Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426163 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17730 on: January 20, 2013, 05:13:47 am »

Yeah, but vanilla minecraft is badly made and has no real focus. It just gets boring really quickly.

??? Of course it has no focus; it's a sandbox game. That doesn't mean it's poorly made; further, given the rate at which new features are added, it is a constantly improving game.

For $15Ausd, I've managed to have literal weeks of satisfied playtime out of it; in terms of both absolute and per dollar satisfaction, only TF2 could possibly come close. When the only legit rival for a game's attention is a Valve masterpiece, well, it's not a badly made game.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17731 on: January 20, 2013, 05:19:12 am »

Yeah, but it's developement is unfocused. It's worth it's price for sure, but mainly because of the mods. Vanilla is boring and the features added on are 80% fluff and bloats, 10% new redstone stuff and 10% actually good new features.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17732 on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:32 am »

Yeah, but vanilla minecraft is badly made and has no real focus. It just gets boring really quickly.

??? Of course it has no focus; it's a sandbox game. That doesn't mean it's poorly made; further, given the rate at which new features are added, it is a constantly improving game.

For $15Ausd, I've managed to have literal weeks of satisfied playtime out of it; in terms of both absolute and per dollar satisfaction, only TF2 could possibly come close. When the only legit rival for a game's attention is a Valve masterpiece, well, it's not a badly made game.
Minecraft with mods is still a sandbox game, but with some actual content.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: January 20, 2013, 10:04:36 am »

Minecraft in my opinion is a really shitty, boring game full of cancer, without mods.

With mods theres things beyond whining about a plugin or doing SUPER SIRIUS HARD ARPY.

Its kinda like how boring Garrys Mod is without mods.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:23:16 am by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17734 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:22 am »

Vanilla Minecraft is a really fun game. A lot of people play that and don't even touch mods and I know that I like to play it just as much as I like playing with mods but then again this is all opinions and since there are people on both sides and neither is right or wrong its not ever going to become settled. Though DrPoo, saying something like what you just said is inflammatory as you just basically said your opinion was the correct one by saying "Minecraft is" rather then "I think Minecraft is". Hint, your opinion is just that and while you probably where not trying to start something I have to put forward of all the opinions out there yours is probably going to be farther from correct then most as modding is something that happened after the game became popular ergo some people found it fun enough to dissect the very code and make mods for it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: January 20, 2013, 10:43:11 am »

There's just not much to do in vanilla, and what there is to do is either grindy or feels... Well, unfocused like terraria.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17736 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:34 am »

So your saying a open world game feels unfocused and can be grindy...   Sounds like every other truly open world game. Also there are things in vanilla that are quite amazing like the CTM maps and all those awesome adventure maps that are coming out as of late.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: January 20, 2013, 11:09:18 am »

Is that still vanilla tough? I was talking about standard vanilla without maps.

And well, vanilla GETS boring after you play it for a while. At a certain point there just isn't anything left to do.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:23 am »

No, Minecraft Vanilla is boring and it will always be boring.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17739 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:01 am »

Umm, have you seen some of the thing people have done with vanilla? Does the Mindcrack server ring any bells? How about the Geomine server? Have you looked at Sethblings redstone creations? What about the Timelapses of FireUK? Also why are you discounting map! That is using vanilla after all and if you do then your not counting Hypixel. Your losing Vechs' Ultra Hardcore Maps. You suddenly don't have all the various fun games that have been made.
   Vanilla Minecraft is not boring to a good number of people ergo its not boring because others peoples opinions are just as valid as your own and enough people like vanilla. Its just that its more open and sandboxy then not and honestly as I said before if it was really a bad game that was actually boring there would not be mods for it because of what it took to make the original mods.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: January 20, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »

...I mod the heck out of my minecraft. Because I love building massive industrial complexes, run by magical golems and powered by fission. I too find vanilla somewhat boring, now that I've done most everything in it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game. Or even a boring one! I played minecraft for WEEKS without a single mod, and others are perfectly fine to never mod it at all. Geez people, just because there are ways to make the game more suited to your tastes does not mean the base is BAD.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:39 pm »

If whoever thinks it's boring then, well, it's boring.

Saying "a good number of people don't find it boring therefore it isn't" is, with the exception of the subject, like saying "a good number of people enjoy Twilight therefore it must be good".

Sure, it's slippery slope, but the points are one and the same.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17742 on: January 20, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »

Umm, why does twilight have to be bad? I haven't read/watched it and its not really my thing but some people like it so I don't see where you are coming from. Also I am not saying that a good number of people like it therefore its not boring. I am saying that enough people liked it enough to dissect the very code so they could add mods. With a game that doesn't yet have an integrated way of modding it the first mods where rewriting the very foundation of the games code and you don't get that kind of thing unless people find it interesting to start with. Ergo I am claiming that since there are mods for it when it doesn't support mods its not boring.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17743 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:15 pm »

I agree with greatorder. This discussion is going nowhere but places we don't want to go.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »

Whatever. Apples and oranges i guess
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1380