Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176361 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2009, 06:11:09 pm »

I only got the scrolls of charging and the DSM.  There was only one charge on the wand when I got it, and had yet to encounter a scroll of charging, so I wouldn't be able to write one.  Though I now think that it may have been better just to have a magic marker.  I just didn't think of it at the time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2009, 09:46:22 am »

You can recharge random wand of wishing - but only once. IIRC the one from castle level is unrechargable.

When wishing you can ask for 2 or 3 for scrolls. Asking for 3 is a bit risky - you might end up with only just 1. Asking for 2 has a lot higher chance of success.

Wishing for 2 blessed scrolls of charging is a very common move - you don't really lose anything by doing so.

Also, magic marker uses a lot more charges for writing high level spells - it is quite possible that you have a marker, you use it to write a high level spell (like Genocide), and waste all the charges without writing the scroll.

Magic marker is actually not very difficult to get by hoarding all the unicorn horns you found and polypile them in small stacks. And then you recharge them with the scrolls you get from your first wish.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »

kcwong, suppose you stumble upon a magic lamp in real life. By your logic, would you wish for "a good lunch" because you were hungry right then? Knowing full well that getting a good lunch by yourself isn't exactly the most difficult task in the world?

My point I'm trying to make is that both magic markers and scrolls of charging are ridiculous wastes of a wish. It's a much better idea to just hold on to the wand of wishing until there comes a time when you really need that wish (like say, when you reach the entrance to the underworld and you forgot candles, which is what I used my last wish for actually) than to waste it on some minor want. In fact, if you really want to recharge that wand, then just hold it until you find your own scroll of charging (which I guarantee you will find).

It's not like the wand will disappear when you run out of charges for it or is there a timer which when it runs out, you can't charge it any more. Lastly, the game is turn based so you have plenty of time to think of what you really, really need.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:59 pm »

I like playing characters that can use magic, but a lot of the spell books I have are "coated in contact poison!" and it's really annoying.

Reading one spellbook made me permanently blind, I think, so many deathtraps when all I want to do is read.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:25 pm »

I like playing characters that can use magic, but a lot of the spell books I have are "coated in contact poison!" and it's really annoying.

Reading one spellbook made me permanently blind, I think, so many deathtraps when all I want to do is read.

Oh god.

If you're not a wizard, or have an Int of near 18, or are high level,
DON'T READ SPELLBOOKS!!!!

They are encircled with bands of epic-fail.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2009, 08:14:16 pm »

Oh god.

Ah, thanks, wiki doesn't mention this stuff, I don't think.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2009, 08:19:25 pm »

Oh god.

Ah, thanks, wiki doesn't mention this stuff, I don't think.
Each spell is a different level, and the higher the level, the higher the chance to fail.

I learned a lot watching these, if you have the time and are interested: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/nethack-sartak/

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »

There is no such thing as permanant blindness in nethack unless you are wearing I cursed blindfold or towel. Theres just really long term blindness.

If at an early level usualy the most logical cure is death, better to start a new character then eventualy get killed by a pack of something you cant see and save yourself some time.

If you have a carrot or unicorn horn with you on the otherhand use those instead, thats usualy a better idea...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:04 pm »

kcwong, suppose you stumble upon a magic lamp in real life. By your logic, would you wish for "a good lunch" because you were hungry right then? Knowing full well that getting a good lunch by yourself isn't exactly the most difficult task in the world?

My point I'm trying to make is that both magic markers and scrolls of charging are ridiculous wastes of a wish. It's a much better idea to just hold on to the wand of wishing until there comes a time when you really need that wish (like say, when you reach the entrance to the underworld and you forgot candles, which is what I used my last wish for actually) than to waste it on some minor want. In fact, if you really want to recharge that wand, then just hold it until you find your own scroll of charging (which I guarantee you will find).

It's not like the wand will disappear when you run out of charges for it or is there a timer which when it runs out, you can't charge it any more. Lastly, the game is turn based so you have plenty of time to think of what you really, really need.
Gee, candles seem like a waste of a wish as well, since there are almost always enough in the light shop. The reason to get the scrolls of charging with your first wish is if the wand has only one charge, you can then get I think 3 more wishes at least, which means you can get decent armor, a decent pet, and the save the last wrested wish for something important. If you happen to find the wand at a low DL, then high end armor can seriously improve your chances of making to the one of the other wands that are almost always there.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »

Magic lamps aren't rechargable, so I will use that wish to get what I know I must have. Like magic resistance, levitation/water walking or reflection (if Sokoban gives me a BoH).It's a different matter with wands.

The point of scrolls of charging is that you don't know how many charges a random wand has. It may be 1, or it may be more. By wishing for 2 blessed scrolls of charging, you don't lose anything if the wand only has 1 charge. If it has more charges, you have the charging scrolls right there to get even more wishes.

Remember, RNG can be a really nasty bitch. You may need to wait a very long time before finding a scroll of charging, and you may want your wishes earlier than that. I couldn't count how many times I hit Medusa level without water walking/levitation and castle without magic resist or reflection.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »

I keep getting swarmed by killer bees and dieing.  Any tips on how to handle those goons?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »

You can still read them, if you:
1. Bless the spellbooks
2. Preferably, use identify scrolls to ID it first. Don't read the high level ones.
3. Lock yourself in a closet (blocked 1-tile corridor with a door) before reading.
4. Have strong pets with you.
5. Read them on an earlier dungeon levels.

I don't remember if having teleport control will help if the spellbook teleports you.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:12 pm »

I keep getting swarmed by killer bees and dieing.  Any tips on how to handle those goons?
keep your distance, stay near the stairs, have poison resistance or a unicorn horn. If all else fails DONT PANIC AND RUN, there is little chance you will get away. Just keep attacking, preferably long range(but if they are already upon you dont waste your turns moving unless mabey 1 or 2 steps, they could be your last) running should be an absolute last resort.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:21:51 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:42 am »

Gee, candles seem like a waste of a wish as well, since there are almost always enough in the light shop.
Obviously you've never reached that point in the game, or you'd definitely think otherwise. I'm pretty sure one of the most common wishes is for candles at that stage of the game because a heck of a lot of people forget them and the crazy long journey to go all the way back just to get candles makes it far easier to wish for it.

It's the same if you suddenly need a pickaxe waaaaaay, waaay down in the underworld or when you're rushing back with the amulet. You can't really afford to go all the way back.

And RNG being a bitch is much easier negated if you have, say... an extra wish lying around. I say being able to practically counter any situation as needed is much more useful than two scrolls of charging, no? Getting swarmed by dogs? Genocide dogs. Pet died? Wish for blessed statue of avatar. Need food urgently? Wiiiiiishhhhh! Even if you end up with an uncharged wand, at least you're alive.

kcwong: I really disagree with you if you think you lose nothing by wishing for the scrolls of charging. Hmm... let me put this in practical terms. Suppose you have $1. You have the option of buying an item and selling it for $2 or you could wait to find that item and sell it for the same price. The catch is that while you KNOW that you will find that item, you just don't know when.

So, here's the end result:
1. You either end up with $1 -$1 + $2 = $2.
2. Or you end up with $1 + $2 = $3. But the problem with this one is that you don't know when you'll get the $2, just that you know you will.

I'm advocating that you go for option 2, because it's better for you in the long run since you essentially get one extra wish.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2009, 12:58:50 am »

kcwong: I really disagree with you if you think you lose nothing by wishing for the scrolls of charging. Hmm... let me put this in practical terms. Suppose you have $1. You have the option of buying an item and selling it for $2 or you could wait to find that item and sell it for the same price. The catch is that while you KNOW that you will find that item, you just don't know when.

So, here's the end result:
1. You either end up with $1 -$1 + $2 = $2.
2. Or you end up with $1 + $2 = $3. But the problem with this one is that you don't know when you'll get the $2, just that you know you will.

I'm advocating that you go for option 2, because it's better for you in the long run since you essentially get one extra wish.

Your choice is all good if you know for sure you will survive that long. For most, when you get an early wish, the best option is to get what you want in your ascension kit right there and immediately. Some items are a must, and/or helps a ton if you have them early on.

I see it this way: Timing is very important.

You have an early wand of wish with unknown no. of charges.

1. You wish for 2 blessed scrolls of charging first.
    1a. If the wand has 1 charge: Your net gain is 1 blessed scroll of charging + 1 wish of your choice immeidately.
    1b. If the wand has N charges: Your net gain is 1 blessed scroll of charging, N-1 wish plus the whatever amount of charges you can get from the recharge, immeidately.
2. You wish for whatever you want.
    2a. If the wand has 1 charge: Your net gain is 1 wish of your choice, plus a wand to recharge at unknown time later. If you don't have a bag, wand might go boom if shocked, or you will have to stash it and return later.
    2b. If the wand has N charges: Your net gain is N wish. Wand must be protected same as 2a.

For most with imperfect skills and in the mercy of the RNGod, option 1 would make their character lasts much longer, with some popular choices such as drgaon scale mail, amulet of reflection, ring of conflict, artifact weapon, etc. Also most dangers in NetHack are best defended against by having the proper defense beforehand - better get Magic Resistance before stepping onto a polymorph trap.

If I get an early wand of wish, I'm going to use it all right there filling out my AK. More wand of wish later I will keep a few charges for emergencies.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 128