Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175422 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1425 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:50 pm »

1 should not be done on graveyard levels (you will get various messages about it being scary, like your hair standing up), since on those levels wraiths leave no corpses.
Incorrect. They do leave corpses on those levels, just not as often.

On levels containing graveyards, undead creatures are less likely to leave corpses. This includes wraiths, whose corpses are highly desirable.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:05 am »

My favorite NetHack trick is wishing for a Cursed Scroll of Genocide(summons a bunch of whatever you try to genocide).

Then you have two fun options:

1)  Genocide Wraiths, kill them(hopefully without being drained of a level) and then eat their corpses for free level ups.
2)  Take off all your clothes, genocide Nurses, and let them buff your health like crazy.

That seems like a waste of a wish to me.  If you're at the point where there aren't more pressing items on your wishlist (DSM, artifacts, other ascension kit items) leveling up is basically just trading a few more HP for stronger monsters.  Reverse genociding nurses on a no-teleport is pretty cool though, but I still don't think it's worth a wish.  A better bet is to wish for a blessed magic marker and write yourself a cursed scroll.  Papers golems show up often enough that you should have a good collection of cursed blanks to write, and as long as you remember to write a blessed scroll of charging along with it that magic marker is going to be way more useful than either of those genocides.
Shoes...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:27 am »

I love what this game can do sometimes.

I screwed up reading a spellbook once and got stunned for a very, very long time. Cue a wood nymph. It promptly stole everything I owned and repeatedly zapped me with a wand. My HP held out enough for the wand to wear out, so she proceeded to go through my potions and scrolls.
She found a scroll of earth. A boulder promptly crushed her into a pancake. I managed to survive the boulder that landed on me, only barely. Finally could move again after all that.
Unfortunately, while trying to recover my stuff, I broke her looking glass, earning myself bad luck.

Next thing I knew, bees. A massive, massive swarm of bees. I did not survive. The game does not mess around when you have bad luck.

Then in the very next game, I find that as a bones level. I should note this game has been awesome too.
Ice box next to aligned altar in Minetown. Promptly got myself Magicbane and two other artifact swords I will probably not use. I'm now roaming the depths with a dog, a seriously powerful pit fiend like 10 levels above me that used to be a dog, and a queen bee that also used to be a dog. Somehow the pit fiend happened when he ate a chameleon corpse, and I have honestly no clue how the latter dog turned into a bee. Coincidentally, I was fighting a queen bee of a hive when he came in like that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:45 pm »

I just started a new character after a two-month hiatus. I'm absolutely swimming in scrolls of identify.

EDIT: Forgot I didn't have gloves. Petrified by a cockatrice corpse. Had two magic lamps too, although one was cursed and the other was uncursed. Minetown gave me a lot of stuff - the two lamps, a towel, a magic whistle, and it allowed me to ID scrolls of enchant armor (offered 40, so I wielded a cursed scroll of identify and read the unknown) and identify.

EDIT2:

I am now worthy of the name Urist.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:05:02 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:54 am »

Ahaha, I just thought up the best ascension challenge.

Drag a statue of your former self up to the altar.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 06, 2011, 06:47:00 am »

Where's the fun in that ;)
Anyone got any tips for a zen game? I keep getting killed shortly after encountering Rodney.
You know that wands of probing let you view what's written on scrolls?

Just zap yourself.(or so I read)
The wiki doesn't say anything about that, so I doubt that's true.

The wiki isn't ominscient. There were even one or two changes during 3.4.0-3.4.1
Good luck finding them.
And I only got it because I've scoured all over for spoilers.
(no ascensions, hell, I haven't even cracked the vibrating square.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 13, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »

Lesson learned, don't chat up a minetown priest if your last adventurer pissed him off.

He can, and will, bust yo ass.

Also, my previous ghost by a different name, was asleep? Dunno how that works.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 13, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »

Lesson learned, don't chat up a minetown priest if your last adventurer pissed him off.

He can, and will, bust yo ass.

Only if the last char had the same name.  Otherwise he'll just be in a bad mood.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 13, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »

Beside liches, what race should I genocide?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »

Footrices.
Always.
*Hugs*

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 13, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

I disagree... footrices are easy to deal with. Plus you lose such a potent weapon.

; - Eels if you don't have oilskin cloak.
R - Disenchanter is really annoying.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:11 pm »

Yeah, but there's always that moment where you're blind and your gloves have been disintigrated.
One will always be there.
*Hugs*

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 13, 2011, 10:33:57 pm »

Hey, if your gloves can be disintegrated (i.e. no magic resistance) you have much bigger problems than footrices... ;)

n - Genocide nymphs if you have genocide scrolls to spare?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 13, 2011, 10:35:43 pm »

Excellent point.
But when doing a Zen game, you take what you can get   ;D
*Hugs*

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 13, 2011, 10:36:22 pm »

Oh, btw, I'm playing Slash'em. I'm surprised nobody has said to genocide Master Mind Flayers yet.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 128