Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175554 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1200 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:43 am »

Well, this game's off to a fine start.  I rolled my character, took one step, and my dog was killed by a falling rock.
Ouch.

Still, I don't ever find pets to be all that valuable. And besides, your dog took a bullet for you. You could have gotten killed if you stepped on the trap without a helmet.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 06, 2010, 08:10:01 am »

I #named the rock that killed him "Dogrock," and I will carry it with me always.

I wasted about a thousand turns searching for the down stair on dlvl 3, which was covered by a kobold statue.  I finally figured it out, threw the statue a tile over in rage, and proceeded down the stairs, where there are 2 Hill Orcs currently standing right next to me.

I think I might go back up to Dlvl 3 and kick a sink.  I'm a level 4 Ranger with 6 AC and I believe these orcs will hurt me.

Edit:  I went upstairs and found a pony, so I threw it some lichen and took my new pet downstairs to curbstomp the orcs.  I prefer my new pet.

Edit Later:  &%#@*$ Gray Unicorn.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:26:12 am by SethCreiyd »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 06, 2010, 08:27:47 am »

Today my orc rogue and his pet dog killed an Uruk-hai that somehow shown up pretty early... and received a +5 shield! Then I found a pair of +1 combat boots, which is likely water walking boots.

Then I fast traveled (Windows Mobile version, touch-screen) to the other side of the map to get to the downstairs... and a nymph robbed me blind. When the fast travel ended, I only had my mummy wrapping and combat boots left. My sack (full of potions and scrolls), my entire stack of 12 orcish daggers, and my +1 leather were gone.

Before I could smash her face a panther showed up and killed me.

Lesson of the day: Fast travel seems to ignore nymphs...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:42 pm »

I've never ascended, but last night I lost my most promising character yet, an Orc Ranger.  He had just finished the Mines, had plenty of food, and was generally rockin'.  With cursed arrows that misfire he was taking down squads of soldier ants for sport.

I really felt tough for the first time in this game.  Then I came across a "more primitive world" and ran into an Air Elemental.  Turns out I did want my possessions identified.
Well, Air-E is one of the big killers. Big nonelemental damage, engulf that can't be dug out of.
The mines are kind of a trap. It all depends on your equipment. I recommend you don't go past Minetown if you want to live. Otherwise it's not that bad, since you mainly fight weak gnomes.

Sokoban is "meh" for me, I don't really care when I take it on.

Anyway, just wondering guys, what's your favorite class?
Wizard is most interesting. I should get back to my in-Gehennom-priest though.

I habitually go to mines [to Town- the tools, temple, and the plethora of shops help a lot] then Soko and finish the Mines sometime later.
Also, I should take time to re-espouse my belief that the tinning kit is the best item in the game, especially blessed ones.

Tinning a dead Rodney is also fun, even if it doesn't accomplish anything.
I'd agree if it weren't so heavy, like the also-useful pickaxe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The mines often have magic lamps in them so I always go there.

Not to be insulting Dwarf, but that's some flimsy logic.
Infinite-time light radius is far more valuable than the wish at that point.

Arguably the biggest trap is minetown bones, at least on public servers.
I #named the rock that killed him "Dogrock," and I will carry it with me always.
Stone-to-flesh!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

That... would be a meatball.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 12, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »

And, funnily, would work as pet food.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:12 am »

Carnivorous pets eat dead pets... you must act fast if you want to zap a wand of turn undead.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 13, 2010, 04:27:22 am »

I just have a question,is it possible to tame a dragon with a magic harp?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 13, 2010, 04:29:55 am »

Yes. It tames basically everything around you. Except things that are restricted from being pets, which are (Note that this may be a minor spoiler):
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:31:35 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 13, 2010, 04:34:56 am »

Everybody who has trouble in the early game (warning pretty big spoilers)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 13, 2010, 04:42:38 am »

Slash'em Vampire is the tileset and alternate interface version of Slash'em, there's no difference between it and normal Slash'em besides the alternate interface and tileset. Just thought you should know, since referring to it as "Slash'em Vampire" is unneeded.

Anyway, while a minion early on may be good in a way, getting it temporarily puts you at a huge risk: You won't be able to pray for help when you really need it until your prayer timeout runs out.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 14, 2010, 06:28:29 am »

I should get back to my in-Gehennom-priest though.
Killer: ascended, though it's pretty arguable she shouldn't've.
Tilesets

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »

I am trying to get a char that survives beyond level 3,anybody have some hints?

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 17, 2010, 12:47:50 am »

I am trying to get a char that survives beyond level 3,anybody have some hints?

Don't die.  ;)

Really though, don't overextend yourself and be careful. The game hates everybody that plays it and will actively try and screw you.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 17, 2010, 12:50:56 am »

Screw you with a Gnome Of Death.

Anyway has anybody ever had a water demon grant them a wish?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 128