Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391318 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5310 on: October 23, 2010, 07:43:07 pm »

Actually that's not true, bacteria only has a limited amount of space for genes. And the more gene's they have the more ways there are to kill them. There will always be a way to destroy a type of virus.
Try telling that to XDR Tubercolosis or MRSA.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: October 23, 2010, 08:11:49 pm »

I will after I get my masters degree in biology.... 8 more years to go :(

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: October 24, 2010, 12:20:41 pm »

You said that once we could live forever, we would no longer be victims to the natural world, physical world, or material world.
That's not what I said at all.  In reply to:
We are all bound by natural law.  So no, I'm pretty sure everything we do is precisely as nature intended.

Who's the bitch now?  :P
You said:
Every living thing but us.
And I disagree.  Every living thing, including us, is precisely as nature's bitch (bound to the laws of nature.)  We can attempt to break those laws, but we are entirely bound by one specific rule.  Everything dies.

If we were able to find a way to make ourselves live forever, and were able to bring our bodies back from the dead state indefinitely... then we can call Nature our "bitch," but until that time, we are still bound by Natural law.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:24:51 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: October 24, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »

But your talking like "Everything dies" is the only natural law.

The others that your missing include being in the natural world, physical world, or material world.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: October 24, 2010, 01:55:03 pm »

^Um, what are you talking about?

It looks like you're saying that "being in the natural world, physical world, or material world" are other laws that he didn't mention.  It doesn't make any sense.

"Everything dies", or better yet "Everything eventually stops working" is actually pretty close to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which is a pretty big one as far as laws go and, in combination with the first, goes a long, long way in defining our existence.  It's not the only one though.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: October 24, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »

He's saying (or at least what I'm understanding him saying) that nature would be our bitch when we live forever, like thats the only rule that nature has.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: October 24, 2010, 03:49:16 pm »

He's saying (or at least what I'm understanding him saying) that nature would be our bitch when we live forever, like thats the only rule that nature has.

Well, making a perpetual motion machine would be another one. How long until we achieve that?

Or making a generator that produces more energy than the one used to make it work (including matter).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: October 24, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »

Well perpetual motion is impossible because things like gravity and such change over time.

As for generators that change energy into more energy? Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. And I personally all matter was made up of energy at some point. So maybe in the far future we will tear solar systems apart to make an all mighty kingdom :)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: October 24, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »

I understood what he said, I was confused by what you said.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: October 24, 2010, 05:03:24 pm »

Well perpetual motion is impossible because things like gravity and such change over time.

As for generators that change energy into more energy? Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. And I personally all matter was made up of energy at some point. So maybe in the far future we will tear solar systems apart to make an all mighty kingdom :)

Hey, thanks for the info, Sherlock :D

Those are laws of nature, so the point is, living forever is only one law we could violate to make nature our bitch. Those would be other ones. I'm sure there's plenty of more things that are impossible to do, which would make nature our bitch.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: October 24, 2010, 05:09:49 pm »

1st law of thermodynamics:  Energy can't be created or destroyed.

2nd law of thermodynamics:  There is no such thing as 100% efficiency.  Any time energy does work in any system, some of that energy goes into secondary things like sound or very slight heating of the system's components.  This energy is too dispersed to be recoverable and indeed any recovery mechanism would also lose some of the energy it used.  The only way to maintain the system is to keep supplying it with more energy.  If the supply is cut off, the system eventually breaks down, no matter how efficient it is. 

This applies to living organisms, machines, ecosystems, stars, and the universe as a whole.  Once the top of the universal "energy chain" runs out (that would be those elements suitable for fuel in stellar fusion reactions), everything down the chain that depends on those will start to shut down.  The first and second law say that what's really eventually going to kill us if nothing else does first is that the universe just plain runs out of gas.  Only solution is to find a way to leave this universe and find another one.  Good luck with that.  But, we won't have to worry about that until long after the sun itself has gone out, assuming we find a way to escape the solar system before the sun incinerates the planet in its death throes.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: October 24, 2010, 05:55:13 pm »

The point at which we break the laws of nature is the point where we will be able to change the way physics works, like changing gravitational constants or the value of pi.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

More-than-four-dimensional-universe-with-all-manner-of-physics-bending-possibilities-we-have-not-entirely-ruled-out-what?

Seriously. The universe is far wierder and more awesome than we can really comprehend with our current levels of science. Maybe beyond our comprehension or observation entirely. But it's still a pretty incredible idea. Maybe the unbendable, unchanging laws we know of aren't as constant as we'd like to believe. Of course, then there's probably laws above those laws that need a good thrashing if we are to truly tell physics to get bent.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5323 on: October 25, 2010, 04:02:52 am »

Note that the second law doesn't say we must die, it simply says we will die if not given energy.  I guess it does say that we will die, simply because at some point the universe will have no energy to give, but it doesn't say we have to die of old age.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: October 25, 2010, 05:58:28 am »

Actually that's not true, bacteria only has a limited amount of space for genes. And the more gene's they have the more ways there are to kill them. There will always be a way to destroy a type of virus.

Quick note...  Bacteria != Virus.

Viruses actually have less genes in them than a bacteria (not sure if there are any complex viruses with more than the simplest bacteria, without going back to some old books or wiki, but in general this should still be the case), because they make use of the genetic material of the cells they typically infect to do most of the complex stuff like setting up the replication pathways, so they need not so much of it themselves).  This is also means that viruses are very capable of soaking up mutations, because, unlike "full blown" cellular life, they aren't (as) susceptible to mutations happening to the reproductive mechanisms (something else is doing it for them!) and, like-as-not, stopping there from being a next generation.

As long as a virus is actually tricking the cell to put its genetic code copying machinary into play, encapsulating it in a suitable membrane and then get those encapsulations spread (e.g. by getting the cell to kill itself and disperse its contents), viruses don't really care what new coating they will have.  If it doesn't latch onto other cells, then obviously it fails, but as long as it isn't destroyed by environment or a primed immune-system it can probably sit around until it does find itself latching onto something that its protein coat likes.  Unlike a proper cell, it doesn't have to sustain itself in the same way.  (And even 'proper' forms of life can be universally hardy, look at tardigrades, etc as creatures that aren't just extremeophiles but able to survive handle a wide range of environments, albeit in something akin to a form of chemical 'stasis'.)

Anyway, the point is that there's less genes to aim at (by the quoted logic, less ways to kill them, although I'm not sure that it's quite as proportional) plus the genes (or at least genetic sequences) are really quite malleable and moving targets are harder to hit.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 370