Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175473 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1410 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »

If only ChaoticJosh were here.  I've never gotten far enough in Nethack to help you.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 07, 2011, 07:28:51 pm »

Where's the fun in that ;)
Anyone got any tips for a zen game? I keep getting killed shortly after encountering Rodney.
You know that wands of probing let you view what's written on scrolls?

Just zap yourself.(or so I read)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 07, 2011, 07:38:29 pm »

A bit of a necro, but I don't want to clutter up the happy/sad threads anymore.

I blew it...

...Are there any ways I've overlooked to get a charge into my bell?  Should I cut my losses and start over?...
I'm pretty sure the Scroll of Charging or the Platinum Yendorian Express Card are the only two ways to recharge anything...

Have you tried quaffing or dipping early level(before level 20) fountains(I'd recommend only dipping a useless item, as quaffing has many more bad effects)? There's a small chance that you'll get a friendly water demon that'll give you a wish.

Where's the fun in that ;)
Anyone got any tips for a zen game? I keep getting killed shortly after encountering Rodney.
You know that wands of probing let you view what's written on scrolls?

Just zap yourself.(or so I read)
The wiki doesn't say anything about that, so I doubt that's true.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »

Also, you can quaff smoky potions IIRC with a 5% chance to get a Djinni who also gets you a wish. Obviously if its something rare like Gain Level, it wont help, but if its something basic like fruit juice or something you can get a ton of them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:53 pm »

I haven't seen a single smoky potion, I'm betting they're polymorph which I'm obviously not going to be drinking.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

I would double check in case its something you had pre identified due to monster use or something. Of course, I never figured out how to check what an item looks like once identified.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 07, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

Started playing again recently..I can regularly get to Sokoban and beat it. Usually die shortly after though.

I've died a couple times due to cursed blindfolds...ick. Horrible way to die. I'll never do that again.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 07, 2011, 08:10:42 pm »

Don't put blindfolds on if you haven't BUC-identified them, you goosy sill.
Shoes...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:52 am »

Don't put blindfolds on if you haven't BUC-identified them, you goosy sill.

That's why I like to keep pets early on, when I don't have an altar (or don't want to run back to it). Pets are superstitious; they don't like to step on cursed items, unless there are also food in the same square.

Drop the item on an empty square, and stand next to it. Wait several turns for your pet to move around. If you wait many turns and your pet never steps on the item, it's very likely to be cursed. If your pet does step on the item and there's no "pet moves reluctantly" message, the item is not cursed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:32 am »

Yeah, that's pretty much the only reason I keep my pet past the first floor when I'm playing a combat class.

Also, this round Izchak's lighting shop had two magic lamps, one of them pre-blessed.  Props to my main man, wherever you are.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

Also, this round Izchak's lighting shop had two magic lamps, one of them pre-blessed.  Props to my main man, wherever you are.
Hot damn, nice. Heh, that reminds me of this one time I had a wand of wishing generated on the first floor or so a long time ago.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 08, 2011, 04:07:26 pm »

Yeah, things are looking up.  A few hundred turns after I used the second lamp (Wishing for Grayswandir), I sat on a throne and got a third wish, all before level 10.
Shoes...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 08, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »

My favorite NetHack trick is wishing for a Cursed Scroll of Genocide(summons a bunch of whatever you try to genocide).

Then you have two fun options:

1)  Genocide Wraiths, kill them(hopefully without being drained of a level) and then eat their corpses for free level ups.
2)  Take off all your clothes, genocide Nurses, and let them buff your health like crazy.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 08, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »

2 should be done on a no-tele level.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:20 pm »

1 should not be done on graveyard levels (you will get various messages about it being scary, like your hair standing up), since on those levels wraiths leave no corpses. You need to lure them next to the stairs and let them follow you.

Also, it's not worth it unless you want to get to level 14 quickly to do your quest. Being high level just generates more high level monsters in your path. Feed the wraith corpses to a great pet instead (like a large dog polymorphed into a gray dragon).
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 128