Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426128 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17775 on: March 13, 2013, 01:13:48 pm »

Looking forward to see what new mods come out. Hoppers are much nicer than the BC ones IMHO.
I love the vanilla hoppers, but I kind of wish they had pipes now.  I wanted to create a "smelting room" where I could place my furnaces behind a wall and I realized that I needed to place a hopper next to another hopper to transfer items more than one block horizontally.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17776 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:17 pm »

You can also use triggered droppers and rail carts. But hoppers tend to be the most maintainance free option, if a bit expensive.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17777 on: March 13, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »

Mojang announces that they're getting into the server hosting business.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/minecraft-to-introduce-subscriptions-yknow-for-kids/

The RPS article is titled slightly alarmingly, but it's really just that Mojang has a program in the works for subscription based minecraft server hosting. Pricing is tentatively set at $10-15 a month. That seems like it could be a somewhat average price depending on how the servers are set up and how many players you can expect to have on at one time. No idea about mods yet, but given that most easy host third party servers already support many popular mod packs, I'd expect it to be something they're considering at least.

EDIT:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-13-mojang-targets-families-with-minecraft-realms-subs-service

More info.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:36:04 pm by sluissa »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17778 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »

That's... actually pretty brilliant. A monthly service for people who can't be bothered to set up dedicated servers. Some people may consider that shady; when I look at it, I see good business. It's not denying any services to anyone else.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #17779 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:44 pm »

Yeah, you're as well renting a server from Mojang as any of the five thousand other dedicated minecraft server hosts.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17780 on: March 13, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »

Based on that second link, it sounds like it'll be slightly more than just another server hosting option. They're trying to make things a bit more stable, trying to make it easier to find your friends within, and possibly, in the future, allow in game portals between servers, which I've heard them mention more than once, but perhaps this is a way for them to do it, finally.

They seem to be very much up playing the "ease" aspect of it with definite nods to reliability and security. I've not gotten into the server hosting much, myself, other than just looking at a few of the pricing options and semi-successfuly testing one out on my own computer back in the VERY early days of multiplayer, but I know many server admins complain about dealing with the management of their servers, even when they're simply playing with friends.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17781 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »

Eh, hosting a vanilla server is quite easy and cheap to do. Cheaper than they're charging for this subscription in fact.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17782 on: March 13, 2013, 05:55:21 pm »

Anvils still cost more to make than sentient robots...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17783 on: March 13, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »

Depends heavily on the number of players you expect on at any given time. I've only found one server host(in a very quick search) that can offer prices significantly cheaper than $10 and that's for their bottom tier 1-5 player server. I have my doubts how stable that might be, personally.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17784 on: March 13, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

Depends heavily on the number of players you expect on at any given time. I've only found one server host(in a very quick search) that can offer prices significantly cheaper than $10 and that's for their bottom tier 1-5 player server. I have my doubts how stable that might be, personally.
I meant doing it yourself, not buying the service. Its really not hard to do.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17785 on: March 13, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »

That takes hardware and a decent connection. Something not every has or can afford/wants to deal with.

Personally, I've got a decent connection, but my hardware couldn't handle running a server. It barely handles the game single player. Even if I could run it though, my ISP doesn't allow always on servers. I've gotten warning emails from them before just for leaving a ssh port open and logging into a linux box through that.

If I wanted to run a server, I'd have to upgrade to a costly business account, which, last I checked, would more than double my monthly cost and leave me at roughly the same specifications, connection-wise.

As for the evil sounding titles, I think it's just journalists being journalists. Someone writes about "Mojang offers new service, reasonably priced." nobody would read it. Instead make it sound like "Mojang to start charging subscriptions for minecraft, also kicking puppies" then it makes people look... because Mojang is known for nice things, not kicking puppies.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17786 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »

That takes hardware and a decent connection. Something not every has or can afford/wants to deal with.

Personally, I've got a decent connection, but my hardware couldn't handle running a server. It barely handles the game single player. Even if I could run it though, my ISP doesn't allow always on servers. I've gotten warning emails from them before just for leaving a ssh port open and logging into a linux box through that.

If I wanted to run a server, I'd have to upgrade to a costly business account, which, last I checked, would more than double my monthly cost and leave me at roughly the same specifications, connection-wise.

As for the evil sounding titles, I think it's just journalists being journalists. Someone writes about "Mojang offers new service, reasonably priced." nobody would read it. Instead make it sound like "Mojang to start charging subscriptions for minecraft, also kicking puppies" then it makes people look... because Mojang is known for nice things, not kicking puppies.
Why would you run it from your house? I mean if you're going to do this as a business just rent rackspace or a VPS.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17787 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »

Who said anything about a business?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17788 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »

Who said anything about a business?
If you're just doing it for a friend or two, you don't even need heavy hardware. The server I run sits on a computer on a standard internet connection.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17789 on: March 13, 2013, 07:33:41 pm »

I just told you why I couldn't run one out of my house even if my hardware could handle it. (which it can't)
Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1380