Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136992 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7425 on: February 19, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »

The flux finder is being stupid this release. DFhack will help you find it.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: February 19, 2013, 06:13:15 pm »

The flux finder is being stupid this release. DFhack will help you find it.

I've been playing since August or so I think. I'm just confused as to why there is a problem now.
Does it automatically update?
Also, I still don't know how to use DFhack

My experiences with this game in terms of game mechanics and modding are my face palms
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: February 19, 2013, 06:16:04 pm »

Large amounts of minerals mess with the flux finder for some reason. It's been that way since the latest release. There's flux on the map, it's just not showing up in the finder. Lots and lots of false negatives.

In dfhack, type "prospect" and it'll give you the layers of the area.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Large amounts of minerals mess with the flux finder for some reason. It's been that way since the latest release. There's flux on the map, it's just not showing up in the finder. Lots and lots of false negatives.

In dfhack, type "prospect" and it'll give you the layers of the area.

I'm also guessing I should just go to the second lowest level of minerals?
Thanks. I'm happy the bacon tree didn't cause it all.
With DFHack, I guess I'll have to wait until I enter the game to check for flux?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #7429 on: February 19, 2013, 08:40:39 pm »

nah, with DFHack when you are looking for a place to set up shop you get the area you want highlighted and then go into DFHack to prospect. It will give you a rough rundown on everything on that highlighted block. Type 'prospect all' without the single quotes and you'll get a little more information added :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:03 am »

You can also embark and look at the Stones menu. Any layer stones you have will be permitted for general use, even if they're economic. Flux stone is economic and appears in layers, so...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:29 am »

Latest face-palm moment: telling my girlfriend about dwarf fortress.

I am not a smart man.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: February 21, 2013, 01:05:13 am »

New fortress. Lunatics from last fortress show up. A child goes berzerker on me, so I enlist everyone.

. . . did a little kid just kill the commander? Shit.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: February 21, 2013, 06:25:54 am »

A kobold was spotted sneaking into my fort, so I called in my bluemetal axesquad. The commander was the first one on scene. The next thing I know, he goes running the other way leaving a trail of red behind.

"What the... what just happened?" I say to myself, calling up the combat logs.

The Kobold thief strikes the militia commander in the lower left arm with the large silver dagger. The severed part goes flying off in an arc!
The militia commander has bled to death.

Goddammit.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: February 21, 2013, 06:17:52 pm »

So I tried the Masterworks mod as the kobolds, figured I'd like the challenge. Had issues with lack of wood, metals, and the like, but scrape by until the Elven caravan. Figured I could get all of that off the Elves no issue, since I had plenty of value to trade and they had plenty of each to trade with. The problem? I tried to trade spiked wooden balls and promptly got slaughtered by the Elves due to a lack of a military (no metals), and lack of wood (no arching them) ::). Gotta love forgetting key details when trading with the various races :-[.
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:58 am »

Latest face-palm moment: telling my girlfriend about dwarf fortress.

I am not a smart man.
When I told my girlfriend about DF, she accused me of being on drugs. I'm trying to get her to read Boatmurdered.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:17 am »

So I tried the Masterworks mod as the kobolds, figured I'd like the challenge. Had issues with lack of wood, metals, and the like, but scrape by until the Elven caravan. Figured I could get all of that off the Elves no issue, since I had plenty of value to trade and they had plenty of each to trade with. The problem? I tried to trade spiked wooden balls and promptly got slaughtered by the Elves due to a lack of a military (no metals), and lack of wood (no arching them) ::). Gotta love forgetting key details when trading with the various races :-[.

Reading this, I just realized why the elves got pissed at me all of a sudden...

My fortress was running low on food and cloth, so naturally I was delighted to see a caravan coming (even if it was elven, I mean, desperate times calls for desperate measures). Hauled all my craft-goods to the depot, and marked all the elves cloth and edible items for trade. However, since my craft-goods were in containers, I think I failed to notice that some wooden items came along (since they were stored in the same containers), because when I tried to trade the elf was like "I will not trade with someone who abuses fine wood in this way".

I was like serious wtf-mode. I mean sure, I tried getting away cheap, but no THAT cheap, and what is all this about wood?

But now I realize what happened... And since they haven't left, I think I'll kill them for insulting my crafts. Yes, that sounds about fair.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7437 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:34 am »

Reading this, I just realized why the elves got pissed at me all of a sudden...

My fortress was running low on food and cloth, so naturally I was delighted to see a caravan coming (even if it was elven, I mean, desperate times calls for desperate measures). Hauled all my craft-goods to the depot, and marked all the elves cloth and edible items for trade. However, since my craft-goods were in containers, I think I failed to notice that some wooden items came along (since they were stored in the same containers), because when I tried to trade the elf was like "I will not trade with someone who abuses fine wood in this way".

I was like serious wtf-mode. I mean sure, I tried getting away cheap, but no THAT cheap, and what is all this about wood?

But now I realize what happened... And since they haven't left, I think I'll kill them for insulting my crafts. Yes, that sounds about fair.

Want to sell them back their wooden shield? They get pissed, but it was THEM who made that thing.
They sell you wooden logs, but do not want anything made of them? But THEY felled the tree.

etc.

bobboy555

• Bay Watcher
  • A man who needs no introduction.
    • View Profile
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #7438 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:43 am »

When I sent my entire military (3 swordsdwarvesw, 3 marksdwarves) to fight an orc ambush and then another ambush appeared on top of my barracks. then I realised they had gone up though the barracks while the militia were busy being slaughtered. I also had prepared a burrow for this purpose but forgot to stock it...
So, yeah, a stack of 2000 copper coins covered in vile ash that makes you vomit blood to death is my signature weapon.

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:31 am »

Firstly, a goblin siege all mounted on giant bats arrived, and more than half of the bats were called dang. Seriously, what is with the random-name generator?
Also, a goblin in that siege was called Song Hatebottom  ??? I mean, seriously!
Edit: In adventurer mode, the only quest anyone in this town will give me is to go kill a vampire with 2174 kills. That may be a bit beyond my peasants capabilities.
Double edit: never mind that, now I'm being told to kill one with 6894 kills:o
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:54:43 am by Mortis »
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 729