Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426283 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17700 on: January 04, 2013, 04:55:16 am »

The compareriratorintorinator doesn't seem to be an AND gate. It's actually a pretty nice thing that couldn't be done otherwise.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17701 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:34 am »

The difference is that redstone now has power levels rather then just is it on or not. The compareinatormajigthing compares the strength of the signal its recieving and if the one coming in at the side is stronger it doesn't let the one going through it to go through. Combined with the daylight sensor you could do a lot of nifty thing dealing with time of day and such. What I would really like is an inverse daylight sensor.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17702 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:34 am »

Wouldn't an inverse daylight sensor sense when it's night? Just place a redstone torch on a block maybe and connect to the sensor?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17703 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:43 am »

Wouldn't an inverse daylight sensor sense when it's night? Just place a redstone torch on a block maybe and connect to the sensor?
This, mainly.

Does the daylight sensor output 1/0 or light level in redstone strenght?
I only watch the comapritonajrotror part of Captainsparkles's vid.
(And redstone has had power levels for a very long time now. Just no way to use them.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17704 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:59 am »

No, depending on how light it is depends on how strong a signal it outputs. What you would end up is simply a night detector, I want a night sensor.

@miauw62
   Yeah, the daylight sensor outputs a signal strength that differs depending on the time of day. A night sensor would output a signal depending on how dark it was basically. Also no it has not had power levels, it had a couple types and it has how far it would go with a graphical representation of it but it did not have a strength.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17705 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:37 am »

The distance it will go *is* the power level.  A signal from a light detector in bright light will travel further than a signal from a weak light. To detect signal strength, you can use a comparator or place your devices  at a certain distance along the redstone wire.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17706 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »

The distance it will go *is* the power level.  A signal from a light detector in bright light will travel further than a signal from a weak light. To detect signal strength, you can use a comparator or place your devices  at a certain distance along the redstone wire.
   No, the distance it will go is how far it will spread. The power level is whatever the current signal strength is in any one piece of redstone. Also the whole idea of different power levels as it applies to a signal in redstone is completely new. Before the closest you could come is whether you where powering a block strongly like with a repeater or weakly with just a normal signal. Redstone used to be either off or no and now it has different levels of on so it went from black and white to a a gradient though one is still exactly off.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17707 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »

Oh, cool! So let me get this straight--we can shoot off custom flares (no using them as missiles yet, unfortunately), AND there is a use for the "resistance" inherent in redstone now? Sources with different strengths? Cool!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17708 on: January 07, 2013, 11:47:24 am »

No, the distance it will go is how far it will spread. The power level is whatever the current signal strength is in any one piece of redstone. Also the whole idea of different power levels as it applies to a signal in redstone is completely new. Before the closest you could come is whether you where powering a block strongly like with a repeater or weakly with just a normal signal. Redstone used to be either off or no and now it has different levels of on so it went from black and white to a a gradient though one is still exactly off.

I'll try to explain it again: The power level and how far the redstone will spread are the same thing.  I just loaded up the snapshot and tossed a few potatoes onto a gold pressure plate.  The more potatoes I put on the plate, the further the signal went along the redstone wire.
The only reason redstone used to be 'off' or 'on' is because all available devices only sent out full-strength signals, and all available mechanisms responded to the weakest signal.
Now that there are devices that can send out weaker signals depending on stuff they detect, signal length is no longer just a limit on how far away you can put a lever, but also a way to detect how powerful the signal was, by putting repeaters or gates at a certain distance along the wire.

Feel free to download the snapshot and see how it works for yourself. It's pretty neat.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17709 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »

I'll try to explain it again: The power level and how far the redstone will spread are the same thing.  I just loaded up the snapshot and tossed a few potatoes onto a gold pressure plate.  The more potatoes I put on the plate, the further the signal went along the redstone wire.
The only reason redstone used to be 'off' or 'on' is because all available devices only sent out full-strength signals, and all available mechanisms responded to the weakest signal.
Now that there are devices that can send out weaker signals depending on stuff they detect, signal length is no longer just a limit on how far away you can put a lever, but also a way to detect how powerful the signal was, by putting repeaters or gates at a certain distance along the wire.

Feel free to download the snapshot and see how it works for yourself. It's pretty neat.
That sounds like it could be a neat way to refit pressure plates... full power for cart + player, less so without the player.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17710 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17711 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:05 pm »

That sounds like it could be a neat way to refit pressure plates... full power for cart + player, less so without the player.

Why stop there? You could have different levels for empty, empty chest-cart, chest-cart with items, players and furnace carts!

Edit: fixed quotes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:07:55 pm by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17712 on: January 08, 2013, 02:41:27 am »

Why stop there? You could have different levels for empty, empty chest-cart, chest-cart with items, players and furnace carts!

It won't work unless all those carts have different weights.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17713 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:14 am »

It won't work unless all those carts have different weights.
....And?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17714 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:52 pm »

I require assistance! I'm playing the Technic modpack, and I've fallen into a pool of lava and I'm rather low on health. I have a bunch of rare and valuable stuff on me, and I need to get out because I obviously don't want to lose all of it. I tried to quickly open my inventory and turn the mode to creative, but I can't do it quick enough. Wat do? I guess I could post the save and you all could see if you've got quicker hands than me.
Pages: 1 ... 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 ... 1380