Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260361 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #825 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:48 pm »

It's a link on the main Dwarf Fortress page.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 03, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »

He defeats orc sieges without breaking a sweat.
He has created more wealth than the rest of his civilization combined.
He once got a yellow wound just to see how it would feel.
He is Morul, the most interesting dwarf in the world.
"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Nob Ucat"

Kudos to you, Martin. Glad to see Morul will be finishing his most epic quest.

Say, what IS Morul's beverage of choice? Does he have a preference?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:23 pm »

He does. He prefers strawberry wine.

Goddamn girly man. I would have pegged him for Sewer Brew or Swamp Whisky. The drink we have the most of in stock is sunshine (5000) since I can grow sunberries. Trying to round out the drink menu since the dwarves were getting tired of it.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 03, 2010, 11:57:58 pm »

And I totally used too much water. It's draining and we're now under 2/3 vs 3/4 water, but damn, this is taking ages. I need another siege to distract me from this.

Oh, and 1500 steel bars and 2200 adamantine wafer so far. You guys will be able to make a whole new fortress out of steel and adamantine. I wish I knew how many pieces of armor and weapons got melted down, but it's gotta be north of 10,000.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:59:57 pm by Martin »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 04, 2010, 12:21:53 am »

Goddamn girly man. I would have pegged him for Sewer Brew or Swamp Whisky.
Why would Morul need a crude drink?

Don't s'pose you could spare a screen of Morul's prefs/thoughts? I'm curious now.

edit: In something non-megasized please.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:24:41 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:03 am »

Goddamn girly man. I would have pegged him for Sewer Brew or Swamp Whisky. The drink we have the most of in stock is sunshine (5000) since I can grow sunberries. Trying to round out the drink menu since the dwarves were getting tired of it.

Haven't you ever seen one of those old Westerns where somebody walks into a bar and orders milk (strawberry wine is, of course, the nearest dwarven equivalent) only to be laughed at by locals who insist he drink a manly drink instead?

Of course, when Morul tosses somebody out of the bar, they usually wind up in orbit, but it's the same basic principle.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 04, 2010, 01:40:23 am »

I don't see any reason whatever for Morul to hold with a stereotype.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:28 am »

Don't s'pose you could spare a screen of Morul's prefs/thoughts? I'm curious now.

Morul Cattenmat Nentukmerseth Deg has been ecstatic lately. He was glad to have punishment delayed recently. He had a wonderful drink lately. He slept without a proper room recently. He had a satisfying sparring session recently. He admired own completely sublime Container lately. He admired a very find Door lately. He had a truly decadent drink lately. He admired own completely sublime tastefully arranged Statue lately. He has complained of thirst lately. He has complained of hunger lately.

He is married to Zefon Giltdwellers. He is a casual worshipper of Id Flickercrystal the Heat of Gold.

He is an enemy of The Cruelty of Jungles. He is an enemy of The Deceiver of Hermits. He is an enemy of The Scourge of Eyes. He is an enemy of The Doctrine of Funerals. He is a citizen of The Young Lance. He is a member of The Immortal Boats-Armor.

He likes Brimstone, Billon, Claro opal, pearl, black bear bone, the color blue, mountains, chain mail, quivers and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, he prefers to consume Strawberry wine. He absolutely detests fire snakes.

He is confident under pressure. He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity. He dislikes intellectual discussions. He is modest. He is confident. He has a sense of duty. He acts impulsively. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Morul has a 26 day prison sentence for refusing to fill a production order. Pretty mild relative to the others. The worst is beating and 576 days in prison - 2 counts of murder and 6 counts of disorderly conduct. Tantrum spirals are a bitch.

I think the 'proper room' is because his room doesn't have a door, and does have an up/down staircase. But it's a 100% oaken block room and floor, heated by surrounding magma, with a masterwork oaken bed, 6 masterwork steel statues, 6 masterwork steel chests, 2 masterwork steel cabinets, 1 artifact tower-cap cabinet (with an image of the named fire imp from the year the fortress was formed), and 8 masterwork clear glass windows, two of which are on his twin fireplace. I think it's adequately proper, personally.

Not sure what container he saw, but the statue is definitely a reference to his masterwork adamantine statue which he encrusted with every possible gem and whatnot available.

The 'Cruelty of Jungles' are the orcs. I don't know what the other two enemies refer to, they aren't the elves or humans.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:58 am »

I see four enemies listed, actually..

As for the "slept without a proper room" it means that he slept in a barracks somewhere, I believe. This can happen even when the dwarf owns a bed and is civilian, though I'm uncertain why they choose to sleep elsewhere.
Tilesets

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 04, 2010, 02:18:32 am »

Are you sure his bed isn't listed a a barracks? My dwarves get that thought when they sleep in a public bed.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 04, 2010, 02:28:51 am »

No, his bed isn't set as barracks, but it's possible he did sleep in the barracks recently. He regularly breaks for a nap or a nosh between orc squads.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 04, 2010, 06:08:11 am »

No, his bed isn't set as barracks, but it's possible he did sleep in the barracks recently. He regularly breaks for a nap or a nosh between orc squads.
Have you changed his squad settings to say "Sleep in room"? Not sure why he would get a sleep without a proper room except from being locked out, in the military or hunting, and the last two don't (I think) give negative thoughts.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 04, 2010, 11:56:37 am »

He is a member of The Immortal Boats-Armor.
He is modest. He is confident. He has a sense of duty. He acts impulsively.

Best traits by far for Morul.  Also he isn't just a member, he's the mascot.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

Did you pick Morul for his personality because I think that fits him perfectly.

Also I think he may have decided to sleep in the barracks recently.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:21 pm »

Have you changed his squad settings to say "Sleep in room"? Not sure why he would get a sleep without a proper room except from being locked out, in the military or hunting, and the last two don't (I think) give negative thoughts.

Whoops, nope, I forgot to do that. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71