Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422183 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4035 on: September 12, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

Ivefan, that's pretty much the only explanation left as it doesn't seem like he has an officially listed blueprint or predictable course for what content he chooses to put in. They can't all be as open and organized as Toady, but at least he tweets updates fairly regularly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:08:35 pm by Lap »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: September 12, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »

Rather than it being the only explanation left it should have been the first one to be thought about. Well, for anyone that have been reading his blogs for a while.
'Because it's fun' seems to be his way of doing this, though it might change somewhat now that hes stating a business about it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »

'Because it's fun' seems to be his way of doing this, though it might change somewhat now that hes stating a business about it.
Hopefully this doesn't effect the end product.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: September 12, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »

I haven't followed closely until more recently and now all I've been seeing are impressive facts about how much money he's making or how many copies he's sold.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »

I tried to buy Minecraft today. It seems that Paypal doesn't like my debit card. Oh well. I'll just keep my money.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »

I tried to buy Minecraft today. It seems that Paypal doesn't like my debit card. Oh well. I'll just keep my money.
After the mountain of money Notch got from the recent sales Paypal is investigating his account. They are going to seize the assets inside if they find something wrong with his dealings.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: September 12, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »

After the mountain of money Notch got from the recent sales Paypal is investigating his account. They are going to seize the assets inside if they find something wrong with his dealings.
I read about that. For some reason, I assumed they would still let people deposit money but not let him at it until they finish whatever they're doing. Yeah, it makes more sense to block that too.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: September 12, 2010, 08:48:55 pm »

Banking is all about haves and have nots and Paypal is especially obnoxious. Try to pay off your $6K in credit card debt all in one go? Yeah your bank will freeze it and investigate. Got some cash in your Paypal account? It might just disappear and it'll be months before things are straightened out.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: September 12, 2010, 09:07:17 pm »

They are going to seize the assets inside if they find something wrong with his dealings.

Or do what paypal does and do it just for the hell of it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:57 pm »

Paypal: Shitty.

Notch is really good at implementing things that nobody was expecting on his Secret Friday Updates. Cacti, compasses, clay, redstone, the list goes on.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: September 12, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »

If/when Notch decides to add trap doors, he'll add them. And probably not before then.  :P

(By the way... one obvious issue with trapdoors is coming up through them. Sure, falling through a trapdoor is easy. But what if I've got a mining shaft, and I think trapdoors would be a cool way to cover them - that is, I want to be able to climb back up? A vertical shaft with a ladder wouldn't work - if there's a trapdoor at ground level, then the ladder would have to terminate one level before, and you wouldn't be able to climb out. A stairway would work, but it'd require at least two trapdoors, and they'd have to be opened separately. Neither is a really good solution, and it's a fairly common use case.)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:24 pm »

Actually, you can still get out with a 1 tile lip. When you climb to the top of a ladder, you actually stand on top of the ladder block. Then you just jump the 1 tile gap.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4047 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:56 pm »

Or the trapdoor could be on the bottom of the tile, like snow, instead of being on the top. Then the ladder could come all the way up.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: September 13, 2010, 01:19:27 am »

Actually, you can still get out with a 1 tile lip. When you climb to the top of a ladder, you actually stand on top of the ladder block. Then you just jump the 1 tile gap.

True, but it's kind of awkward.  ;D

That, and, if the trapdoor works like the current doors and continues to occupy a thin strip along the side of the block, there's a 50% chance one of the trapdoor panels would lie above the ladder, thereby blocking you when you try to stand on the ladder. (Then again, careful positioning of the trapdoor could prevent this...)

Or the trapdoor could be on the bottom of the tile, like snow, instead of being on the top. Then the ladder could come all the way up.

So long as you can still smoothly walk over it, I'd be fine with this. Still the issue of "what happens to the panels when the door is open?", though, since the hanging panels would probably hang down into the empty cube below. :-\

Either way, I wasn't completely serious about debating the details of a trapdoor implementation (though it would be a cool feature - hatch covers are darn useful things!). I really just pointed this out to show that adding trapdoors isn't trivial:
A block that on activation goes from solid to nonsolid (and changes it's graphic) is a 5 minute code job.
*ahem*  ::)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: September 13, 2010, 01:25:59 am »

My trapdoor example didn't include separate solid door panels. Stop making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you want to talk about trapdoors with actual solid doors instead of my example that is essentially just toggling the clipping of a block then go ahead, but don't put words in my mouth.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1380