Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130053 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #810 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:27 am »

I'm pretty sure the former isn't in the game at all, and the latter gives the same type of silk as "small" cave spiders. Of course, I'm talking about vanilla here.
Same value, but not same type.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #811 on: January 04, 2010, 03:40:54 am »

I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 04, 2010, 03:50:29 am »

I'm pretty sure the former isn't in the game at all
Cave spider
Giant cave spider

By "former" I meant giant wolf spiders, which I don't remember ever encountering or even reading about.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 04, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »

Giant Wolf Spiders are modded in, the only giant spider in Vanilla is the Giant Cave Spider.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »

That's odd, I didn't know there were any modded animals in Mike Mayday tileset.

Edit:
I found out where there from.   The orc mod had some animals that weren't in Vanilla.  Thought it just included orcs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:07:56 pm by Cody1750 »
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 04, 2010, 05:08:16 pm »

That's odd, I didn't know there were any modded animals in Mike Mayday tileset.

I play Mayday's DF as well, and I've never heard of those giant wolf spiders you mention.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #816 on: January 04, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »

Today's facepalm:

When you have a single lever set to both raise a drawbridge and open some doors, the doors will open before the drawbridge raises.  This can cause massive flooding if you're using the lever to fill and drain water into a room attached to the bottom of your cistern.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 05, 2010, 03:02:41 am »

I'm just going to leave this here...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Yey, finally a terrifying biome with a magma pit, a river and no aquifer! Man, am I a lucky guy, or what, eh? I'll just pause right after the embark and look around a bit, but I think I won't bother looking at the starting location, I just need to find a nice spot to dig the entrance to my future... "

*Everyone you've ever known in this world has died, hurrrrrrr!*

Turns out skeletal carp are quite an inquisitive and friendly species, running out to greet their new neighbours at the first sign of arrival.

edit : grammer iz gud

Re-edit : VVV "Those are no fish bones... those are battlestations!"

Sorry... had to say it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:41:26 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 05, 2010, 04:12:27 am »

"Catten, why are those fish bones moving?"
"I think we should leave."
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

I've got one.

I was carving out a small 'forward base' of sorts down near an underground river, so that when I opened it up my soldiers patrolling the area wouldn't have to walk hundreds of tiles every time they got hungry or thirsty (or switched shifts). I was carving out a passage for a well, and just after I dug out the tile to let the water INTO the passage, I noticed that the miner in question had been trapped by the water and was running down to the end of the passage (as opposed to walking up the stairs I had put there for just that purpose).

I think, annoying, but no big problem, I'll just have him dig his way out, then seal it up. And... well.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »

drinking while performing dorfy engineering.

The leafy landscapes were a tad.. warmer.. after that

I still have never managed to get a fully functional magma gate.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »

I've got one.

I was carving out a small 'forward base' of sorts down near an underground river, so that when I opened it up my soldiers patrolling the area wouldn't have to walk hundreds of tiles every time they got hungry or thirsty (or switched shifts). I was carving out a passage for a well, and just after I dug out the tile to let the water INTO the passage, I noticed that the miner in question had been trapped by the water and was running down to the end of the passage (as opposed to walking up the stairs I had put there for just that purpose).

I think, annoying, but no big problem, I'll just have him dig his way out, then seal it up. And... well.

Is said dwarf easily discouraged? If so, it makes sense. "Bah, screw trying to dig stairs while under many gallons of rushing water. I'll just succumb to mah fate."
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:56 am »

their political-text content differs. ANYWAY.

Digging into frozen magmacap losing dwarf to the pipe going "Hey, free space! *bubble*"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

synthmon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:43 am »

Maybe not so much a moment such as an entire facepalming session, but w/e.

Thinking, "Oh, there's barrels and barrels of food left, screw digging out somewhere to farm", I sat around and fiddled with beds and cisterns and what have you until all the beer ran out.
Since the map was absolutely devoid of water, I rushed off the nearest idle dwarf to build a still and told some other blokes to get plants for it. Not quite quickly enough however; two of the dwarves succumbed to thirst long before the farms bore fruit. I managed to get quite desperate and set the brewing to constant repeat, making my previously idle dwarf the busiest one in the fort. Unfortunately, it also turned out he was the expedition leader - so when my star miner got pissed about friendly deaths, he kept following the busiest dwarf in the fort around without the least chance to have a meeting.
So much so that Mr Miner got into a hissing fit and knocked the brewer into the wall, crushing his left arm. As the expedition leader lay in his bed with Mr Miner constantly by his side, I was left with three dwarves to keep up with farming, brewing, and caring for the wounded. Which was difficult, given that there was no water.

Here's to forethought!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:23 am »

I just found out that you can build wells above water, as in, with space inbetween.
I thought it had to float on top of it.. I've been spending all this time making massive pumping systems to bring water to differant layers..
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 729