Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421293 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4755 on: September 28, 2010, 05:11:52 pm »

Mind = blown x2

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: September 28, 2010, 05:38:37 pm »

16-bit ALU in minecraft

"Pretty soon it will be able to run actual machine language programs."  Barring signal lag and cell-blocking, since the circuits in unloaded parts of the map don't do anything; and red-circuits have a very hard time traveling vertically, so it'll have to be laid out on the ground.  I wonder just how much Notch would allow modding to enable such a construction?  And what would it do?

INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: September 28, 2010, 06:17:39 pm »

I see no address in the background. The site works for me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4758 on: September 28, 2010, 06:19:03 pm »

I'd argue that a modded game would detract from the impressiveness of the achievement. After all, you could mod it to simply have a little UI in the game that asks for the input and then gives you the answer. Anything else is a matter of degrees.

That said, it would be a neat mod that includes single blocks with complex behavior, like a block that acts as a timer, or a memory cell, since those take up a relitively huge amount of space. In fact, that would be useful for the regular game.

PS: I like how in that story, it is only after the entire length of the universe that computers get advanced enough to assemble error messages with proper grammar.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:06 pm »

http://skylands.goonygoon.com/

Is.. this borked for anyone else?

I tried going to the address in the background, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Somebody forgot how their scroll bar works?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4760 on: September 28, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »

I took a gander at Skylands. Holy crap. This place looks fun.

Surprisingly enough, considering a feature in this, probably not new, but I discovered a little exploit considering saves and spawns with the assistance of crates. No wonder the readme tells you to unload at a crate before choosing a spawn point (further investigation also shows the spawn files that are zipped are password protected, which makes finding those spawnpoint obelisks necessary).

Nonetheless, I've adopted this feature and added it to my game, except the beds are teleporters. Sleep in one bed, wake up in another; or if stuck elsewhere, use the teleport. Of course, like Skylands, waking up in a different bed will strip you of your possessions. I only have the Starter Fort point installed, but I should have others made in due time. It should significantly reduce travel time to other locations at least, but with a semi-clean slate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:45:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: September 28, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

Regarding the skylands passwords...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: September 28, 2010, 07:06:03 pm »

The only thing I can think if is that for some reason their server thought they were hotlinking to the background image. Or something...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: September 28, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

That site uses awful HTML practices, I have to say.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4764 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »

A nimble jump that if I miss will cost me my life in Skylands, I have plenty of treasure (some made, some found) and I would've also progressed towards one of my goals (a dungeon), just as I make my running jump, my computer hiccups for a sec and I miss.

Now I gotta start from the beginning with a bit of a land scar kudos to creepers. (Screw that, I'm rage-reloading)

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:19:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:27 pm »

I know I'm not the only guy here who recognizes a YTMND page design when he sees one.  Right?

Anyway, I finally connected my rail-line across my map.
Spoiler: Check it out. (click to show/hide)

It's not actually finished yet.  My bridges are just stoneworks in the air right now, and need more convincing buttressing.  And some walkways.  More importantly, my testrun reminded me that powered cart-trains don't like going up more than a one-block rise at a time.  Where the track comes out of the hills to the beach it drops about six levels at once, and that can be easily changed.  The bigger issue will be the corner at Dead Man's Junction (current opening to my mammoth excavation/exploration/zombie-battling site), where it rises and then drops by five steps.  I'll have to engineer a tunnel of some sort, and probably a station just for giggles.

I'd still like to add a junction off to my spawn point, in that sandy pit.  I used, I believe, nine sets of 64 tracks for the whole enterprise so far - ran out exactly at the end station.  The other paths would have been more efficient, but not as scenic and/or easy to build.  I have no reason to worry about cleaning anything up, but I'd like to be able to ride my train in peace before starting on the castle, otherwise I'll never get back to it.

Any comments or suggestions so far?  I know it's no computer or floating glass sphere, but I've never been a megaproject kind of guy, and I'm pretty impressed with my effort so far.  The biggest time-sink though is just wandering back and forth to jobsites.  I've always wondered how other people get around that problem.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4766 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:03 pm »

I would just get a majority of the transporting work over with by placing chests at key points, taking the time to fill them, and then work on the individual sections at a time, provided you made the chests easy to find and sufficiently filled with materials.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: September 28, 2010, 07:39:45 pm »

If you don't mind being exploitative, I would probably go for some kind of perpetual minecart setup. JX23 on YouTube is doing a "walkthrough" of Minecraft, he calls it. His latest two videos are just of him responding to channel comments while Minecraft is running in the background. Barring livestock intervention, his minecarts can run indefinitely. The necessary boosters are easy to construct.

If you're low on coal, this could be a lifesaver.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: September 28, 2010, 07:58:16 pm »

Yeah, I like the idea of the Hotwheels boosters.  But when is anyone ever low on coal?  I get angry at coal because I think it's veins taking up space that the RNG could have given to iron.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: September 28, 2010, 08:04:12 pm »

Yeah, I like the idea of the Hotwheels boosters.  But when is anyone ever low on coal?  I get angry at coal because I think it's veins taking up space that the RNG could have given to iron.
This. I barely even waste my pickaxes to mine it.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1380