Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 176252 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: DIG DEEPER [v1.3] NEW RELEASE!
« Reply #495 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »

Go ahead and ADD ME, if you're still doing that.

This mod is really great, I'm glad to find another mod that adds to the game without changing the feel...

I haven't used a major mod since one I tried sometime about two Christmases ago...I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure the guy just called them -[insert username]'s mod, and he released it at least twice. He was open to people's suggestions and would add them. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

But anyway, thanks for working on this project. Oh, and orcs are crazy.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 24, 2009, 10:25:09 pm »

Add me!

First Orc attacked the beginning of my second year. Slaughtered immigrants. At first I was like. Pfft. 4 wrestler and 4 lashers only? Then I noticed their full steel platemail. Wrestlers got destroyed by bolt fire. Lashers ran up and used their horrible steel death whips to impale orcs through various bodyparts. Only way I beat them away was by destroying the bridge across my moat and sealing all the doors  ::)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:28 pm »

Oh, and I have a question.

I started out a fortress and sometime in the first or second year an ambush wiped them out. I reclaimed and now there are 4 'friendly' orcs on the map. They've been there for 6 years, and have never harmed a dwarf of mine. They do, however, kill merchants, which impairs me to some extent. My question is, will I ever be sieged/ambushed/warred upon by the orc civ, and will the 4 orcs currently on the map ever turn hostile?

Wheatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 25, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »

I'm on my first game with the mod. It's a hot, I think savannah or desert or something with untamed wilds. I was kind of too excited on the embark screen so I just jumped to the first place the finder found that had a river, magma and high danger wilderness. I forgot to make sure I got all civs though. I always do that! Hoping for some fun (aka ridiculously vicious) wildlife. I haven't seen any so far, just some llamas, groundhogs, rabbits, and pheasants. Pretty awesome so far. Set up some aboveground fortifications to hold off the orcs. Probably still going to get slaughtered though. That's what I signed up for!

One question though. I skimmed through the thread a bit and there was some mention of new magma safe rocks. Is there a more in depth readme (read the one in the first post) somewhere that contains this info and other tweaks from vanilla? Or if someone knows could they tell me? I'd like to get my metal industry started to outfit my army asap.

Thanks in advance!

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »

Question: Does the mod actually change the way food is processed and stored?

In my current Dig Deeper game, I can't get my dwarfs to store plants, prepared meals or meat into barrels. Only booze gets barreled, and I have an overabundance of barrels. I've already lost several batches of meals and a whole horse's worth of meat to spoilage.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 25, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »

Have you tried deconstructing the building filled with food and putting a food storage designation on it?

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:40 pm »

No, haven't tried that, how could that help?

If it is of any significance, it might be worth noting that it was a reclaimed fortress, and the kitchen a building left there by the former inhabitants. Same thing happened to meat left in a butchery built by me.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 26, 2009, 04:43:18 am »

One question though. I skimmed through the thread a bit and there was some mention of new magma safe rocks. Is there a more in depth readme (read the one in the first post) somewhere that contains this info and other tweaks from vanilla? Or if someone knows could they tell me? I'd like to get my metal industry started to outfit my army asap.
You could try the list from my Molten Rocks mod, as that's where DD got the magma-safe stones from. I'm not sure what version of MR is used in DD though, so there may be a few stones that are safe in MR, but not yet in DD.

I think all versions of MR had alunite as magma-safe, though. Since you have magma, you probably have an igneous extrusive layer, and those are loaded with alunite. I'd give that a shot. :)

If I recall correctly, dolomite was also an early entry, and it comes in entire layers, so if you have it, you'll be swimming in magma-safe stone. Quartzite and chert also come in layers, but I think those were relatively late additions. If you have them, you could try dumping a stone in the magma to see if it melts or not.

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:01 am »

If it is of any significance, it might be worth noting that it was a reclaimed fortress, and the kitchen a building left there by the former inhabitants. Same thing happened to meat left in a butchery built by me.

Double check your
  • ptions page, there is a command on Dwarves and Food there.  It somehow changed on me and I lost a year's worth of crop and meat trade to it before I finally found the cause.  You sound like the same issue, because they'll deal with booze just fine, but never haul food to barrels or stockpiles.

But strike the earth!  I dip deeper!

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 29, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »

I was playing around with this mod for a few days as a human town, and my first reaction is that the orcs in this game are much harder than in the orc mod, mainly because of the huge numbers that they attack with.  This should be advertised a bit more because this was certainly not what I had expected and was a bit disruptive to me - I had expected orcs here to be similar to the orc mod, and not significantly harder.  I usually run my human towns trap and wall free (except for a few cage traps to have fun with captured orcs) with an emphasis on soldiers equipped with melee weapons.  This sort of strategy is very feasible in the default orc mod, but in this mod, it's almost impossible to get enough soldiers to fight off the 2nd or 3rd wave of orcs that come.  It also seems as though the crossbows the orcs are using are much more lethal than usual, but I have no proof of that.

I want to emphasize that I would not necessarily find orcs any more difficult than usual if I simply holed up and trapped my entrance like everyone always does - it's really a quite trivial task to do - but I intentionally limit myself in this fashion, and build my town above ground.  I would not have attempted such a feat if I had known beforehand that the orcs were significantly more numerous in this mod than in the other orc mod, which I had initially assumed this mod based its orcs on.

I'm not necessarily saying that this is a bad thing, only that this mod should be advertised as SUPER ORC MOD with some extra stuff, instead of EXTRA STUFF MOD with orcs because in its current form it is a bit deceptive.

In addition, I think a detailed changelog would be very helpful.  I know some of the updated values of metals from picking around in the raws, for instance, but I hardly have them committed to memory and a changelog with this sort of information would allow me to quickly reference it.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 29, 2009, 04:20:08 pm »

Yeah I was very disappointed after playing this mod to go to the orc mod for what I thought would be even tougher orcs and find they weren't.

And it certainly is quite possible to fend off all orc sieges in this mod with nothing more than melee dwarves (at least as far as I've played).

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 29, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »

Well if you get rid of the kitchen with all the food still in it, the food will stay there wouldn't it after you get rid of the building? And then you just put a food storage area on where it is, thus prevent spoilage.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 30, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »

I've modded the orcs to only be active in the winter and spring. This actually, in my experience, is easier in the embark (where orcs show up WAY too early, no possible way to kill 15 orcs in the first summer), harder in mid game (since goblin ambushes show up more frequently, explained later), and the same in endgame where usually I've slaughtered so many orc leaders they stop sieging in large numbers anyways.

I must say though that I hate the goblins more than the orcs currently. Orcs are polite enough to announce their arrival, goblins pop out with crossbows and open fire on my haulers. Just lost a hauler and a hammerdwarf (who got hit in the spine by a lucky shot then passed out in combat) to the goblins.

On the bright side, I have a new megaproject planned - goblin plachinko!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 30, 2009, 09:28:31 pm »

I just downloaded this mod last week, been playing around with it.

I like the additions of the new metals and such, as well as the monsters and weapons and seeds and whatnot. Seeing all these new plants and foods has been really cool, especially since it's motivating me to gather overland more, which adds more diet variety.

But DAMN those ORCS are nasty.

I just got hit with my first siege and they killed...13 Dwarves.

I had a really nice trap hallway all set up with cages and swords and spears, but I'm pretty sure you're changed around the AI a bit, haven't you?

Or something.

Because instead they walk all the way around my Fortress to a secret entrance I built for the fisherdwarves, go down the stairs, smash open a locked door?! and then proceed to murder my entire crew. My Champion military is all dead, and the only reason I survived was my 6 legendary Miners and Artifact makers that I drafted.

So I know that they at least know to avoid traps, and smash doors, both of which were surprising and frightening to me.

Also, I saw like 6 of them walk across my entire trap hallway at least 2 times each without a scratch. Which is really surprising, since they passed at least 3 cage traps and 3 weapons traps each time. Do Traps work less in this mod and are ORCS immune to traps or something?

Luckily, some migrants just arrived with a Dungeon Master, which is nice.

On the con side, my super ranger is dead, which is disappointing, since he was hunting unicorns (He already got one and was about to bag another when the ORCS came).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 30, 2009, 09:31:29 pm »

Orcs have [trAPAVOID].
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57