Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175568 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1170 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two beneficial outcomes is surprising.  That's because
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 30, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »

For the love of god though, always check chests for traps before trying to open them!

Actually, check multiple times! The chance is 10/(30 - char level) = 1/3 when you're level 1, and 100% at level 21.

The chance to untrap is based on your dexterity, doubled for rogues. If you have high luck the trap may not harm you even if it blows in your face.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 31, 2010, 12:00:07 am »

Spoiler: I am a fool. (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 31, 2010, 12:43:08 am »

Hah. Seems there's too many ways to die just from eating isn't there? :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 31, 2010, 01:09:37 am »

Hah. Seems there's too many ways to die just from eating isn't there? :P

I should point you to where I died from choking on a titan corpse, just FEET away from the Sacred High Altar.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 31, 2010, 02:40:16 am »

Here's a tip that I learned the hard way: Don't eat corpses while blind. How was I supposed to know that the goblin I just killed was actually a zombie?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 31, 2010, 03:19:34 am »

Also, I should take time to re-espouse my belief that the tinning kit is the best item in the game, especially blessed ones.

Have a giant corpse, where you want the strength but you're too full? Tinning Kit! Have a troll that keeps coming back to life, and you can't eat it fast enough? Tinning Kit! Do you want to eat a corpse you're positive is already rotten? Tinning Kit makes it all better! Are you a monk, and you need to conserve as many of those vegan monsters as you can? Tinning Kit is your friend!

Look at all the things you can do with a Tinning Kit:

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Tinning_kit

Tinning a dead Rodney is also fun, even if it doesn't accomplish anything.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 31, 2010, 03:58:27 am »

The tinning kit sounds nice, though I never live long enough to get to monsters that deserve to be tinned. :P

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 31, 2010, 04:54:58 am »

Love the game, ascended a couple of times. Has recently been displaced as my favourite game ever by Dwarf Fortress.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 31, 2010, 05:48:36 am »

Aaarrghh. I blame it on the stupid black unicorn who I just couldn't ignore. ::)

The game was going amazingly until the stupid unicorn came and I couldn't pass up a chance to get a horn. The unicorn weakened me, and a gold golem came out of nowhere and killed me quickly.

I had found the bones of one of my wizards, and got a LOT of BLESSED identify scrolls. Later on in minetown, I got myself the spell of identify. Then I found a BoH.

Had a close call early on, I had tripped a level teleport and landed on level 10 of the mines, things got hairy and I had to read a cursed scroll of teleport, which teleported me to one of the first levels of the mines.

Then sometime later a stupid gnome came and ruined my starting cloths with a damned wand of fire, in which he also destroyed all of my holy water.

I never reached sokoban.

And, looking at the bones files, it seems like his bones are left on that level. With luck a later adventurer will be able to find his bones.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:50:14 am by Tarran »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 31, 2010, 07:26:10 am »

Unicorns:
A rather common sight in Sokoban, where the monsters are weaker. I always go Sokoban first, and I usually get my horn there.

Wand of fire breaking holy water:
Always keep wands (that are not cancellation for BoH), rings, scrolls and potions in a bag. Keep just 1 bottle outside if you fear BoH will be cursed, setup a stash and save some there and get a normal sack for a few holy water.

I never reached sokoban.
That's because you do the mines first! It's a devious trap by the DevTeam - the entrance appearing sooner doesn't mean you have to go there first!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:13 am »

The mines often have magic lamps in them so I always go there.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 31, 2010, 07:43:04 am »

The mines often have magic lamps in them so I always go there.

Not to be insulting Dwarf, but that's some flimsy logic. There's also plenty of traps, and lots of mean gnomes and dwarves, some aggressive monster spawns. A magic lamp gives you exactly 1 item of your choice, and there's a decent chance it won't even BE there! It's best to peruse the dungeon first, preparing to tackle the more difficult parts before diving headlong into danger assuming that you'll get the things you need along the way.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 31, 2010, 07:46:36 am »

Well that explains out of the thousands (I have played the game over 100 times but not thousands) I have played I have often found one there.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 31, 2010, 07:53:10 am »

May I ask what you usually wish for?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 128