Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391329 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5295 on: October 23, 2010, 10:58:48 am »

Ah, but the reverse is more important, nowadays. People often think evolution favours complexity and more features, while the opposite is usually the case. Most animals can produce their own vitamin C, but we and several other fruit-eaters can't. Probably because we no longer needed to, because we ate fruit. Degeneration in genes is much more pronounced and a lot quicker than new abilities. See for example troglobionts, or cave species. Most, if not all of them lost all pigment and vision (genetic convergence), and haven't been separated from their surface-dwelling cousins for that long, as most limestone caves aren't very old. Because of vitamin D supplements, we will slowly lose the ability to synthesize it ourselves.

So, by keeping the weak, sick, and degenerate artifically alive and reproducing, we are quickly degenerating our species, where we can no longer survive without technology. The other option, however, is even worse.
Vitamin D deficiency will be the least of our genetic problems in the future.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: October 23, 2010, 11:05:05 am »

Vitamin D deficiency will be one of our no longer problamatic genetic problems in the future.
Fixed, because it is only a matter of time untill we make genetics our bitch. We already have glow-in-the-dark pigs, so I'd say we've made a good start.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: October 23, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »

~45 more years is the assumed date of the discovery of the removal of aging..... Then Toady can make Dwarf fortress forever  :D

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: October 23, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

Vitamin D deficiency will be one of our no longer problamatic genetic problems in the future.
Fixed, because it is only a matter of time untill we make genetics our bitch. We already have glow-in-the-dark pigs, so I'd say we've made a good start.

Hey now, My future is your intermediate era here, get yer facts straight.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: October 23, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

Nature=Bitch

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only when you pick the parts of nature smaller than yourself as examples.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And sometimes, not even then.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: October 23, 2010, 03:23:16 pm »

We fix all that in a matter of months, and I might remind you that we've eliminated two viruses from this planet, with two more soon to follow.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: October 23, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »

We fix all that in a matter of months, and I might remind you that we've eliminated two viruses from this planet, with two more soon to follow.

Viruses destroyed by humans:  2
Viruses destroyed by not humans:  innumerable

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: October 23, 2010, 03:54:05 pm »

... Wat.

SCIENCE is what makes humans special. ;-;

If you get a pig in a labcoat then I'll believe you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: October 23, 2010, 04:16:11 pm »

... Wat.

SCIENCE is what makes humans special. ;-;

If you get a pig in a labcoat then I'll believe you.

Got to quote man, don't know what your talking about.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: October 23, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

Neither do I.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: October 23, 2010, 04:48:38 pm »

Some viruses just won't be destroyable, though.  Anything that mutates quickly enough to resist drugs and vaccines is gonna be tough.

Having said that, though, theoretically, AIDS could be eradicated quite easily.  If EVERYONE in countries with high rates were tested, and EVERYONE who came up positive received anti-retrovirals, they wouldn't spread the disease anymore (anti-retrovirals lower the level of virus in you to the extent that you can't really give it to anyone else anymore).  That way, noone else would get the disease, and when the people who already have AIDS die (mostly through normal causes), the disease will be eradicated.

The problem is it'd cost a lot of money in the short term, and would be very, very hard to organise.  It'd end up saving money, though, since we wouldn't have to treat people with AIDS in the future.

...Uh, my source would be New Scientist, but you need to be a member to view their articles >.<

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: October 23, 2010, 05:34:57 pm »

I heard some reports about a new theoretical method to eradicate the influenza family though creating a vaccine that would target the areas of it that never mutate between strains. Not sure if it would work, but there you go.
No Gods, No Masters.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: October 23, 2010, 05:42:04 pm »

True enough, but being able to bury the dead and rebuild is hardly what I'd call making nature our bitch.  It's a bit closer to being able to hide the bruises nature gives us.

Making nature our bitch would mean keeping those disasters from happening in the first place while also finding a harmless or even useful outlet for the energy those disasters would normally release.  We have not done so.  Nature is not our bitch, because the best we can do is make it so fewer of us are killed by it every year.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: October 23, 2010, 07:12:57 pm »

Some viruses just won't be destroyable, though.  Anything that mutates quickly enough to resist drugs and vaccines is gonna be tough.

Having said that, though, theoretically, AIDS could be eradicated quite easily.  If EVERYONE in countries with high rates were tested, and EVERYONE who came up positive received anti-retrovirals, they wouldn't spread the disease anymore (anti-retrovirals lower the level of virus in you to the extent that you can't really give it to anyone else anymore).  That way, noone else would get the disease, and when the people who already have AIDS die (mostly through normal causes), the disease will be eradicated.

The problem is it'd cost a lot of money in the short term, and would be very, very hard to organise.  It'd end up saving money, though, since we wouldn't have to treat people with AIDS in the future.

...Uh, my source would be New Scientist, but you need to be a member to view their articles >.<

Actually that's not true, bacteria only has a limited amount of space for genes. And the more gene's they have the more ways there are to kill them. There will always be a way to destroy a type of virus.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:08 pm »

I heard some reports about a new theoretical method to eradicate the influenza family though creating a vaccine that would target the areas of it that never mutate between strains. Not sure if it would work, but there you go.

The issue is, ANY gene can mutate.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 370