Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391902 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4665 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »

Rational/Religious: He believes in the gods, but he doesn't base his actions on prayer, sacrifices, oracles, etc.
Technically, before well into the enlightenment period (or possibly even into the modern era), rational did mean religious due to the limited information at hand. Until modern science answered the "but how/why does x," the most rational theory was religion based on the available information.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »

Yes but that wouldn't have allowed me to make an on-topic joke.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: September 30, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »

Checking the traits list, here they are:

Rational_Concerns (1) - TroopMorale 1
Superstitious (2) - Management -1
Hugely_Superstitious (3) - Management -2, TroopMorale -1

So, Rational Concerns means he plans ahead and is ready for unforeseen consequences, making his troops happier. The potential development for it is into superstition and paranoia, which would mean taking weirder and stranger steps to ensure success and safety, which would negatively impact his work.

Rational_Beliefs (1) - Management 1
Pragmatic (2) - Management 2
Utterly_Pragmatic (3) - Management 3, Influence -1

Rational Beliefs seems to be a measure of pragmatism. So, if it works, he does it. This makes him more efficient, but at Utterly Pragmatic he comes off as a jerk.

Devout (1): Influence 1
Religious (2): Influence 2
Honours_The_Gods (4): Influence 3
Venerates_The_Gods (8 ): Influence 4

Faith is just that; their worshipfulness. Note that it doesn't have any negatives, as this is simply their piety. There is a trait for thinking that you ARE divine, and that isn't any good. There's also traits for being Atheist and sacrilegious, which makes people very unhappy.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: September 30, 2010, 10:43:14 pm »

I really like how well the EB guys expanded that trait system.  I cannot bleeding wait till EB II comes out.  I have nightmares that it's never finished.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: September 30, 2010, 10:46:33 pm »

The Current Emperor of my Roman Empire is an Atheist, Pragmatic, with Rational concerns, an Epic Poet, a Great Orator, and a philosopher. Supremely popular with the people. The mind boggles at how history would have changed if this sort of guy actually became Emperor.
!!&!!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: September 30, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »

I think that you got the GOD-EMPEROR OF MAN
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: September 30, 2010, 10:51:31 pm »

Can you be an atheist if you're the god?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: September 30, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »

Well, he knows that he's not a god. Everybody else insists on calling him that, though.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »

If that guy's not considered a god then the word doesn't have much meaning.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: September 30, 2010, 10:58:25 pm »

Given the mechanics of Warhammer 40k, he actually is a God. I guess he could be an atheist as well. It wouldn't be an advantage though.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: September 30, 2010, 10:59:02 pm »

The Apotheosis thing was really something that came later on under the more insane Emperors. Also, see the book, the Pumpkinification of Claudius...

The Latin word or Pumpkinification is similiar to the Latin word, Apotheosis. So, that title would be an older than feudalism pun.
!!&!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: September 30, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »

Given the mechanics of Warhammer 40k, he actually is a God. I guess he could be an atheist as well. It wouldn't be an advantage though.
Given the mechanics of Warhammer 40K, there exists a fucking God of Atheism who is fueled by non-belief. Or did that get cut out?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: September 30, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »

I think that's from Warhammer Fantasy. The more people worship it, the weaker it gets.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: September 30, 2010, 11:03:29 pm »

The Apotheosis thing was really something that came later on under the more insane Emperors. Also, see the book, the Pumpkinification of Claudius...

The Latin word or Pumpkinification is similiar to the Latin word, Apotheosis. So, that title would be an older than feudalism pun.
My 10th grade English teacher made us read Apocolocyntosis to illustrate the proper use of puns.

Given the mechanics of Warhammer 40K, there exists a fucking God of Atheism who is fueled by non-belief. Or did that get cut out?
I wanna see that black crusade. (joking!)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: September 30, 2010, 11:04:31 pm »

The more people worship it, the weaker it gets.
I don't know why, but that sounds hilarious.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 370