Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130032 times)

Septus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #510 on: October 21, 2009, 12:51:24 pm »

Reading this puppy and finding out about the d-b menu. Huge one.

Most recent: while building a huge-ass goblet to fill with magma from an equally giant pitcher, in an eternal-flow loop, I got very tired of deconstructing the scaffolding piece by piece. I thought, 'nuts to this' and simply disconnected a large, eight-story-tall chunk from the cup structure, not being fully aware of the nature of gravity in DF.

Like how big things, when falling, will punch through floors, and not simply land on the wafer-thin chalk tiles, like in some less-awesome and less-fun simulations.

Many, many levels.

Right through my main food stockpile in the middle of drinking-time...

Then right through the throne room which doubled as a meeting place...

Then below that into the factory complex center...

Then below that, smashing into the lava tubes feeding the lava workshops...

Spilling the lava out...

...killing thirty dwarves in one go!   :P

On the plus side: the goblet looks fantastic.
Also, I have a new idea for an eight-story tall goblin-compressor.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 21, 2009, 01:13:41 pm »

Right through my main food stockpile in the middle of drinking-time, then right through the throne room which doubled as a meeting place, then below that into the factory complex center, then below that, smashing into the lava tubes feeding the lava workshops, spilling the lava out, killing thirty dwarves in one go!   :P

On the plus side: the goblet looks fantastic.

Sigged.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:15:59 pm by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:52 pm »

...spending 4ish real months working on a fort that had magma only to suddenly realize once a titan attacked that I had no water to give my best champion, who had become injured.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:08 am »

I found out about it a few months back, and it was more of a "oh cool" than not, but Workshop Profile (q-P) allows you to choose which dwarves can use which whatever, as well as limiting by skill.

This pleases me immensely.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 22, 2009, 06:38:35 am »

Magma and sand in that to?

Magma yes, sand no. Which is fine, nothing you can make out of glass that isn't better out of electrum, steel, gold, or platinum. And believe me, there's more iron here than you can possibly use, I've just finished smelting one of the six magnetite veins I've uncovered, and there are still two more limestone levels I haven't dug out.

It also has a fair amount of mithril (dig deeper) though I'm saving it for my noble moods (not a huge deal, they demand I make mithril, I smelt a bar then process it into deep steel) and some tetrahedrite you can use to make electrum or billon.

Windows and essentially free green glass crafts (if you have magma)

Gem windows. That was the other thing, my stockpiles are flooded with natural gems. Guess you can't export those windows though. And like I said, there's nothing you can make out of glass (except windows, you got me there) that isn't better out of metal, and this fort has metal to waste.

Not to mention training an army of legendary gem cutters and gem setters so that when you do get a rare diamond, you can be assured it's gonna be an exceptional decoration.

Got a mood, fortunately. Training up a legendary gem setter isn't hard though, you can import a lot of low quality gems from the dwarves and humans without much trouble. Gem cutting isn't all that great, if you wanted to use that yellow diamond as a decoration you want a low skill gem cutter to cut it, since cut gems have no quality and high skill cutters tend to make gem crafts instead of cut gems.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 22, 2009, 07:08:35 am »

I once thought it was impossible to mine through "wet rock" or "warm rock". I was wrong.

Also, mining through wet rock, when I could've just channeled that last tile from above.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:28 am »

Not to mention training an army of legendary gem cutters and gem setters so that when you do get a rare diamond, you can be assured it's gonna be an exceptional decoration.

Got a mood, fortunately. Training up a legendary gem setter isn't hard though

In my current fortress, three of my eight artifact moods (and three of my first four moods) were immigrant gem setters... sure, one legendary gem setter is useful for increasing wealth, but three?  another face palm related to moods, I had one of my metal workers taken by one, one of the immigrants that comes with novice in three skills and all activated, and I save scummed four or five times trying to get her to make something useful, like a sword or armor... but she kept making miniforges... then I noticed one of her likes is miniforges... yeah, that's not changing.

Fortunately, one of my other metal workers just got taken by a mood... and he likes shields.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:25 am »

just realising after reese that a dwarfs likes may very well reveal the entire concept behind what artifact the dwarf makes
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:02 pm »

Right through my main food stockpile in the middle of drinking-time...

Then right through the throne room which doubled as a meeting place...

Then below that into the factory complex center...

Then below that, smashing into the lava tubes feeding the lava workshops...

Spilling the lava out...

...killing thirty dwarves in one go!   :P

Epic.  You win.  I don't think I could have pulled that off on purpose.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 23, 2009, 06:13:02 am »

In my current fortress, three of my eight artifact moods (and three of my first four moods) were immigrant gem setters...
The plus side is, (precious) gems are the most valuable mat aside from adamantine, so you can get some seriously shiny objects/furniture from those moods.

That they can ne'er do it again bugs me a little bit.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 23, 2009, 06:48:49 am »

A mild facepalm moment yesterday:

When I was dumping some goblin POWs into my killing pit, I was getting cancellation messages. At first I thought it was just the dwarves who were gathering the dumped items at the same time freaking out. However when I went down a z-level to start the meat grinder, I saw that there were no goblins in there. For a moment I was completely confused and then when I checked the door, I realized I had forgotten to lock it again after I had opened it for bone gathering (hence my facepalm moment). So I set it up to be controlled from a lever. The goblins had already been disarmed and were naked, so two or three of them got mauled by one of my cougars and some dogs, the two that had managed to get past the animals guarding the entrance to the trade depot got recaptured by the cage traps I have at both ends of my trap strip.

I would have drafted some of my dwarves, but I wanted to see how many would make it out.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:18 am »

I've got temporary beds set up on one of the circular platforms near the top of my bottomless pit, while the miners dig out proper rooms further down.  Now apparently one of my married immigrants was pregnant, because I suddenly get a notice (and zoomed to) a peasant, who gave birth to a baby girl.  The mother is sleeping in the bed.  Awww.

The first thing the baby does after I unpause?  crawl DIRECTLY to the edge and fall in to the bottomless chasm.  *facepalm*

And the mother is still ecstatic.... the 'death of a child' thought is being cancelled by the 'recently gave birth' thought.  *FACEPALM*
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

MCHamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2009, 08:20:25 am »

For awhile I was oblivious to the mass forbid/dump/melt features; I spent more time with the game paused after a siege marking stuff than the siege lasted.

MASS DUMP? WHAT? OH PRAISE ARMOK

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2009, 08:53:25 am »

as well as mass forbiding relcaiming etc. also did you know that you can set zone areas and most importantly refuse and above ground rules? :P like forbidding corpses and there item when they die. as well as forbiding dwarfs to stay inside while the military can go outside? ;D just saying
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2009, 02:37:04 pm »

I think Dwarven one-step-at-a-time thought processes must be contagious.  Last evening I had a wonderful idea.  The fortress I am working with at the moment has a brook that falls five levels through a notch in the landscape.  It is also fed by some aquifers that are cut by that notch, so there is "muddy brook (7/7)" on top of the "brook (7/7)" in the lower section.  The layers in between have the occasional 1/7 or 2/7 next to the face of the waterfall cliff due to the gel-like properties of DF water.  There was lots of mist in that little (four tiles wide) canyon.  I cut out a circular room halfway down, centered on the canyon.  It is about 28 tiles across.  I floored most of the canyon gap and did the part closest to the waterfall cliff-face with alternating grates and floor, and left an open gap right next to the cliff-face for the gel to ooze down.  Mist was coming both from the waterfall above the floor and from the turbulant water below the floor.

I put a statue on the far side from the entrance from the delvings, and made the entire room a statue garden.  The Dwarves loved it.  Lots of room to socialize, some overhead light so they did not get cave-adapted (their previous gathering place was 8x8 near the outdoor gardens), and a waterfall on one edge.  Pleased with myself, I went to bed.

This morning I began playing again.  The first wake-up call was a goblin seige that looked down into this canyon and said "Hey guys!  Fish in a barrel!"  I only lost one dog to that, mostly because the goblins got more interested in the fact that some of them had been impaled at the gate.

After the seige, I set my masons to walling off the access to the top of the canyon.  Everything looked rosy again.  Then winter arrived.  Dwarfsicles!  I actually only lost one child but, because the ice hides the bodies, I was not able to tell where she had been standing.  However, I saw that some of the tiles now covered with solid ice were ones that only had 1/7 water on them part of the time and the rest of the time only mist.

Panicking, I immediately set the Dwarves to removing the grates and the flooring in the icy area.  I guess I don't panic quickly enough, or else I had spent too long looking for the body of the frozen child.  At any rate, the ice thawed and two idiot Dwarves, who did not understand that unconnected grates don't support Dwarves, pulled the supports out from under another two dwarves who fell into the now melted "muddy brook (7/7)".  I did manage to get them out, along with various dogs and horses, and have now walled off the waterfall from the meeting area.

Oh well, at least now they are not trampling the aboveground crops on their way to their statue garden.   :D

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 729