Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176396 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »

I've been playing this again, and I am actually finding it a lot easier than I remember. So far I have nearly finished Sokoban and got some okay stuff, the best being some gauntlets of power and an artifact Katana. If I get more stuff together I can see this character ascending (Still need a source of reflection and magic resistance).
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »

I've been playing this again, and I am actually finding it a lot easier than I remember. So far I have nearly finished Sokoban and got some okay stuff, the best being some gauntlets of power and an artifact Katana. If I get more stuff together I can see this character ascending (Still need a source of reflection and magic resistance).
Its easy as long as you dont play each game one-after-another. Playing once per day(or in your case, after a long time) gives you more patience.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:25 pm »

His name was Leg-o-lamb. An Elven Ranger. I was making fun of Legolas.
Ah.  So that's why the world hadn't ended.  Thank goodness  ;D
When something has l-e-g-o in it, LEGO's the first thing I see.  It is a curse.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »

FUCK! Got killed by a Leocrotta again... That's how all of my Samurais die... One of these days I'm gonna genocide q.

Hey, ill let you guys decide. Should my next attempt be a Knight, a barbarian, a wizard, or another Samurai? I really don't know which one to attempt right now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:05:34 pm by Sniper Joe »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »

FUCK! Got killed by a Leocrotta again... That's how all of my Samurais die... One of these days I'm gonna genocide q.

Hey, ill let you guys decide. Should my next attempt be a Knight, a barbarian, a wizard, or another Samurai? I really don't know which one to attempt right now.
Samurais are awsome, go for them.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »

This joke is no longer funny.

I knew you were referring to Legolas... *pat*

I managed to price ID, then wear, a set of Gloves of Power.

If you have a flint stone, you don't need to price ID gauntlets of power... because it's the only metal pair of gloves. Or you can make sure it's not cursed, then wear it. The only bad gloves I can remember is fumbling, and you will notice that very soon.

I know that most magic ring will make you hungry quicker, but would the gloves have had the same effect?

Nope... only these cause you to lose nutrition:
1. Time
2. Casting spells without hungerless-spellcasting
3. Rings (some rings use a lot more nutrition than others, namely conflict and regeneration)
4. Amulet
5. Jumping (both the Knight version and the spell version)
6. Amulet of Yendor
7. Carrying too much: stressed and higher

Hungerless spellcasting is available only to wizards with Int. of 17 or more. From 14 to 16 they get less nutrition penalty.

I was having issues where I would jump from "Not Hungry" to "Weak" or "Fainting" really, really fast. No rings where being worn, the Gloves were my only magic item, apart from a +2 Plate Mail.

Maybe you're casting lots of spells? Or the food/corpse you ate are not very high in nutrition.

If those damn glove were the culprit, I'm gonna be pissed because I had a Ring of Slow Digestion that I had but hadn't gone to ID yet.

Sometimes it's worth throwing one down a sink to ID it...

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »

This joke is no longer funny.

I knew you were referring to Legolas... *pat*

I managed to price ID, then wear, a set of Gloves of Power.

If you have a flint stone, you don't need to price ID gauntlets of power... because it's the only metal pair of gloves. Or you can make sure it's not cursed, then wear it. The only bad gloves I can remember is fumbling, and you will notice that very soon.

I know that most magic ring will make you hungry quicker, but would the gloves have had the same effect?

Nope... only these cause you to lose nutrition:
1. Time
2. Casting spells without hungerless-spellcasting
3. Rings (some rings use a lot more nutrition than others, namely conflict and regeneration)
4. Amulet
5. Jumping (both the Knight version and the spell version)
6. Amulet of Yendor
7. Carrying too much: stressed and higher

Hungerless spellcasting is available only to wizards with Int. of 17 or more. From 14 to 16 they get less nutrition penalty.

I was having issues where I would jump from "Not Hungry" to "Weak" or "Fainting" really, really fast. No rings where being worn, the Gloves were my only magic item, apart from a +2 Plate Mail.

Maybe you're casting lots of spells? Or the food/corpse you ate are not very high in nutrition.

If those damn glove were the culprit, I'm gonna be pissed because I had a Ring of Slow Digestion that I had but hadn't gone to ID yet.

Sometimes it's worth throwing one down a sink to ID it...

I've been thinking about the weight thing.

First off, I was running an archaeologist, and wasn't casting any spells. I was, however, running around burdened when I first got the Plate Mail, but before the the Gloves. The Gloves brought me to 25 strength, and the burdened thing went away. Did the game still think I was running around burdened, perhaps?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »

Burdened will not cost you extra nutrition, only stressed and up will. What kind of food are you eating?

Are you sure you're not wearing a ring of hunger? That, and the attack of Famine, are the only things I can think of that makes you hungry super fast.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:57 pm »

No rings, nowhere near Famine.

Lots of uncursed food rations, and un-poisoned corpses.

And since I'm dead, all this peculation is kind of moot. Ah well. Just trying to learn.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2009, 09:41:57 am »

Aw, man.  I had found a wand of wishing on dungeon level 3.  I got some scrolls of charging and a fixed +0 gray dragon scale mail (I had asked for blessed fixed + 2).  I manage to get to mine town, but am then surrounded by a werewolf, which calls for help several times.  I die.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:44 am »

E-word would have saved you... or you can use another wish for something, like some means of teleportation.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2009, 02:37:19 pm »

Mmm... you should try wishing for one of the super high level monsters for pets like an Archon. It would make sure those things will never happen again. Let's see:
As mentioned above, Archons make outstanding pets. They are fast, use their blinding gaze (monsters don't get stunned by this attack), hit hard and wear armor. The easiest way to get a pet Archon is to apply a blessed figurine of an Archon. It is possible for a high level character to tame an Archon with a spell of charm monster but it may require a number of attempts.

Archons will wear gloves, helmets, boots and shields but they're too large to wear any armor that fits on the body. To get a pet Archon to wear armor, enchant the piece of armor and then drop it in front of the Archon. Archons will also pick up and use a variety of items, including unicorn horns, amulets of life saving and potions of gain level.

Archons will wield weapons left for them but getting them to drop their starting weapon can be difficult. Applying a bullwhip towards them can strip them of their current weapon, allowing you to hand them another weapon or simply giving you the opportunity to enchant their starting before handing it back.

I think that, the gray dragon mail, and I dunno what else would make you quite the powerhorse. Scrolls of charging seems kinda a waste to me.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2009, 03:11:09 pm »

Mmm... you should try wishing for one of the super high level monsters for pets like an Archon. It would make sure those things will never happen again. Let's see:
As mentioned above, Archons make outstanding pets. They are fast, use their blinding gaze (monsters don't get stunned by this attack), hit hard and wear armor. The easiest way to get a pet Archon is to apply a blessed figurine of an Archon. It is possible for a high level character to tame an Archon with a spell of charm monster but it may require a number of attempts.

Archons will wear gloves, helmets, boots and shields but they're too large to wear any armor that fits on the body. To get a pet Archon to wear armor, enchant the piece of armor and then drop it in front of the Archon. Archons will also pick up and use a variety of items, including unicorn horns, amulets of life saving and potions of gain level.

Archons will wield weapons left for them but getting them to drop their starting weapon can be difficult. Applying a bullwhip towards them can strip them of their current weapon, allowing you to hand them another weapon or simply giving you the opportunity to enchant their starting before handing it back.

I think that, the gray dragon mail, and I dunno what else would make you quite the powerhorse. Scrolls of charging seems kinda a waste to me.
Heh, I always wish for angels as I usualy forget how to spell archon.

But it still makes a epicly good pet.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2009, 03:47:33 pm »

E-word would have saved you... or you can use another wish for something, like some means of teleportation.

E-word only works if the were-creature is it's were-form. Otherwise they don't respect it.
It would probably have saved him from the summons though.

As for the scrolls of charging, umi, I think he got those for the wand or wishing I assume he had.
Or a marker, if he had one.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »

Yeah, I would have just gotten the marker instead of the scrolls. It seems far more logical. and scrolls of charging aren't exactly very rare. By the time you're level 20 (the real time you need that +7 blessed DSM, +8 gauntlets of strength, etc.), you'll be tripping over all the scrolls.

And if he got the scrolls of charging for the wand, why exactly did he only get the DSM and... more scrolls?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 128