Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421599 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4830 on: September 30, 2010, 03:00:29 am »

Notch did mention having different colour lights and carrying torches but I guess that's for a future update.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: September 30, 2010, 03:26:33 am »

Notch is making Three hundred thousand dollars a day (apparently). The price isn't going to drop any time soon.

Actually, it's about $300000 total based on how many purchases he's had by the price.  Which means he's actually lost quite a bit of that money to Paypal (who still want all of it anyway), and Swedish taxes, and who knows what else.  Not that six figures in less than two years isn't impressive.

You're missing a 0. He's sold 278121 copies... no, it's 278143... oh wait, 278147. At €10 per, that's over $3 million. He's sold 100k copies just the last 10 days or so. He's not making 300000 a day though, that was just the peak right after the free weekend. It's closer to 90-120k now and will likely drop to half that by next week.

I don't know how much PayPal takes of it, it's probably their standard commission (2%-ish?). Swedish taxes are high, around 30-50% or more, depending on how he's reporting his sales income. If he's been smart enough, he registered a personal company early and funneled the sales income into that, and have the company pay him a more sensible salary.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: September 30, 2010, 03:27:37 am »

Notch did mention having different colour lights and carrying torches but I guess that's for a future update.

You can use redstone torches as markers. At least they're a different color from the regular ones. I just use multiple torches in patterns.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: September 30, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

Notch is making Three hundred thousand dollars a day (apparently). The price isn't going to drop any time soon.

Actually, it's about $300000 total based on how many purchases he's had by the price.  Which means he's actually lost quite a bit of that money to Paypal (who still want all of it anyway), and Swedish taxes, and who knows what else.  Not that six figures in less than two years isn't impressive.

You're missing a 0. He's sold 278121 copies... no, it's 278143... oh wait, 278147. At €10 per, that's over $3 million. He's sold 100k copies just the last 10 days or so. He's not making 300000 a day though, that was just the peak right after the free weekend. It's closer to 90-120k now and will likely drop to half that by next week.

I don't know how much PayPal takes of it, it's probably their standard commission (2%-ish?). Swedish taxes are high, around 30-50% or more, depending on how he's reporting his sales income. If he's been smart enough, he registered a personal company early and funneled the sales income into that, and have the company pay him a more sensible salary.

IIRC Paypal put a limit on how much money can come in at once and raised commission to some 5%. They still want more.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: September 30, 2010, 03:32:20 am »

No, they decided to arbitrarily hold 5% of the money in escrow for 90 days to collect interest. It's pretty nasty, but they're not taking an extra cut. Such arbitrary behaviour (especially freezing the account for leverage) is reason enough to never ever use Paypal for any sort of business though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:16 am »

I just lost pretty much everything, due to a stupid water/dungeon fuckup.
And that includes all of the golden armor, and diamond tools I managed to rack up.

Castle looks decent so far, though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:10 am »

Just thought of this last night while exploring a cave on a new island... has anyone suggested exploding arrows? I mean, we have all the materials, and it would make for some cool battles.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:28 am »

I just lost pretty much everything, due to a stupid water/dungeon fuckup.
And that includes all of the golden armor, and diamond tools I managed to rack up.

Castle looks decent so far, though.
A story straight outta Dwarf Fortress

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: September 30, 2010, 10:24:17 am »

Just thought of this last night while exploring a cave on a new island... has anyone suggested exploding arrows? I mean, we have all the materials, and it would make for some cool battles.
All sorts of arrows have been suggested on the forums. Don't you worry man, it's been covered.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 30, 2010, 11:01:25 am »

Here's a question for you guys: How do you manage to explore massive cave systems and caverns without getting lost? I have no sense of direction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 30, 2010, 11:09:08 am »

Short answer: Torches and <Insert Marker Preference Here>. I prefer signs, some folks prefer torch or block patterns, etc.

Long answer: Read backwards for somewhere between 5 and 15 pages. There was a fairly lengthy discussion on spelunking within the past week or two, I think. It was either here or in the planehacked thread, maybe one of the LPs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 30, 2010, 11:16:07 am »

Put torches on the right-hand wall. If the torches are on your left, you're heading to an exit. Also, signs or landmarks at junctions can help with orientation.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: September 30, 2010, 11:23:01 am »

Short answer: Torches and <Insert Marker Preference Here>. I prefer signs, some folks prefer torch or block patterns, etc.

Long answer: Read backwards for somewhere between 5 and 15 pages. There was a fairly lengthy discussion on spelunking within the past week or two, I think. It was either here or in the planehacked thread, maybe one of the LPs.
By the by, has someone made a "Spelunker" skin yet :3
Thank you based dwarf.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: September 30, 2010, 11:36:01 am »

Invest in a compass- Dig your way out- put a marker at the new exit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: September 30, 2010, 11:55:29 am »

By the by, has someone made a "Spelunker" skin yet :3
Way back in the day I made a terrible Spelunky texture pack, although it's for a horribly outdated version of creative mode. I might work on updating it, although the lack of proper tiles for some blocks made it rather difficult to work with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1380