Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 65235 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!" 40% discount ends May 4th!
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2009, 06:48:17 pm »

Yeah, those right-at-the-gate wipes are a real keyboard-thrower, especially when it's someone's incompetence that causes it.

Another annoying thing.  Has anyone else noticed that Versus mode totally plays favorites?  One team will be struggling out of the saferoom, while the other one never sees a horde bigger than 20 zombies.  Pisses me off.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2009, 07:06:27 pm »

What I love is "Oh man, we did some damage to the other team but they found three medkits...we're getting beaten up pretty hard now, but we'll be doing fine once we get to the cabinet.  ... ONE BOTTLE OF PILLS?!!"

Me, I actually love those right-out-the-gate wipes.  They're frustrating and terrifying and SHORT.  XD

There's one particular map in a city, forget which one, where I've gotten strangled to death on the saferoom doorframe like three times.

Played against a clan recently, which was actually fun.  I think the KEY to enjoying this game is to talk to the other team, and stick around when the going gets tough.  They were four clan members, we were pub scrubs, and we got stomped, sure, but it was a lot of fun playing against competent people and seeing their tactics, trying to split them up, etc.  They even declared "PISTOLS ONLY" versus the tank in the Death Toll finale, which was a real blast, running around chucking trees at people....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:27:39 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2009, 08:31:15 pm »

They sound pretty badass to go pistols only against a tank.

And on the Finale.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »

This is why people pray to the AI Director. It does play favorites, but not like you would think. It punishes the people doing well, makes it harder for them, while always attempting to keep the spawns the same, if not in the same position.

After a while of playing, you get pretty used to the difficulty. If you play with friends, with Ventrilo or something, you don't really get angry. It's all good fun. You just need to keep it in mind.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2009, 01:37:23 am »

They sound pretty badass to go pistols only against a tank.

And on the Finale.

You'd be surprised.  All the weapons after single pistol are pretty close to 200 DPS, including reloads, except for the autoshotty which is 300 vs tank (and 400 versus everything else).  Dual pistols is more DPS than the Uzi.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2009, 03:53:14 am »

I laugh at people who spazz out when the team wipes in Survival.

Honestly, the idea is to last as long as you can. If you want to survive, play the campaign or versus. Playing Survival means you will die. It's just a matter of how long it takes four tanks and three hunters/smokers to kill you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!"
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:49 am »

Just got it yesterday. I'll joind DFC soon, but I havn't got much time now.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that molotov's are greate for freeing survivers that have been knocked down by a group? Sure, the 'tov will take some of their health and some of yours when you go to pick him or her up, but that's not nearly as much as what'd your teammate would lose if you'd try to go at it with your guns. Plus, the chance that you'll get mobed upon is far smaller.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2009, 05:00:16 am »

Yeah, those right-at-the-gate wipes are a real keyboard-thrower, especially when it's someone's incompetence that causes it.

Another annoying thing.  Has anyone else noticed that Versus mode totally plays favorites?  One team will be struggling out of the saferoom, while the other one never sees a horde bigger than 20 zombies.  Pisses me off.

Indeed. In the second stage of Death Toll, the other team ended up with the big weapons in the first big hall and 2 sets of 3 medkits and some pills. What do we get? A tank waiting right outside the safe room, no weapons untill the very end and a single medkit and a single set of pills. And before we got those weapons we got another tank.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:56 am »

Anyway, has anyone noticed that molotov's are greate for freeing survivers that have been knocked down by a group? Sure, the 'tov will take some of their health and some of yours when you go to pick him or her up, but that's not nearly as much as what'd your teammate would lose if you'd try to go at it with your guns. Plus, the chance that you'll get mobed upon is far smaller.

You don't play on expert do you?  Fire is the solution to pretty much everything on that setting... >.>
Advanced, it can kill the prone person and/or knock you down before you pick up the prone person...

And... as long as you yourself is not getting mobbed... you have a free pass at headshotting/killing all the infected on top of the prone person relatively quickly.

Its even easier when other people are boomered and crouch down...
From perspective of assault rifle person, friendly fire is low issue for me.

(I play it on the 360...)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:02:37 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:36 am »

On the point with the AI director playing favourites, yeah it does quite alot. But it does it in a really sneaky way tbh. I remember a game, I'm not sure if you were there Cthulhu, but we spawned with 2 tanks on a non-"here comes the hoard" scene. It was so funny and i felt so bad for the other side. But, after my friends stopped complaining over skype, they beat us with the normal hoards. Given, 2 witches spawned beside each other and mauled 3 of our team.

I think valve said theres a 95% chance that the versus mode game spawns/tank appearances will be the same in all cases. But that 5% is hillarious when it isn't fair. I like it because it keeps the game fresh.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:01 am »

Hey, thanks for the heads up about the steam group. I may actually play steam once I get a better comp but for now, I'm just hanging around.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2009, 08:37:00 am »

Ok got more time at my hands, so I joined the group as Cortaptor. Hope to see some of you guys soon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »

This game is one of those games where if your graphic settings are up way high, it actually becomes more difficult. For myself, I actually find it really difficult to differentiate between zombies and survivors especially after the survivors are covered in blood. Then there's the blurring, anti-aliasing, HDR, etc.

It looks pretty, but it isn't good for competitive play.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »

You don't play on expert do you?  Fire is the solution to pretty much everything on that setting... >.>
Advanced, it can kill the prone person and/or knock you down before you pick up the prone person...

I was going to say--first time I played Advanced, I learned FIRE BAD.  Chuck it on an incapped guy, and if you're boomed or something, he'll be dead before you can pick him up.  Oh god, that was embarrassing.

I may have to join the Steam group.  I go by Traveller on L4D these days...well, I'll probably join after work.

This game is one of those games where if your graphic settings are up way high, it actually becomes more difficult. For myself, I actually find it really difficult to differentiate between zombies and survivors especially after the survivors are covered in blood. Then there's the blurring, anti-aliasing, HDR, etc.

It looks pretty, but it isn't good for competitive play.

In my opinion, if you're using L4D for competitive play, you're doing it wrong.  Serious competitive play anyway.  This game is all about torturing the survivors, which is great fun when you're the survivors.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2009, 12:48:31 pm »

Hurr hurr... People love to say that. But everyone knows it just ain't that fun when you're losing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 52