Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175581 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1140 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:20 am »

Early poison resistance can really cut down the paranoia.  A bit.

An iota to be more exact. There's roughly alot of things to be paranoid of at any given moment. Starting the game, you automatically have a list of problems you have to solve, and not solving every single one means certain death from the things lurking in the shadows. These problems include things like "Obtain Poison Resistance" or "Obtaining reflection" or "Not starving to death". How you cope with these problems is what ultimately is the largest variable when determining the likelihood of your success.

HEH! If they ever make a Nethack 2 it should be about your quest to get the items and skills required to survive the dungeon Nethack takes place in.

The twist is that the game weakens you ever single level until your around the same strength you start Nethack in.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 29, 2010, 12:12:14 am »

I die within the first 30 secs. :(

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:13 am »

I die within the first 30 secs. :(
Fun, isn't it?

Take it slower, you shouldn't die that quickly.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 29, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »

I finally managed to get a samurai from mine town, to the top of sokoban, and back.  For that time I didn't save scum, but I backed up the save just in case he died and I got impatient with getting another guy that far.  I'd rather beat the game without scumming, but frankly, playing floors 1-7 over and over again just to die can get a little boring, you know?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:15 pm »

I finally managed to get a samurai from mine town, to the top of sokoban, and back.  For that time I didn't save scum, but I backed up the save just in case he died and I got impatient with getting another guy that far.  I'd rather beat the game without scumming, but frankly, playing floors 1-7 over and over again just to die can get a little boring, you know?

I played from floor one to the bottom of the Dungeons of Doom and then die on my way up three times, and it isn't boring at all. :P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:36 pm »

Oh, three times is fine.  It's just once I get into the triple digits that I need to take a long hiatus from nethack.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »

If you ask me, I'd say the Gnomish mines is a trap. It's filled with traps (which means chance for deadly poisonous spike traps), and polymorph traps start appearing around M7 IIRC to ruin your day by either changing you to a newt or giving you something nasty to fight.

I always go for Sokoban first and Mines later. Just be sure to move quickly on Oracle level, which often has more nasty monsters (like groups of ants, bees or rothes) than its level suggests.

I'll go in Mines first if I'm really desperate for armor, but then I'd only stick around the staircase, letting my pet do the killing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »

The mines are kind of a trap. It all depends on your equipment. I recommend you don't go past Minetown if you want to live. Otherwise it's not that bad, since you mainly fight weak gnomes.

Sokoban is "meh" for me, I don't really care when I take it on.

Anyway, just wondering guys, what's your favorite class?

Mine is the knight, he has great starting equipment (excluding the pony and lance, both of which I never use because I'm lazy) and fits my hack-n-slash style. I dislike the samurai due to the japanese names for things, which I hate.

Anyway, back to nethacking, hope for the best!
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »

Anyway, just wondering guys, what's your favorite class?

Mine is the knight, he has great starting equipment (excluding the pony and lance, both of which I never use because I'm lazy) and fits my hack-n-slash style. I dislike the samurai due to the japanese names for things, which I hate.

My favorite is wizard... dagger storm, spells, great first sacrifice gift and great quest artifact. It's also my first class to attempt an ascension run.

Currently I'm playing a valkyrie (on PC) and a monk (on mobile). The monk's not looking good - can't find any enchant armor scrolls and no general/scroll shops. Mine town is somehow busted and has no shops (walls are all broken).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:21 pm »

FREAKING FOUNTAINS. Not giving me Excalilber and instead rusting my longsword *Grumble grumble*.

Oh, and killer bees suck. Oh look, they just killed me with poison insta-kill.

TIME TO TRY AGAIN I GUESS.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 29, 2010, 11:08:06 pm »

My favorite class were tourists. Very weak, but very useful once you get them rolling.

Don't worry Tarran, you can dip a rusted longsword and get the Excalibur all the same.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 29, 2010, 11:17:20 pm »

Don't worry Tarran, you can dip a rusted longsword and get the Excalibur all the same.
Yeah, I know that, but it's like the fountains are TRYING to only rust my longsword, which they did, it ended up very rusted.

And my adventurer died anyway, so it no longer matters.

And another (also a knight) died of a combination of a magic trap summoning combined with a bear trap.

Anyway, going at it again!

Oh hell yes! An uncursed (?) touchstone on DL 1!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:20:43 pm by Tarran »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 29, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »

If it helps at all, I don't recommend dipping your sword for Excalibur. When you get it, it counts against you for artifacts found when wishing for more artifacts.

It's a major boost to offense in the early game though, but it really hurts when you can't wish for things you want later in the game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 29, 2010, 11:23:05 pm »

If it helps at all, I don't recommend dipping your sword for Excalibur. When you get it, it counts against you for artifacts found when wishing for more artifacts.

It's a major boost to offense in the early game though, but it really hurts when you can't wish for things you want later in the game.
Early game survival>Late game survival for me. So what, I have a lesser chance when wishing for another artifact? Who cares?! At least I'll live to that point!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »

I'm just saying, Nethack's all about having backup plans. When you start the game and just start dipping willy-nilly, you're throwing your survival to the whims of the RNG. Plus, you're rusting up your sword when the standard longsword is already a very decent weapon. If you want Excalibur, I'd wait until you have a decent backup weapon to replace it in case the whole process goes awry.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 128