Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130012 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #495 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:15 am »

Magma and sand in that to?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones
Wait, what are you talking about.

I... I never knew about that tool.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 17, 2009, 08:06:04 am »

discovering that booze next to graphite cola lignite coke and wood doesn't mix well with fire imps
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:11 pm »

the k-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d thing I've done before I learned about mass dump from here...

but my big face palm was in an early fortress, I made a well in the courtyard and a tunnle from it to a hatch near the drawbridge, and set the hatch as a pond to be filled...

everything was fine until it reached about 3/7-4/7, and then I noticed that my dorfs were filling my well using my well as their watersource.

The face palm comes from my current fortress, though, where I dug a well that was going to be filled with screw pumps... except I didn't have enough water from the nearby murky pools (waited for the pools to refill for the season) so I had a bucket brigade to carry the water the last 100 tiles from my pipeworks to my lower well chamber... which was, again, fine, until it reached 3/7-4/7 and they decided to fill the well from itself, treking more than the distance from where the water was to be pipped from because of the locations of the stairs on the multiple z-levels.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 19, 2009, 06:58:55 pm »

I let my nobles live long enough to kill my legendary woodcrafter. *facepalm*. I guess it's time to have REVENGE
Hello Hunam

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:12 pm »

I've been playing this game for two years, and only just found out that you can rapidly scroll through the u-nits screen using the 9 and 3 keys on the numpad. Gah.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »

I've been playing this game for two years, and only just found out that you can rapidly scroll through the u-nits screen using the 9 and 3 keys on the numpad. Gah.

WHAT
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »

Page Up, Page Down.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 19, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »

It also works on any menu that uses the arrow keys.

I find it easier just to remap those keys to shift+up and shift+down, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:40 am »

The thing that really kills me? I'd been using it on other menus with similar navigation for ages. It just never clicked to use it on that menu.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 20, 2009, 04:10:34 am »

Had two facepalms today when I retook a fortress which I abandoned because the first dwarf caravan got slaughted by the chasm creatures.  After assigning nicknames and proper jobs, I kicked all but five from the military to start fixing up the place.  After nearly three seasons of them running back and forth across a 16x16 map to stockpile their army gear, I suddenly realized I could have told them to stand in the fortress THEN strip down.

*facepalm*

And then my miners wouldn't mine, no matter what.  Everyone else went straight to work without a problem.  I unforbid the area just in case, made enough picks for all of them, kicked/activated from military, changed their weapon to axe and back to unarmed, nothing was working.  Then when scrolling through their labor screens, I realized none of them had mining activated.

*facepalm*

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:17 am »

Magma yes, sand no. Which is fine, nothing you can make out of glass that isn't better out of electrum, steel, gold, or platinum. And believe me, there's more iron here than you can possibly use, I've just finished smelting one of the six magnetite veins I've uncovered, and there are still two more limestone levels I haven't dug out.

It also has a fair amount of mithril (dig deeper) though I'm saving it for my noble moods (not a huge deal, they demand I make mithril, I smelt a bar then process it into deep steel) and some tetrahedrite you can use to make electrum or billon.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:12 am »

this just happened 5 mins ago causing the siege to anihilate my elf fort thunderforests.

wooden doors and buildings burrrrrn :( not good when a theres a squad accross the river of the fort and the doors keeping them out burn down

super facepalm
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 20, 2009, 10:34:51 am »

Magma yes, sand no. Which is fine, nothing you can make out of glass that isn't better out of electrum, steel, gold, or platinum. And believe me, there's more iron here than you can possibly use, I've just finished smelting one of the six magnetite veins I've uncovered, and there are still two more limestone levels I haven't dug out.

It also has a fair amount of mithril (dig deeper) though I'm saving it for my noble moods (not a huge deal, they demand I make mithril, I smelt a bar then process it into deep steel) and some tetrahedrite you can use to make electrum or billon.

Windows and essentially free green glass crafts (if you have magma)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:59:37 am by snaggles »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2009, 02:57:34 pm »

Not to mention training an army of legendary gem cutters and gem setters so that when you do get a rare diamond, you can be assured it's gonna be an exceptional decoration.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 729