Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420870 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7860 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:22 pm »

I'm still enjoying seeds.
Though I wish they did more to the map.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7861 on: March 04, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

Did you try Optimine?

Yes, never did anything for me.

Irrc you can disable smooth lighting.

Hurrr derp. I specifically noted that the game was lagging even with smooth lighting off.

The lag problems have been resolved on my end - turns out battery saving power plans really screw with performance, and I'd forgotten to put it back on high performance.

As for lag on server end, I've noticed that Akylon's server has no lag - even with smooth lighting and fancy graphics - while Jaycraft and Planehacked do lag, though less so than between the smooth lighting update and now.

I'm not entirely sure why this is - by all accounts, Jaycraft is on a fairly decent VPS with a good connection, while Planehacked is on a dedicated server machine with a...decent...connection.

Akylon's is run off a laptop connected to a baseline home network. I have literally no idea why it has much less lag than Jaycraft and Planehacked.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »

I have no idea either. By the sound of it, I should be doing the worst, especially due to the wireless.
The current map is only 38 MB, though. Perhaps mapsize?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:40:06 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »

Perhaps mapsize?
Nope.  Chunks are streamed on demand.
That said, Jaycraft is loading two worlds at once, and we are running approximately 20 plugins that probably don't play very nicely.
Though I haven't seen any lag on it, so I think it's probably moreover just a network problem (failed uplink somewhere or just a large hop-count)
Jaycraft is on a fairly decent VPS
-snicker-
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: March 04, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »

I have a crappy ISP and today with 9 people on and me spamming certain powers didn't cause any lag at all.

The thing you have to realize, about minecraft lag, is that you should press F3. If you see a bunch of red, it's because your client is downloading chunks and while you download chunk, you lag as fuck because Notch hasn't learned the wonders of multi-threading and queuing and crap.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: March 04, 2011, 10:43:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The lag problems have been resolved on my end - turns out battery saving power plans really screw with performance, and I'd forgotten to put it back on high performance.

As for lag on server end, I've noticed that Akylon's server has no lag - even with smooth lighting and fancy graphics - while Jaycraft and Planehacked do lag, though less so than between the smooth lighting update and now.

I'm not entirely sure why this is - by all accounts, Jaycraft is on a fairly decent VPS with a good connection, while Planehacked is on a dedicated server machine with a...decent...connection.

Akylon's is run off a laptop connected to a baseline home network. I have literally no idea why it has much less lag than Jaycraft and Planehacked.

Isn't Akylon's server new? Possibly, he doesn't have any chunk corruption yet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: March 04, 2011, 10:47:34 pm »

pretty new, ya.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:48 pm »

he doesn't have any chunk corruption yet.
That has anything to do with anything how?
That just causes a chunk to get regenerated.  Does nothing to the client.

The thing you have to realize, about minecraft lag, is that you should press F3. If you see a bunch of red, it's because your client is downloading chunks and while you download chunk, you lag as fuck because Notch hasn't learned the wonders of multi-threading and queuing and crap.
Except that he's only experiencing this on two of the three servers.  It could just be that Aklyon's server is closer geographically, so the packets don't have to travel through as many hops, like I said...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:54:03 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »

There was a person who had a server set up IN THE ROOM NEXT DOOR that had more lag than my server, apparently.

So either geo-location doesn't matter too too much, or that one just sucked.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

Clearly Aklyon is a dark wizard, there is no other explanation.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7870 on: March 05, 2011, 02:27:36 am »

Clearly Aklyon is a dark wizard, there is no other explanation.

Fun fact: You are WIZARD actually started out as the story of Aklyon's life.  He used his powers to implant suggestions in your mind.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #7871 on: March 05, 2011, 06:36:18 am »

ATTENSION ALL MINECRAFT SERVER OWNERS: Ban Pinguoin, ItzAlexQc, Mortix, they hacked himself as an op (dunno how yet) and griefed all our servers.

EDIT: they were using my account >:(

Proof: http://www.mediafire.com/?m4yjllha7lqh1uy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:55:45 am by electronics »
1=0

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:26 am »

Proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Empty brackets?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: March 05, 2011, 06:52:10 am »

trying to get the logs off via ftp but it's not going to well
1=0

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile