make a lot of kinds of fancy blocks though, Sappho, so have another recommendation for it. It even has a set for dirt blocks if I'm thinking of the right mod, not just stone or sandstone or other blocks.

Also, I'd recommend Thermal Expansion, since you had buildcraft in that list.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18625 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:33 am »

Is it possible to add a farm to an already-generated NPC village and have them farm it? I'm looking for potatoes and/or carrots, but the only village I've found doesn't have any fields at all. Is there a way to do this, or should I just cheat in one of each and start my own farm?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18626 on: September 01, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »

As far as I know, NPC villagers don't do any actual farming; the villages just spawn in with plots already formed. Unless you're talking about something added by a mod, in which case I have no idea.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18627 on: September 01, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »

Villagers doing farming/harvesting stuff is getting added in vanilla 1.8 (tomorrow!), no idea if it's been done already by mods.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18628 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »

Yeah, the wiki notes them as harvesting and replanting wheat, with no note about any of the other crops. I guess it could be more work to have them take care to replant the right crops and not accidentally drive one of them to extinction. In any case, nothing about them planting things that aren't already present.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18629 on: September 01, 2014, 04:45:59 pm »

1.8 villagers need bread to breed, not carrots or potatoes, and as far as I know they only plant/harvest wheat. This is an entirely new mechanic in 1.8, too. Villagers won't do anything useful in any earlier version.

Villagers doing farming/harvesting stuff is getting added in vanilla 1.8 (tomorrow!), no idea if it's been done already by mods.
Millenaire (or something like that) has been doing it since late beta.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 1380