Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176112 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #465 on: October 16, 2009, 05:33:27 am »

I found something in the raws;

ore of mercury, powdered gives vermilion dye
[MATGLOSS_STONE:CINNABAR]
[NAME:cinnabar][COLOR:4:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:QUARTZITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']

Is this from Dig Deeper or vanilla Dwarf Fortress?

DD.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:31 am »

I think you might have done something wrong with the demons. I just breached into a glowing pit filled with tentacle demons. But they where all dead! Every time I got the message one spawned, I'd check and it'd already be deceased.

Scratch that. I guess they managed to kill themselves or my dwarves killed them. Some are actually alive....ew, covered in vomit goo and slime
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:20:47 am by Zargen »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2009, 11:56:19 am »

I found something in the raws;

ore of mercury, powdered gives vermilion dye
[MATGLOSS_STONE:CINNABAR]
[NAME:cinnabar][COLOR:4:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:QUARTZITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']

Is this from Dig Deeper or vanilla Dwarf Fortress?

Just checked my copy of vanilla DF (40d11).  That note's in there, so this is not a Dig Deeper modification.  Of course at the moment there's no way to powder ore to make dye in either vanilla DF or DD, so it's an irrelevant note.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 16, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

My off-duty military sparring dwarves won't wear the great helms I made for them.  They're set to plate mail, they're wearing all their other armor.  The helms aren't forbidden, and they're accessible.  Any ideas why they won't put on the helms?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 16, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »

Ohgod, was just attacked by a Giant Cave Spider Queen. None of my legendary marksdwarves using master-freakin-work bolts could even scratch the thing, I had to dogpile her with hammerdwarves.

The end result? One permanent invalid affectionately called "Lefty" and another now-marksdwarf known to his friends as "Dimbeard". And when I say lefty, I mean really. His entire right side is just... gone! The only thing that kept it from being a massacre was they spread out right before she sprayed them, so 4 of the 20 stayed unwebbed. But seriously, I had upwards of 30 multi-legendary dwarves fighting the thing and it was close. If she had stunned all of them, she kills fast enough that there could easily have been 8 or 9 casualties before the marksdwarves killed her or they got unstunned.

Also, I take back the part about lefty. His new name is "Torso boy". That really sucks.

Strike that again. He bled to death.

Edit: A cat walked over the webs I had carefully put restricted zones over. He got butchered by the trap under it. So now I'm out both some extremely valuable cloth and a cat. Freaking GCSQ!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:11:37 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tyrael the Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 16, 2009, 09:16:32 pm »

I downloaded it but the data folder only has speech for some reason  :-\
Ilral Gatiz The treaty of Fondling, a cave spider silk short skirt

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2009, 02:03:45 am »

I downloaded it but the data folder only has speech for some reason  :-\
That's as it should be.  Most of the mod is in the Raw folder.

Tyrael the Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:49 am »

Thanks, i thought it wouldn't work because it didn't have replacement objects for the stuff it said to delete in the data folder, now it works fine  ;D
Ilral Gatiz The treaty of Fondling, a cave spider silk short skirt

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 17, 2009, 05:39:55 am »

This might have been said earlier in the topic, but...
I went to the download page and one thing it said is that you changed bronze to be stronger than iron.
...why? Is it because casserite is rare? Iron in the real world has always been stronger, and iron weapons over bronze was a HUGE advantage in ancient times.

I'm sorry, but bronze over iron just really bugs me somehow....And I want this mod. I can change the raws somehow right? I really don't know how to do that.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2009, 06:23:34 am »

This might have been said earlier in the topic, but...
I went to the download page and one thing it said is that you changed bronze to be stronger than iron.
...why? Is it because casserite is rare? Iron in the real world has always been stronger, and iron weapons over bronze was a HUGE advantage in ancient times.

I'm sorry, but bronze over iron just really bugs me somehow....And I want this mod. I can change the raws somehow right? I really don't know how to do that.

That's misinformation. Bronze is in many ways a superior metal to iron. The reason that the iron-age took over from the bronze age is that it was cheaper, easier to work and lighter. Just because something is newer doesn't always mean it is better. For example the ancient Greeks, Carthaginians and Romans developed many advances in their societies that we have expanded on today. The Romans built roads, aqueducts, sewerage and other great works... After Rome fell people went back to beating each other over the head with sticks for 1,000 years...

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze

"Though bronze is generally harder than wrought iron, with Vickers hardnesses of 60-258 vs 30-80, the Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age; this happened because iron was easier to find. Bronze was still used during the Iron Age, but for many purposes the weaker wrought iron was found to be sufficiently strong. Archaeologists suspect that a serious disruption of the tin trade precipitated the transition. The population migrations around 1200 – 1100 BC reduced the shipping of tin around the Mediterranean (and from Great Britain), limiting supplies and raising prices. As ironworking improved, iron became cheaper; and as cultures advanced from wrought iron to forged iron, they learned how to make steel, which is stronger than bronze and holds a sharper edge longer."

Ohgod, was just attacked by a Giant Cave Spider Queen. None of my legendary marksdwarves using master-freakin-work bolts could even scratch the thing, I had to dogpile her with hammerdwarves.

The end result? One permanent invalid affectionately called "Lefty" and another now-marksdwarf known to his friends as "Dimbeard". And when I say lefty, I mean really. His entire right side is just... gone! The only thing that kept it from being a massacre was they spread out right before she sprayed them, so 4 of the 20 stayed unwebbed. But seriously, I had upwards of 30 multi-legendary dwarves fighting the thing and it was close. If she had stunned all of them, she kills fast enough that there could easily have been 8 or 9 casualties before the marksdwarves killed her or they got unstunned.

Also, I take back the part about lefty. His new name is "Torso boy". That really sucks.

Edit: A cat walked over the webs I had carefully put restricted zones over. He got butchered by the trap under it. So now I'm out both some extremely valuable cloth and a cat. Freaking GCSQ!

Bahahaha... Your engravers will be engraving GCSQ murder for decades! I'm glad that it went so well... GCSQ's are probably the most powerful entity in the existing world... They existed in the age of angels and reapers during the first war and are probably the ONLY thing that survived through to the present day, deep underground in their monstrous lairs...

[Note to self... Buff GCSQ's hahahahahaha].
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 17, 2009, 07:26:43 am »

I embarked on a glacier, with mammoths and penguins. I mostly hunted penguins, but eventually got curious enough to send three nearly naked legendary wrestlers to tackle the mammoths. They spent the better part of a game season attempting to strangle the mammoths or just bruising their organs. The end result was two or three mammoths dead, one wrestler dead, a crippled wrestler and a mammoth with significant organ damage.
It was fun, but I imagine that the same dwarves decked in armor would have kicked mammoth ass.
The mammoths ought to be stronger.

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 17, 2009, 07:38:08 am »

...Oh. All my life people have been telling me iron is superior to bronze in all ways.  :-\
Sorry for being stupid.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 17, 2009, 10:37:13 am »

I'm no chemist, but I've read that the source of this confusion is that "iron" isn't a single thing.  There are lots of different iron ores with lots of different impurities, and those impurities create most of the problems.  For example, one of the theories about the sinking of the Titanic is that the steel in its hull had more sulfur than normal, which meant that it became unusually brittle in cold temperatures.

But enough about that.  Why won't my dwarves wear their great helms?  Are other people seeing this, or is it something weird my my particular game?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 17, 2009, 10:38:00 am »

...Oh. All my life people have been telling me iron is superior to bronze in all ways.  :-\
Sorry for being stupid.
??? What?

It really IS superior in all ways. It's - depending on the bronze - lighter, mostly more common, harder, less ductile...
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 17, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »

Bahahaha... Your engravers will be engraving GCSQ murder for decades! I'm glad that it went so well... GCSQ's are probably the most powerful entity in the existing world... They existed in the age of angels and reapers during the first war and are probably the ONLY thing that survived through to the present day, deep underground in their monstrous lairs...

[Note to self... Buff GCSQ's hahahahahaha].

Actually no. All my engravings are of orcs killing wild animals or wild animals killing orcs. Kinda sucks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57