Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 65229 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!"
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »

Losing is fun!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2009, 01:48:25 pm »

I was going to say--first time I played Advanced, I learned FIRE BAD.  Chuck it on an incapped guy, and if you're boomed or something, he'll be dead before you can pick him up.  Oh god, that was embarrassing.

I once set myself on fire (with a propane tank I think) right before a hunter got me.  I lost a bunch of health but the fire managed to kill the hunter before the hunter incapacitated me.  So the fire not only saved my life but even kept me from getting knocked down!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2009, 01:53:07 pm »

Hurr hurr... People love to say that. But everyone knows it just ain't that fun when you're losing.

Hurr durr... I know one guy was saying losing was fun because it was short, which equals getting into zombie mode faster.

Getting your ass handed to you can be fun if you have the right attitude about it. When it's clear you can't win and you stop caring, that's what you start getting creative and do silly shit (I.E. Everyone lights themselves on fire and leaps off a cliff, everyone starts break dancing, etc).

Usually I'm drunk when that happens so that might be a variable.

The game really does have some issues when you get to the higher levels of play. For instance, zombies don't have a chance when you're talking about one good clan against another. Just like in Natural Selection, aliens had to fight tooth and nail to take down a team of coordinated, experienced marines, and they still usually didn't win. Things are better with the change in the survivor melee mechanic, but still...

But really, few of us are going to be joining a clan and going all cal-I and shit. At the public level of play it's a really fun game.

There really isn't a better feeling than picking a hunter out of the air with a pump shotty while running, except perhaps side stepping and meleeing him to death. That's my favorite "Fuck you".

One funny phenomenon I've experienced with this game is that once you get good enough to dominate in Expert, you'd think you'd be able to solo or at least take very little damage in Easy right? Wrong. Perhaps it is just that my friend and I would let our guards down going from Expert to Easy, but even when I would try to bring the pain just like in Expert I'd find myself more beat up in Easy than in Expert. Bizarre, ne? This is despite the fact that in Expert a single zombie blow does the damage of literally 10-15 zombies who have gotten off at least two blows.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2009, 01:54:57 pm »

A funny story someone related on 4chan was that they had seen a guy named "Hank Hill" running around with a propane tank for an entire campaign.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »

Hurr hurr... People love to say that. But everyone knows it just ain't that fun when you're losing.

Nah.  Or at least, it's most fun when you're right on the verge of all dying.  When two guys are in the yellow, two are on temporary health and one of them is in black & white, there's no medkits, you're out of ammo, one guy went running off ahead and you JUST managed to cap the smoker who grabbed him before he got incapped, and you STILL manage to all make it to the saferoom, that's what this game is all about.

It's not about getting to the saferoom with four greens, four medkits and four pill bottles.  It's not about "Oh look, a full cabinet, too bad we don't need it", and it's not about "Oh Christ, their boomer just stepped out from behind a building fifty feet away...again".  It's about being scared to go up the ladder, it's about running for your life before the Infected respawn, it's about being blind and firing wildly and not being able to find the guy who's pounced and screaming for help.  It's about getting strangled on the saferoom door because you didn't keep up with your team, it's about giving away your medkit when you've got five health but your buddy is in black and white, and it's about screaming "Leave me behind!" into the mic when your team sets off the car alarm and you get swarmed just outside the building with the saferoom while the hunters wait to take down your teammates if they come back to help.

Any game where you had to scream "Leave me behind and go!" is a GOOD GAME in my book.

And getting knocked off the roof in the No Mercy finale is still fun, dammit.

A funny story someone related on 4chan was that they had seen a guy named "Hank Hill" running around with a propane tank for an entire campaign.

lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:09:40 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2009, 02:11:17 pm »

Getting your ass handed to you can be fun if you have the right attitude about it. When it's clear you can't win and you stop caring, that's what you start getting creative and do silly shit (I.E. Everyone lights themselves on fire and leaps off a cliff, everyone starts break dancing, etc).

That would be the part of the game when people stop actually playing. The opposing team will just get pissed because you guys are being morons. It's like denial. "We're losing but we don't care because we can now do stupid shit like this. Neener neener neener! You can't touch us because we're in a saferoom. Watch us waste your time!"

I have no respect for cowards and worms. Wasting other people's time, being completely selfish and ignorant of other parties in the game, these are things I cannot approve of. Go ahead and do it as much as you want in singleplayer or with your friends who want to do it with you, but when you're playing with others, DON'T. I'd rather you ragequit than be a dick.

Also, I've never experienced what you're talking about the expert - easy transition. Pretty sure everyone here can beat easy without firing a single shot.

Sowelu: That doesn't count as losing, man. That's called winning. Losing is a versus score of 3400 - 30.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »

I miss your old avatar Umiman.

But no. Declaring civil war is fun. Spraying the "Zoey has startled the witch" spray and having everyone fawn over it, including the unspawned infected, is fun!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2009, 02:45:22 pm »

I don't think I've seen that spray, but I have my guesses about its content >_>;

And really, it's just a slight nudge from 'winning by the skin of your teeth' to 'losing horribly', and really, losing horribly is not that bad.  Shrug.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:57 pm »

Nah, it's not x-rated:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »

Yes!  Being a prick has finally paid off.
Shoes...

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »

Anyone else feel physically sick while playing the Boomer? The voices are just so completely revolting. Especially his agonized moans make me feel really queasy. Props to the voice actor.

Listen if you trust your stomach.

P.S. I wanted to change the "Pills here!" text to Boomer-sounds, but I couldn't handle the onomatopoeia.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:40:43 pm by LASD »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

Eh, seriously, I dislike playing versus.  Its cause I'm usually on the pub team vs the clan/friends team... which usually means my team gets stomped... and my teammates switch off every 5-10 minutes.  Not fun in my books, especially in excess...
Not to mention the blocking and other shit people pull...  Waste of time.
Another negative might be that infected are at normal level...
And corner camping... Valve fixed that didn't they?  I'll have to give it a fresh look....

Eh, either way, pub games for me tend to be best on advanced... from my experience, the least... frustrating... Expert pub games only when I feel lucky.  They tend to go to hell at some point due to lack of overall skills and/or people leaving... could meet some good people though.

I would so give versus mode another try if there was an option to set infected at advanced difficulty...

I've got to play survival mode more to form an opinion...
Fun times when defending around the ammo pile.  More of a rush whipping around all directions and keeping those things off ya and the others while avoiding friendly fire.  Instead of camping in 1 of 4 corners. 
Must be cause the infected hit like norms here...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "I call zombie bullshit"
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2009, 05:31:44 pm »

Those are the most awesome images I've seen all day.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2009, 08:38:02 pm »

That would be the part of the game when people stop actually playing. The opposing team will just get pissed because you guys are being morons. It's like denial. "We're losing but we don't care because we can now do stupid shit like this. Neener neener neener! You can't touch us because we're in a saferoom. Watch us waste your time!"

I have no respect for cowards and worms. Wasting other people's time, being completely selfish and ignorant of other parties in the game, these are things I cannot approve of. Go ahead and do it as much as you want in singleplayer or with your friends who want to do it with you, but when you're playing with others, DON'T. I'd rather you ragequit than be a dick.

Also, I've never experienced what you're talking about the expert - easy transition. Pretty sure everyone here can beat easy without firing a single shot.

Sowelu: That doesn't count as losing, man. That's called winning. Losing is a versus score of 3400 - 30.

Man I don't know why you feel it's appropriate to rage about some isolated past instances here, but you need some cheel peels.

Try to follow:

If I'm getting my ass kicked for like an hour straight, why can't I get silly for five or ten minutes again? Point one.

Point two. Why don't YOU leave? If you're such a SRS GMER then you shouldn't have a problem seeking out a new game.

Point three: GAME. GAMES ARE FOR FUN. If the game has stopped being fun because of inordinately unbalanced teams, I have a choice... Yes, it's my choice, to stay and enjoy myself or look for another more balanced game. That's not your choice. Mine. YOUR choice is to leave and find a more serious game, but you wouldn't even be in the game at that point, would you? No. You mean such srs bizness that you left by the third or fourth round when it was that 3400 to 30.

Point four: LoL Selfish. Says the man making demands of me and how I enjoy my games because he is raging over some isolated incidents which do not fit the parameters of the situation I described in the first place. That's right. I said if I am losing terribly and my team isn't or can't pull their heads out, I'm going to have fun with it. If you can't handle me going AWOL after 45 minutes of seriously pulling teeth to try and survive and failing, then you need to take a flying leap children.

I'm serious kid. If you can't tell the difference between an honest-to-god, neck and neck, skill based game and a farce, and then cannot find time for humor in both, then you need to reevaluate your priorities. Are you playing to have fun, or prove something to yourself/others? Really, what does this say about you? And the opposing team for that matter? You and your neurotic teammates can't tell when the game is a joke and let it die peacefully? God I can just imagine you rage hard and type all kinds of whiny shit when the losing team doesn't keep struggling futilely to satisfy your emasculated ego.

People who take games too seriously piss me off as much as people who don't take them seriously enough.

Edit: Oh, but I rarely do get that silly in the first place... I've gotten good enough at this game that I can make the best of even the worst teammates, and I've gotten good enough at LIFE that I can make the best out of the worst situations. Raging just makes it worse. One day you'll understand that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:43:01 pm by Morsigil »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52