Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426127 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17760 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:15 pm »

And, as I said earlier, the DF method would work if you could generate assured finite landmasses, and didn't mind a temporary hang when someone discovered a new contenent.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17761 on: January 22, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

So, mods seem to be able to turn constructions into actual buildings..... I think it is now possible to make a DF mod.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17762 on: January 25, 2013, 01:55:17 pm »

Yeah, that too. Workshops ahoy! :P
We'd need a huge feature list, and an actual queue-of-completion-of-features, to actually make a DF mod. Oh, and Java programmers too. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17763 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »

Oh, we have plenty 'round here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17764 on: January 25, 2013, 04:31:52 pm »

Yeah, that too. Workshops ahoy! :P
We'd need a huge feature list, and an actual queue-of-completion-of-features, to actually make a DF mod. Oh, and Java programmers too. :P
You don't need to replicate DF in minecraft, just bring the feel of DF to minecraft. Goblin enemies which can appear and swarm, for example. Fungus 'trees' which can give 'wood'. Booze brewing. Things like that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17765 on: January 25, 2013, 04:33:38 pm »

I know, but making a "general world map" (mountains here, ocean here, jungle here, etc.) based on realistic generation, then generating chunks as you move, would be more realistic. I wish there was a mod... :P
Hmm, that actually doesn't sound half bad.
Until a glitch happens and you're stranded in the middle of the ocean.

Something close to that:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1119044-tool-biome-painter-10-edit-your-minecraft-worlds-biomes/

It's kinda "manual" but once you paint a biome, if you set the chunk to "regenerate" (I assume this is done by deleting the actual chunk data) Minecraft will create a chunk for the appropriate biome.

Also, there's the source, so I guess there may be a way to automate it or even use only the biome-edit code to make a version that turns a PNG into a biome map.

I think BiomeEdit (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1072652-biomeedit-forked-from-minecraft-retro-biomes/) does something similar. Except it doesn't regenerate chunks.

EDIT: Or... not. Apparently there's a flag to set a chunk to "populate", meaning generate ores and trees etc, not the entire chunk. Apparently region data cannot exist in a vacuum (meaning a chunk-less coordinate). Bah.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:29:07 pm by Sergius »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17766 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24:36 am »

Probably a better idea would be to mod the worldgen so that it can read from height/rainfall/temperature maps, and populate accordingly.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17767 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:48 am »

I don't know how current generation works,  but can't it take biome from rainfalll and temperature,  theoretically?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17768 on: January 27, 2013, 09:50:17 am »

Probably a better idea would be to mod the worldgen so that it can read from height/rainfall/temperature maps, and populate accordingly.

The idea would be to mod the "region chooser" so that it tells Minecraft what biome it should put (instead of the default, seeded one). Then just let the normal program continue and create the terrain. So any height, rainfall or temperature should just translate into biomes, otherwise you'd have to make the noise generator yourself.

After that, it's trivial to use some algorithm to decide the biomes, or just use some bitmap the server owner provided. You also don't need to mod clients in a multiplayer game.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17769 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:18 pm »

Mods or no mods, is there a way to keep hostile mobs from despawning?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17770 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:52 pm »

Zombies and Skeletons that are holding items that they picked up (IE if you die and the skele picks up your heavily enchanted diamond armor and bow) they will not despawn. This has been used as a method of item storage by testing zombies from a spawner for the ability to pick up stuff by seeing if it picks up a pumpkin and thus not burn then drop them where you are having items go. It is also a good way to store zombie villagers till you can cure them, toss them a pumpkin and store them somewhere, they won't burn nor despawn so you won't be on a time limit.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17771 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:40 pm »

AFAIK resources download while the game is running. That's why some brand new installs don't have sound until you've played a couple of minutes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17772 on: March 13, 2013, 12:57:52 pm »

So, Minecraft 1.5 a.k.a. Redstone Update is out. Any comments?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #17773 on: March 13, 2013, 12:58:57 pm »

Looking forward to see what new mods come out. Hoppers are much nicer than the BC ones IMHO.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17774 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »

Weren't they going to stop MC development soon or something? But this update sounds nice.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1380