Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421862 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4845 on: September 30, 2010, 11:55:53 am »

I don't understand the complaints about the price either. Sometimes games I spend 50 bucks on only give me a fraction of the hours I've put into Minecraft.

It's cheap, it really is. More importantly, it's worth it.
I guess my complaint is that I tried it out, found it interesting but incomplete and lacking any goals, so stopped playing. At least with DF I have some overall fortress goals and things. Minecraft is certainly a cool toy, but there is only so long it could amuse me and it does nothing particularly new or amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming the game. I do think it is pretty neat, but I don't think this rabid fandom is warranted, nor do I think the price is appropriate for a half-finished game.

So I'll probably just pass on it for now.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: September 30, 2010, 11:58:27 am »

isn't it just hermit fort mode in first person?
survival is main goal, building a flat panel tv screen for your self and your buddies is the meta game.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4847 on: September 30, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »

survival is main goal, building a flat panel tv screen for your self and your buddies is the meta game.
I guess, but survival is easy. Build wall, done. You survive.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: September 30, 2010, 01:07:30 pm »

Got it working again :D . And yea, minecraft gets old after you got full diamond equipment and found most terrain features and creatures. After that it gets old pretty fast unless you do megaprojects. I play it because its fun and offers me a first person view of how a DF dwarf is like, however it can't make me come back to it multiple times on its own like DF can. Mostly because DF's development aim for alot more then just another materia.l to use or another game mode that only differs from the others slightly
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »

Sure, if you wanna be an pansy elf.

To me, Minecraft has the same attitude as Dwarf Fortress, Losing is Fun. Sure, you can make a little cottage and farm and be safe from 99% of deaths, but wheres the fun in that?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4850 on: September 30, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

Eh, I'm not going to get into a DF vs Minecraft argument, I was just pointing out that 'survival' as a goal is not really difficult in minecraft. You don't need to eat or drink, if you build a box around yourself you are invulnerable forever.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4851 on: September 30, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »

Sure, if you wanna be an pansy elf.

To me, Minecraft has the same attitude as Dwarf Fortress, Losing is Fun. Sure, you can make a little cottage and farm and be safe from 99% of deaths, but wheres the fun in that?
In my game, I made a nice farmland as a sanctuary zone for healing and producing simple armor (leather) and such if need be; but it won't have the essential backup equipment I would need (like arrows) that, I'd have to enter one of my mines where I have to manually get the flint to craft more, seeing as feathers are getting rather plentiful.

Considering I like my world as it is, and want to continue exploring, I will develop a new location, and then use that as my new base of operations, and start anew after the beginning stages are developed enough, just to more extreme goals.

For example:
Starter Mines- Just as the name states, it's a simple starting point, good for basic stuff, not much else will be added to it, and I have allowed a personal limit of 2 mining levels (32 tiles deep-per-level) meaning redstone and other minerals will not be as likely to find here, and will also be an import for it if I decide to work on this site more.
Greater Mines- Obviously I'm going to be going a little more in depth (no pun intended) with this location and flesh it out a bit more at east internally as a more roomy mining community center (so to put it). It'll have better accommodations than the starter mines, have more mine shafts, and a greater storage. This will likely be a project material production location where cobblestone and probably more ores and maybe even redstone will be it;'s export, whereas Starter will have it's tree farm providing wood as it's main export.
*Unnamed* Lighthouse- This will be a major (though not mega-) project to serve as a beacon for the two sites at least, and will serve as a primary means of finding the places, or spotting others. When it's done, it'll probably replace the initial sky-compass built in Starter Mines territory.

There will be other sites, like maybe the "Great Plains" Keep a short distance from Starter Mines inland, more to serve as a weapons storage, and a starting pint for a subway system (ores imported from GM, wood imported from SM). I have a bit of a system to make use of. And maybe some monuments will be either built or carved, seeing as I have some rock faces and cliffs that I can engrave a face in or something, or some other obscure things could be built, like mentioned earlier, an optical illusion only visible when rendered in isometric mode, or from a certain point on the map.

I would only resort to staying in my farmland if I want the threat of mobs, but don't want to deal with them. They make good alarms if it's getting dark out, and I can't see much of outside (like crafting a ton of stuff in Starter Mines). Of course, I make it so I must actually leave my fort to get to the sanctuary. That would be my policy, either last stand your doorway (or death from above if you made a way), or run like hell to the nearest sanctuary t either heal up, or wait for the zombie/skel infestation to burn up. Sanctuaries would also provide an easier method to taking out creepers as well if I don't want my land damaged (already lost a decent amount, and wasted some material patching up some craters; really annoying).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4852 on: September 30, 2010, 01:46:48 pm »

OK, tomorrow's Seecret Friday.

Possibilites:

- Biomes?

- SMP Health?

- AierPlaens?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: September 30, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »

I don't understand the complaints about the price either. Sometimes games I spend 50 bucks on only give me a fraction of the hours I've put into Minecraft.

It's cheap, it really is. More importantly, it's worth it.
I guess my complaint is that I tried it out, found it interesting but incomplete and lacking any goals, so stopped playing. At least with DF I have some overall fortress goals and things. Minecraft is certainly a cool toy, but there is only so long it could amuse me and it does nothing particularly new or amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming the game. I do think it is pretty neat, but I don't think this rabid fandom is warranted, nor do I think the price is appropriate for a half-finished game.

So I'll probably just pass on it for now.
Meh, Minecraft will probably never have any "Goals". It's a true sandbox game, with nothing at all you have to do, but the freedom to build almost anything. It's also very well done, and cheap. Sure, there's nothing revolutionary about it, but for those who like this sort of game, it's pretty much prefect.

DF on the other hand I haven't played in months. I'll probably be obsessed with it when adventurer mode is done, and Toady's vision for the game is amazing, but for now I just don't enjoy the micromanagement of fort mode. It's the ability to influence an entire world on my own, controlling a single character, that I'm looking forward to.

OK, tomorrow's Seecret Friday.

Possibilites:

- Biomes? Perhaps.

- SMP Health? Probably this time or next time. Soon either way.

- AierPlaens? I wish.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: September 30, 2010, 02:12:12 pm »

biomes would be amazing. unluckily, this mean that the only part of my current save which I am actually developing is stuck in spring, no matter what happens to the surrounding land( still unexplored). I could cry for all the wasted opportunities of using biomes, since I am doing a theme build.
one land for the dwarves in their halls of stone deep inside the earth, one land for the elves in their evergreen woods, where spring never fades, one land for the mortal humans, protected by the walls of their fortress.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4855 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:21 pm »

I think that biomes will be more closely tied to flying rides than might be obvious; my reasoning is that Notch explained that he plans to re-use some of the world-generation tools from alpha, including floating islands.

And of course, one can't have floating islands without crude gliders to use to get between them, at least until you can build mine cart trestles.

But what I'm really hoping for is SMP improvements. When you and your gang can be holed up in your fortress, surrounded by spider-riding skeletons, zombies, and creepers, then you've got a real game going.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »

actually, you can have floating islands without gliders. The skyland server works just fine. It needs teleporters and spawn obelisks, true, but that is mainly because it is incredibly huge.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: September 30, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »

New idea: run the maze courses. Custom maps where the "goal" is to reach an endpoint. So many possibilities: labyrinths, platformers, pseudo-FPSes. Wacky minecart coasters, temples of doom, the comic book world of Spider-man, the hideous bowels of Malice. You can't tell me that doesn't sound awesome. For if you do, I shall blow up the webpage.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #4858 on: September 30, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

Eh, I'm not going to get into a DF vs Minecraft argument, I was just pointing out that 'survival' as a goal is not really difficult in minecraft. You don't need to eat or drink, if you build a box around yourself you are invulnerable forever.

Yep, after DF Minecraft's Survival is easy as pie.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4859 on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:42 pm »

Yep, after DF Minecraft's Survival is easy as pie.
Even if you begin from square-1 (empty-handed, no home, no materials), after waiting at least 1 in-game day on the hardest difficulty; of course in a relatively safe enough spot like on top of a tree, and then working from there beginning at night?
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1380