Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391313 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5280 on: October 22, 2010, 06:51:49 am »

Ah, but the reverse is more important, nowadays. [...]
Oh, indeed.  Actually said that at one point, but it got too long.  You know my replies. :)

And loss of function is indeed very easy to happen.  Change of function perhaps next easiest.  Multiplication of function could be either 2nd or 3rd place, depending on the mechanism.  Addition of all other completely new functions (from "nothing", or while keeping an original function intact) is probably the most unlikely thing to happen.

Well, sort of, as change of function must not mean that a vital chemical pathway isn't completely lost (another reason why multiplication might be 2nd most important), and losses of function might be most common but could be most commonly life-inhibiting in their different (thus chucking it down the list), etc, etc, but that'll do as a summary of the immediate effects, even though it'll represent itself differently in such surviving offspring that inherit such effect-changes.

(Edited even that down.  Thus some parts of that attempt at an explanation are wrong, but will do as a fairly advanced level of Lies To Children, I'm hoping that those with even more expertise than me (i.e. have a still current involvement) would agree.)

((Sorry, far too many nested asides.))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: October 22, 2010, 07:55:08 am »

Example: Diabetes.  With the HFCS and Sugars, and even glucose (baby foods [squash], etc.) and we ingest on a regular basis, it's no wonder our bodies fail to maintain the proper levels of glucose and blood sugars.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: October 22, 2010, 10:17:11 am »

So, by keeping the weak, sick, and degenerate artifically alive and reproducing, we are quickly degenerating our species, where we can no longer survive without technology. The other option, however, is even worse.
I'd say it's more like we're adapting to live with technology.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: October 22, 2010, 11:26:05 pm »

Eventually we will genetically engineer ourselves to be perfect, so it's no biggie if the gene pool gets weakened.

Of course, our version of "Perfect" may be different then natures version of "Perfect", especially when it comes to survival of the fittest.  But we made nature our little bitch anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »

Of course, our version of "Perfect" may be different then natures version of "Perfect", especially when it comes to survival of the fittest.  But we made nature our little bitch anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

We are all bound by natural law.  So no, I'm pretty sure everything we do is precisely as nature intended.

Who's the bitch now?  :P

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

Every living thing but us.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: October 22, 2010, 11:35:14 pm »

Every living thing but us.
I'd argue the opposite... "Nature" may be tricked into accepting the changes we make (anti-rejection drugs, etc.) but those are simply bandages and constructs and in the end, we still break down.  Until mankind creates a method of restoring ourselves and living forever, we are still victims of "nature."

You may think that because you think/talk you are somehow exempt from the same things a tree has to bear, but you will both succumb to natural law.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: October 22, 2010, 11:49:56 pm »

You are making the definition of "Nature" far too broad.

In fact, either go all they way too "We are made of particles, and everything else ins made of particles ergo we will always be like everything else" or just stick with the normal definition.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: October 23, 2010, 12:19:35 am »

I prefer to think that we're all made of the same stuff as the stars. For some reason, that's really comforting.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: October 23, 2010, 12:38:23 am »

When I'm feeling sad I always like to remember that even the worst or greatest man who will ever live will still be an insignificant footnote to a universe that itself will die, destroying any possible evidence that such a person or thing could have even existed.

For some reason, my Anti-Social Nihilistic Fantasies give me, a Anti-Social Nihilist pleasure! Who new!

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:29 am »

I never understood that sentiment. Who cares about the rest of the universe? We have enough consciousnesses around on this planet to entertain and enlighten the rest, we don't need to worry about what a giant mass of quivering wavelengths thinks.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: October 23, 2010, 01:35:34 am »

Eventually we will genetically engineer ourselves to be perfect, so it's no biggie if the gene pool gets weakened.

The only ones who say that are those who've never seen what nature is capable of.  We can't even eradicate mosquitoes, rats, cockroaches, or ants, let alone hurricanes, earthquakes, and volcanoes.

No, my friend, nature is not our bitch.  We're the bitch that nature would have if it even cared that we were here.  As it is, we're just collateral damage when we get in its way.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: October 23, 2010, 02:13:18 am »

Nature=Bitch
Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: October 23, 2010, 08:16:37 am »

You are making the definition of "Nature" far too broad.

In fact, either go all they way too "We are made of particles, and everything else ins made of particles ergo we will always be like everything else" or just stick with the normal definition.
What definition of Nature are you using then?
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:+nature

I was referring to this Nature:
Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world. "Nature" refers to the phenomena of the physical world, and also to life in general. It ranges in scale from the subatomic to the cosmic.
Which is broad.  So I don't know how I can take a broad term and make it too broad... but whatever.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: October 23, 2010, 10:26:30 am »

You said that once we could live forever, we would no longer be victims to the natural world, physical world, or material world.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 370