Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418801 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8970 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »

Grab Avast! it's a good free scanner.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:38 pm »

Minecraft can do absolutely nothing to explorer.exe.  Nothing.  Whatever you have going on here is not the work of Minecraft.

Seconding this as Minecraft is made in Java.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:14 pm »

Grab Avast! it's a good free scanner.

We actually had a discussion on this a few months ago (here), if you want choices (though Avast! is certainly a good option, with MS Security Essentials, surprisingly, also quite popular). I do seriously hope you have some antivirus installed, but if you don't, grab something pronto!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:34 pm »

Just started up MineCraft. Seems to be going well.
Genned a world fine, no lag, no crashing, it may be working!
Hell yeah.

It did ramp up my memory usage by almost half a gig though.
And no sound.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: April 11, 2011, 10:10:26 pm »

While playing Minecraft, my laptop sometimes decides to slow down horribly and won't recover until I reboot. Both CPU's start to work at almost 100% according to the Task Manager.
[...]
So I'm guessing from the above that the issue could be related to my hardware, but how can I be sure?

I'd start by checking the Event Viewer: Start / Run / eventvwr.msc
for warnings and errors, especially in the System category.

Then I'd download Process Explorer and just leave it running while I played the game.

Then, the next time the problem occurred, I'd open up the already-running PE and look right up at the top of the process list, at process id #4 (System) and its immediate child Interrupts.  If Interrupts is getting the CPU time, there's a hardware related problem.  (Could be the hardware itself, or could be a driver issue.)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: April 11, 2011, 10:23:32 pm »

Wow! I just found a way to make playing with mods much easier!

Minecraft will work just fine without all the stuff in minecraft.jar bundled into a jar file. You can get rid of minecraft.jar and replace it with a folder of its contents that is named "minecraft.jar" and Minecraft will work with just the folder there!  :D

Confirmed.  Very interesting.

It looks like the easy way to do this is to rename minecraft.jar (the file) to minecraft.jar.zip, then use any unzip utility including Explorer's builtin Extract All.

Anyone who does this, delete this folder or re-zip it before letting Minecraft update itself.  The updater does not understand what's going on, and will just issue confusing error messages.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #8976 on: April 12, 2011, 12:00:10 am »

Never Mind :P
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:01 am »

Just tried the modified 404 challenge and it was lots of fun, despite failing horribly.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: April 12, 2011, 01:55:57 am »

Just tried the modified 404 challenge and it was lots of fun, despite failing horribly.
What is it? I must know.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: April 12, 2011, 02:55:56 am »

Seed 404.
In both of them, you have until nightfall to collect all the supplies you will need.
Then, you mine out a block of this gravel area you spawn nearby and it will create a massive pit.
You ride a waterfall into the pit and try to survive underground.
Normally, you wouldn't be allowed to use torches, but the modified one lets you do that, however, you can't build a furnace while overground and you can't mine iron or coal until underground.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:04 am »

While playing Minecraft, my laptop sometimes decides to slow down horribly and won't recover until I reboot.

Oooo! I may be able to help with that! First you should know that pressing F3 will show your FPS at the top, your minecraft coords and a cyclic graph of frame latency at the bottom. Sometimes when I start Minecraft it slows down, at first, to 0-1 fps, chews all the cpu time it can get but won't ever be responsive. I fix that by (assuming you are not playing full screen) maximizing and/or minimizing the window. That one simple action is all it takes to get it over its hump. I may have to do it twice every now and again but Minecraft tends to get more stable after 5-10 minutes. I don't know if this will fix your problem but I've been wanting to say that to somebody for half a year now and it sounds close enough. ;)

Let me know if that works for you!

Wow, I never expected that to actually work, but apparently it did!  I've only tested it once though, so it might have been another type of hiccup than the one that I described.  I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the info on the Event Viewer and Process Explorer, 0x517A5D.  I'll give those a shot when I have a moment, since even if the above 'fix' keeps working, it still shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:26 am »

I decided to check this out myself, sounds interesting.

The original challenge is interesting but kinda stupid. And not in a fun way, just stupid. No torches? No mining around? I'm in full support of the modified ruleset.

And after three creepersplosions on reaching the bottom I'm suspecting that I made the right choice.

I'ma take you on, Ein. Let's do this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »

Original 404 rules: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1031&t=190157

Honestly, getting down here, there's enough lava in the immediate vicinity that it should be easily doable w/o torches. The only possible exception being wood collection; I brought down sapplings, but may need to used modified rules to grow them, depending on whether bone meal works in the dark. I've actually built a fully autonomous underground fort before when I stayed underground for an IRL week in a massive cave system on my main map. So long as you bring seeds and saplings, it typically isn't too bad once that area is mildly protected.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:38:09 pm by alway »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: April 12, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »

There is nothing easy about a challenge where you have a 9/10 chance of immediately dying from either missing the water because you can't see, creepers or getting disoriented from the knockback. Fuck the original arbitrary rules. I'm a dude stuck in a cave, I'll live as well down here as I damn well please.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »

I take it back. *whimpers in a tiny corner with 2.5 hp while a skeleton archer stands just outside*

Half a heart left. Killed that bastard for his crime of desecrating one of my only 2 remaining crop seeds. If this next one doesn't grow, I'm as good as dead.

Sugar cane just saved my life. Apparently skeles can't shoot through them, and the ones I was growing protected me from a sneak attack. I would suggest covering any entrances you have with them for such a purpose.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:42:46 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1380