Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260409 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #795 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:53 pm »

Well, no sieges so far. We're in Summer 256, for those that have lost track (I know I did...). Morul is up to competent swordwarf just due to some sparring and wiping out a few thieves and horses (it looks like all of the wildlife is returning, but not yet the vermin).

The pumping and draining system for flooding the hunting arena is done and it's now filling the holding area. The dwarves have 2 more embark tiles to clear of stone. It takes about a season or a bit more to clear a tile, assuming they don't have orc armor and guts to haul, so I fully expect the tree farm to be sprouting before Morul maxes out.

I've been running around labeling levers. I'm usually pretty good about that, and had been here, but there were some I had skipped. We've had two births since the tantrum spiral (all children were killed during that) so other things are getting back to normal.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 31, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

You had mentioned that Morul was married but never had kids because the birth cap had been reached. Any of the kids Morul's?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 31, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »

You had mentioned that Morul was married but never had kids because the birth cap had been reached. Any of the kids Morul's?

No, not yet. Also interesting is that Morul has no friends. Well, he did, but they all caught on fire and died. He spends most of his time off-duty but doesn't usually hang out around the meeting area. He likes his suite.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 31, 2009, 01:38:04 pm »

I guess that's not so surprising... when you've got the nicest room in all the land and you're the most interesting dwarf of all time, ever, talking to other dwarves can't ever really be the most engaging thing you can do with your spare time.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 31, 2009, 02:05:00 pm »

"I managed to get three giant cave spiders!"
"Mmhm. What did you do with the rest of the day?"

I forget, is his wife okay?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 31, 2009, 02:10:17 pm »

Also interesting is that Morul has no friends. Well, he did, but they all caught on fire and died.
*Snrrrk*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 31, 2009, 03:13:05 pm »

Last martin said She was in bed with red wounds.  Perfect for baby making!  :P

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 31, 2009, 03:44:17 pm »

Yeah, she's fine. Healed up okay once I locked her in her room. Well, I did that to almost everyone during the tantrum spiral as once they'd get wounded, someone tantruming would wander along a beat them to death. Nobody died of dehydration, in spite of being locked in. She's running around making bolts and hauling stones. Not a very glamorous life for her, though she has a kickass bedroom for a craftdwarf.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 01, 2010, 06:42:30 am »

He defeats orc sieges without breaking a sweat.
He has created more wealth than the rest of his civilization combined.
He once got a yellow wound just to see how it would feel.
He is Morul, the most interesting dwarf in the world.
"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Nob Ucat"

Kudos to you, Martin. Glad to see Morul will be finishing his most epic quest.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:45:21 am by Inkster »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 01, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

He defeats orc sieges without breaking a sweat.
He has created more wealth than the rest of his civilization combined.
He once got a yellow wound just to see how it would feel.
He is Morul, the most interesting dwarf in the world.
"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Nob Ucat"

Gods worship Morul. It is true.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 01, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »

Winter 256:

First siege since my return. Only 4 squads but that should go up now that the fortress is turning out adamantine wafers like mad.

The orcs were dialed back pretty much to stock, and Morul cut through them with ease using the sword. He's up to skilled swordwarf. I think I'll increase Orc damblock by one for each skill level that Morul goes up, just to stretch out slightly how many strikes he can get in without making it so high he doesn't hit.

Probably 2-3 seasons before the hunting area is clear in order to flood. It'll take a month or so to pick up the armor and corpses, especially with so few laborers.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 01, 2010, 07:00:49 pm »

No, not yet. Also interesting is that Morul has no friends. Well, he did, but they all caught on fire and died. He spends most of his time off-duty but doesn't usually hang out around the meeting area. He likes his suite.

Not surprising, I guess. I imagine it would be like in Matrix: Reloaded when Neo gets back and everyone follows him around like Jesus, except Morul's awesome is self-made.

His wife probably is too busy to have kids with you mass producing giant stacks of orc bone bolts. Only a dwarf could get so busy carving carcasses into trade goods that they'd forget about sex.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 02, 2010, 05:55:04 pm »

I don't mean to rush genius, but damn I want that save!

Any chance at an ETA?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:18 pm »

Not really. It's running about 18 hours a day now. There's another siege on. I'm waiting for 2 squads to get into the main approach tunnel so I can lock them in. Then Morul will go out, work over the other 2 squads probably breaking the siege and then sneak into the tunnel where the remaining 2 squads are.

He needs at least 6 more sieges to finish out. Fortunately the orcs only took one season off, so they're coming a bit more regularly now. But a siege takes about 24 hours RL time to play out. It's slow going to begin with, and with the extra 64+ orcs on screen, it really drags.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 02, 2010, 07:33:53 pm »

Ok, siege broken. 1 orc got away (shakes fist!).

Morul is up to talented sworddwarf, so he's 1/4 of the way there. We're going to forgo cleaning the battlefield since the dwarves are nearing a milestone in clearing the hunting area, and since we could get another siege in just two weeks. The orcs all arrived on the west side of the map, farthest from the approach tunnel. Usually they arrive on the east and this goes faster.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 71