Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 65250 times)

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!"
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:15 pm »

Hurr hurr... People love to say that. But everyone knows it just ain't that fun when you're losing.

Good grief. I just reread this post in the context of your most recent one, and I must say... That is just so sad. Yes, losing isn't fun. I'm a highly competitive guy so I like to feel effective, and I like to win, but if you really can't ever stand losing? If it's never okay? That's pathological. That's a problem.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »

Hurr hurr... People love to say that. But everyone knows it just ain't that fun when you're losing.

Nah.  Or at least, it's most fun when you're right on the verge of all dying.  When two guys are in the yellow, two are on temporary health and one of them is in black & white, there's no medkits, you're out of ammo, one guy went running off ahead and you JUST managed to cap the smoker who grabbed him before he got incapped, and you STILL manage to all make it to the saferoom, that's what this game is all about.

It's not about getting to the saferoom with four greens, four medkits and four pill bottles.  It's not about "Oh look, a full cabinet, too bad we don't need it", and it's not about "Oh Christ, their boomer just stepped out from behind a building fifty feet away...again".  It's about being scared to go up the ladder, it's about running for your life before the Infected respawn, it's about being blind and firing wildly and not being able to find the guy who's pounced and screaming for help.  It's about getting strangled on the saferoom door because you didn't keep up with your team, it's about giving away your medkit when you've got five health but your buddy is in black and white, and it's about screaming "Leave me behind!" into the mic when your team sets off the car alarm and you get swarmed just outside the building with the saferoom while the hunters wait to take down your teammates if they come back to help.

Any game where you had to scream "Leave me behind and go!" is a GOOD GAME in my book.

This. Situations like these are what keep me coming back to the game when I get the chance, despite having binged on this game for upwards of 24+ hours in a single sitting. The adrenaline rush is fantastic when you single-handedly carry your team those last couple steps to victory, fighting against all odds to keep the last two survivors, besides yourself, alive.

One of my favorite moments was in this game where we had this one new dude named "Wayway" who wouldn't talk via text or mic, but was keeping up okay even if he was clearly new and a little unaware of his surroundings (wandering off and such, but generally responding to our requests to get closer via the mic).

Eventually he started getting on my nerves so I had to laugh, and near the end of Dead Air or whatever the name of the airport campaign is I got incapacitated by the dieing tank just a little too far from the plane while saving Wayway, and I told him to go without me as the horde ran.

I said into the mic, in my most dramatic voice, "Tell... tell my wife I...I hate... Wayway..."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »

Nah.  Or at least, it's most fun when you're right on the verge of all dying.  When two guys are in the yellow, two are on temporary health and one of them is in black & white, there's no medkits, you're out of ammo, one guy went running off ahead and you JUST managed to cap the smoker who grabbed him before he got incapped, and you STILL manage to all make it to the saferoom, that's what this game is all about.

It's not about getting to the saferoom with four greens, four medkits and four pill bottles.  It's not about "Oh look, a full cabinet, too bad we don't need it", and it's not about "Oh Christ, their boomer just stepped out from behind a building fifty feet away...again".  It's about being scared to go up the ladder, it's about running for your life before the Infected respawn, it's about being blind and firing wildly and not being able to find the guy who's pounced and screaming for help.  It's about getting strangled on the saferoom door because you didn't keep up with your team, it's about giving away your medkit when you've got five health but your buddy is in black and white, and it's about screaming "Leave me behind!" into the mic when your team sets off the car alarm and you get swarmed just outside the building with the saferoom while the hunters wait to take down your teammates if they come back to help.

Any game where you had to scream "Leave me behind and go!" is a GOOD GAME in my book.

This. Situations like these are what keep me coming back to the game when I get the chance, despite having binged on this game for upwards of 24+ hours in a single sitting. The adrenaline rush is fantastic when you single-handedly carry your team those last couple steps to victory, fighting against all odds to keep the last two survivors, besides yourself, alive.

One of my favorite moments was in this game where we had this one new dude named "Wayway" who wouldn't talk via text or mic, but was keeping up okay even if he was clearly new and a little unaware of his surroundings (wandering off and such, but generally responding to our requests to get closer via the mic).

Eventually he started getting on my nerves so I had to laugh, and near the end of Dead Air or whatever the name of the airport campaign is I got incapacitated by the dieing tank just a little too far from the plane while saving Wayway, and I told him to go without me as the horde ran.

I said into the mic, in my most dramatic voice, "Tell... tell my wife I...I hate... Wayway..."

I utterly utterly agree, dying is fun as long as it's dramatic and awesome
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:16:41 am by Jackrabbit »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "I call zombie bullshit"
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2009, 03:06:48 am »

Morsigil: I have to disagree with you.

You're right about games being fun, but I think games become less fun when people start ignoring the rules.

An example from the real world: You're playing football (or soccer, otherwise this doesn't make any sense to some people) in gym class and having a good game. Your team leads 4-0 and that causes someone from the other team to snap. He grabs the ball in his hands and runs to the goal screaming that he just scored. From my point of view that screws up the game for everyone. For an added twist he might refuse to give the ball back so that others could keep playing.

Of course you can red card (or in L4D, kick) this clown, but he has still ruined a part of the game by breaking the concentration (and the immersion) of the players that have tried to achieve those things.

Some people get their fun from games by playing to the best of their capability and getting completely immersed in the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Though there's the subset of people that refuse to believe that they can screw up and rage at their team for the smallest errors. I think these are the people that take games (and sports) too seriously.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:31:13 am by LASD »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:47 am »

I just died laughing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2009, 04:47:41 am »

Been playing since I bought this on Sunday, very fun. I was playing survival against a clan last night and it was horrible, an absolute slaughter, my entire team left me to play alone against them which kinda sucked but it also made it all the more satisfying on those few occasions when I actually did manage to do nasty things to them. On the last level of dead air I was the tank as the plane fuelled up so I ran into the plane thinking it wouldn't let them leave with me on. Apparently I was wrong though as the plane happily took off to carry a tank into a safe zone which gave me a little chuckle. Anyhow after the slaughter had ended they gave me major props for actually staying for so long against them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2009, 07:13:48 am »

Yeah, I have to agree with umi and lasd here. It's very frustrating, when 4 people's fun is spoiled by one guy. Its truly annoying, and both makes it extremely irratating for both survivors and infected. As much as i like winning, i hate pushovers so having a good team to fight is always great fun :D But when one person on that team griefs, it gets boring and i start to dislike them. Like those stupid voice spammers, yes you know who you are and i dislike you for doing it!

Onto other less horrible news, we must have games at somepoint. We have enough people here for a 4v4 infected game now. So i suggest, a game this weekend at somepoint. With fun taculars.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2009, 08:51:37 am »

I had a game where I was dying outside the safehouse. I decided to be zombie bait as I had no chance to survive the safehouse ambush.

I fell down and they made it safely to the safehouse.

Right before I died, I said (In a groaning voice): Tell my friends I don't hate vests.

Take a guess who I was playing.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:38 am »

A boomer?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:01 pm »

Yeah it's weird, clans on this game are way nicer than they are on any other game.  Mostly because they have a lot to lose (everyone else leaves the server) if they're not...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2009, 01:48:21 pm »

That's what it means to be coorporative. I remember being in a game where at the end of every round, they would kick out the weakest link. Whoever underperformed got kicked unanimously. I was quite glad I survived till the end... was more afraid of my team members than the opposing team.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2009, 03:51:30 pm »

Morsigil: I have to disagree with you.

You're right about games being fun, but I think games become less fun when people start ignoring the rules.

An example from the real world: You're playing football (or soccer, otherwise this doesn't make any sense to some people) in gym class and having a good game. Your team leads 4-0 and that causes someone from the other team to snap. He grabs the ball in his hands and runs to the goal screaming that he just scored. From my point of view that screws up the game for everyone. For an added twist he might refuse to give the ball back so that others could keep playing.

Of course you can red card (or in L4D, kick) this clown, but he has still ruined a part of the game by breaking the concentration (and the immersion) of the players that have tried to achieve those things.

Some people get their fun from games by playing to the best of their capability and getting completely immersed in the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Though there's the subset of people that refuse to believe that they can screw up and rage at their team for the smallest errors. I think these are the people that take games (and sports) too seriously.

I really think you guys are confusing what I mean, despite the fact that I'm making it as clear as possible.

I am not suggesting that it is okay to "grief", like voice chat spam or shoot your team members or that kind of shit, unless they decide they want to do that for a couple minutes for shits and giggles (but that gets old fast). The thing is, there are no "rules" for this game. You have goals that you can choose to achieve, and you have optimum ways to do that, but ultimately the goal of the game is to have fun and the method of achieving that is going to vary from person to person and game to game.

If a team is absolutely dominating another and it is clear that, without a change of team members, it is going to go on, then what is the value in observing the "rules"? Tell me that. Who profits? Very few people like to play versus so that they can avoid challenge. As fans of games like Dwarf Fortress, Elona, Nethack, etc, we Bay12ers are at home when taking on Sisyphean tasks, but no one here can say that they don't start to get antsy after they have been banging their head against a wall for hours. After a while, wouldn't you rather be playing catch with your survivor teammates by tossing propane tanks at each other and trying to catch them with the use button mid-air?

Here is a great example: Last night my team was getting dominated, but as usual I do my very best to make sure we do well. I melee boomers away, I pick up my teammates, I heal them if I can, toss them pills and point out stashes of weapons, grenades, propane tanks and gas cans. I speak frequently and clearly into my mic and normally I take on the role of "leader" in coordinating our movement and reprimanding players making poor choices.

Eventually the rest of my team had rage-quitted because we were losing so bad and it was just me, a boomer, versus 4 survivors, so I came out and said "I COME IN PEACE!" and we all ran around for a while. Then, one guy came on and joined my team and we, the 4 survivors and I the boomer, attacked this poor lone hunter and killed him. It was great, but it only happened once.

Then, I said, "We can't exist this way. I can't exist. I must go... Goodbye, my friends" as I stepped into a fire and stood there burning to death far enough away from them that they wouldn't get splashed, looking at them. One of the survivors came running at me going, "NOOOOOooooh!" and as I exploded I quit.

You guys are seriously missing out if you can't have fun like this sometimes.

That's what it means to be coorporative. I remember being in a game where at the end of every round, they would kick out the weakest link. Whoever underperformed got kicked unanimously. I was quite glad I survived till the end... was more afraid of my team members than the opposing team.

:o I... you call this cooperative? This is fascism man. Are you retarded? I'm serious. Do you have a mental disability? Because I will take back all the mean shit I said if you do, because this is absolutely, bar-none, the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of people doing in this game, short of team killing, and COMPLETELY counter to what you've been saying. THIS is how you ruin the game. You're adding rules that actually reduce the amount of fun people are having so that what, you can have a smoother ride? How about you learn to accept and enjoy the differing levels of skill that people offer, try to help those who are doing poorly and learn from those who do better? How about YOU leave if you're not having fun in that game, and find another one that fits your desires? Better yet, start or join some elite little clan where you can all sniff your own farts and shove sticks up your ass, since you seem to be a big fan of that.

Let's make someone feel bad about themselves so we can stroke our grotesque egos and pat ourselves on the back. Let's give someone a bitter taste to suck on for a while so that we can feed our sick and twisted sense of self-worth.

Clearly you put way more weight on doing well in this game, and probably most games, than is really healthy. I would ask you reassess the reasons for which you play video games. The saddest part is that I am probably better at this game than you despite all your nerd rage and elitism.

I like to win. I like being the underdog. I never give up, however from time to time I switch my priorities so that everyone has more fun. Rarely (read: never) do I intentionally ruin the fun for others.

Since I can't run this game on my computer, I can only play it here at my friend's place. I'm currently on his computer now, as a matter of fact, and his steam ID is Bonepoint.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:01:51 pm by Morsigil »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:17 pm »

When did this conversation become so hostile?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2009, 04:18:56 pm »

Morsigil, you make sense and your example sounds funny, but situations where those kind of things can be pulled off without anyone getting unhappy are really rare (I wonder what the Hunter thought). Also yes, I was speaking of frustration-based griefing.

But man, seriously, you have no reason to question other people's mental capabilities, I hardly think retardation has anything to do with opinions about cooperation and teamwork in an online game.

There's many things of which people can be too serious about (from other people's point of view) and debating about games is one of those things.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:22:29 pm by LASD »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2009, 04:21:52 pm »

Sweet, I just did a game in versus on boathouse finale.  The survivors were totally kicking our butts (although we did kill one).  They were just about to board the ship when I got the message, "Youring playing tank" or whatever.  I charge them up the dock, they were 1 second away from victory when I came in and knocked them all in the water, the rest of my team killed them all separately.  MUahaha.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52