Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2141389 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7410 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:53 pm »

Anyone want to put up a mod in that section with non-hostile adventurer dragons?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:37 pm »

Just give them a civ with the only tags being [CREATURE:DRAGON] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]. They won't actually appear anywhere, and thus no worries about wars or anything, but you can still play as an "outsider" in adventure mode. [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] can be put anywhere in a civ file to enable "outsider" play, which means you start in some random place with nothing but a spear and a knife (if you have hands), like some kind of primordial caveman. Just a note, you should probably add [CANOPENDOORS] to the dragon's creature file.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:39 pm »

Thanks!  :D
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:22 am »

Oh good, it worked.

And now, back to Facepalm Moments.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: February 12, 2013, 04:36:08 am »

Oh good, it worked.

And now, back to Facepalm Moments.

Quote from: Future GuesssWho

Got my ass toasted by the same dragon I was adventuring with...

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »

No, actually, the dragon died. It walked through a door that had an insanely overpowered bandit on the other side and died instantly.

osunightfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:45 pm »

So I had this fortress I called Coldgraves. I am a firm believer that in dwarf fortress one sets one's own challenges, so my idea for Coldgraves was kind of an eskimo-dwarf kind of thing. No farming allowed, no use of mechanisms, no metalworking. Hunting, fishing, and trading for things only. All constructions had to be above ground, of wood, and could have no more than a single basement with a footprint not greater than the building above it. The biome was near freezing, and the river thaws for only a few weeks each year.

Sometimes dwarf fortress teaches us lessons we already know. I had the fortress up to about 80 dwarves, with a communal longhall, trade depot, kitchen and butcher's shop, and so forth. Everything was going well. If you're a chronic above-ground builder like I am, you know one of the greatest challenges is maintaining your wall. A wall is completely necessary, since just locking yourselves inside buildings is not really a very good defense against sieges, but it eats labor and raw materials as only a megaproject can. So I was expanding the fort to include a barracks, but I discovered that my wall was one tile too close. Ideally, when expanding outdoor walls, you build the entire expansion without deconstructing any part of the existing wall first, so that at no time is your settlement vulnerable. Then you deconstruct the inner wall. But that's a lot of work, and it was just a few little tiles of wall. What was the worst that could happen?

*Urist McCarpenter begins deconstructing wooden wall*
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush! Curse them!

Yes, it turned out there were three squads of goblins loitering just outside the wall. Though I had a competent military, I didn't have enough. They killed about half the goblins before they were themselves killed by marksgoblins (leather armor and wooden bolts are not so hot). The goblins flooded the fortress, killing about 20 dwarves before I successfully got the rest inside the long hall, where I also keep my food for just this kind of emergency. Then I locked the doors and witnessed the worst tantrum spiral I've ever seen. 60 dwarves locked in a 2 z-level 10x10 building. Tempers flared, and the living killed the living until they were outnumbered by the dead. Wives murdered husbands, parents murdered children, and brothers murdered sisters. The most shocking moment came when a seven year old dwarf tore his own father's throat out with his teeth, before being mauled to death by a war dog. The beds contained more corpses, skeletons, and body parts than living dwarves, and the room was constantly purple from miasma. There was nowhere to put the corpses. Those few dwarves left alive slept next to the rotting corpses of their loved ones.

The dwarves lived in that hellhole for over a year. Eventually, of the 60 dwarves who survived the ambush, only 6 remained. But the people of Coldgraves are a harder sort than most. The settlement was a nightmare of corpses, trash, and buildings covered in blood, but I refused to give up. When the goblins finally left, I walled off the fortress from the outside world, including the trade depot, and vowed that the gates would not open again until that catastrophe of the great purge had been undone. My six remaining dwarves spent the next four years hauling clothing, cleaning blood, and burying the dead. Coldgraves is renowned for its expansive and picturesque above-ground graveyards. Finally, after a lot of sweat and toil, coldgraves was ready to function again. After eight years we began getting immigrants again, and reopened trade with the other races. Coldgraves' sole export for the next seven years after that was the clothes and possessions of those who had died. But we did come back from it. Coldgraves is now a sprawling settlement with many buildings and over a hundred dwarves. We have a hospital, wells fed from underground cisterns, a jail, fortress guard, and more sheep than we know what to do with. We are famed far and wide for our masterwork bone-crafts and high-quality dyed clothing. Our crack military of marksdwarves, axedwarves, and giant badgers keep all enemies at bay. We still have problems, but on the whole, life is good. I'm even considering allowing the mining of stone in order to build a great castle to look over the settlement.

In the end, Coldgraves taught me an important lesson: with time and tenacity, any fort can be saved. I send this message to all those who have posted in this thread. Don't give up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:28:07 pm by osunightfall »

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:42 pm »

Faithgate is my fortress. Fairly peaceful except for the literlaly never ending ambushes i think i get about 10 minutes of time between them.... 

Anyways Ambush!  Me "Better close the drawbridge and activate the saftey burrow". All dwarves Except random smith "Lets obey the burrow"

Urist McSmith " Im going to wait until the exact moment the bridge is set to lift up and then im going to ignore the burrows"
Drawbridge Activates.
Urist McSmith disapears from screen.  Reapears with broken leg.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: February 17, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »

Recently I found a miner dead, and I assumed it wasn't a murder, because nobody was around.
I did justice later, and there was not a single witness. At all.
Not found drained of blood, no mention of his death.

I decided "well have to convict someone", and my vampiress Velma was already locked up, and I can't convict her for a third blood draining if it didn't happen
So I convicted a capybara
Who had been dead for 8 months prior
On the surface, when the body was 18 layers below the surface
The capybara had also been named, and processed into fine goods

This resulted in every dwarf being outraged at the conviction

Not only did I not know you could convict dead animals for murder, I did it for the laughs, and couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes
Then, I noticed the tantrums, and how I just made everyone's moods worse simultaneously

EDIT: Two days later, they are still mad about it

ALSO, I made my first ballista ever in game
Loaded it
Made a restricted traffic path so nobody would cross its line of fire
I press fire pretty much to test it
A mother runs past, fine, her daughter seems like she'll go behind

NOPE
She goes IN FRONT OF THE FIRING SLOT
SHE GETS HIT POINT BLANK RANGE
The ballista arrow smears her blood all over the front of the ballista
The mechanic, and his son flee
The arrow nearly hits a wood cutter and his daughter, I mean, it goes diagonally and directly between them
It leaves the map

Half a day passes, she is still standing there, and I think bleeding still
I'm worried, and laughing that a 1 year old dwarf withstood point blank ballista fire

I checked, it says she can't breath, is winded, can't stand, or grasp
She's dead jim
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:50:57 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:41 am »

No, I have 200 seeds.  Where are they?

In the farmer's workshop, which has some give/receive orders associated with it and so won't give the seeds back to the generic seed stockpile.
That shouldn't stop dwarves from pulling the seeds out of the workshop and planting them (it doesn't for me). It's a pretty good way to stop seed spam, as at no time is a desired seed in a bag, being hauled around by another dwarf.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:00 am »

My latest fort has had been going very well, despite managing to attract four forgotten beasts and a titan in the last year. However, I failed to notice my barons mandate, and so my legendary+5 carpenter was deemed to have been responsible. Because I handn't bothered with a hammerer yet, my captain of the guard came along and started punching her , since he didn't have a weapon. He didn't have any skill at striker, yet on the second punch
Urist McCaptain punches the carpenter in the head, tearing the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The carpenter has been struck down

Her husband (swordmaster, full masterwork adamantine plate/sword/shield) went beserk, killing half the fort before dying from a bad case of arrows, and sending the fort into a tantrum spiral.
I currently have three sane dwarves with only minor injuries tending the dozen or so wounded, and a goblin siege sitting outside.

I have noticed that dwarves are a lot less hard headed than they used to be. I had a zombie brain my militia commander with one punch. That fort did not end well.

4 pages of undead, fortunately I managed to kill the necromancers due to luck. My fort above my entrance was working somewhat, but the drawbridge wasn't, though a little way down I had some floodgates, which where shut (though I'd completely forgotten to make traps). Everything in the siege wasn't going too badly, despite the vampire sneaking around, but they where all pretty unhappy. This being the first time I've ever been in danger of a tantrum spiral I wasn't sure what would help, but I knew letting the injured die from thirst wasn't a good idea; I had plenty of booze, but no water supply. So I dug my way into a pool.

Turns out one of the changes to the game has been ramps on the edges of every pool. Half the dwarves inexplicably made a bid for freedom, and where set upon by zombies.

Reclaim impossible, due to a giant fire breathing crab teleporting from safely trapped in a cavern to on the open fields.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: February 18, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »

I've found adamantine for the very first time.

It's 60-something levels down, in the middle of the magma sea, and I'm fairly sure I only 'found' it because a magma crab wandered past it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:06:48 pm by GuesssWho »

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: February 19, 2013, 09:32:53 am »

All but three of my armed units were hauling metal statues to a stockpile during an elven ambush... We survived but disabled furniture hauling on all of the militia...
This won't end well, it never does...

Kpn.Kardif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: February 19, 2013, 02:36:00 pm »

My latest expedition had two military dwaves with lvl 5 teaching skill as part of the initial embark crew, in the hopes that they would train new recruits up faster than just the average training (i have recently sworn off danger rooms).  Once I got everything moved underground I set up a barracks and had them start training each other.  They immediately began sparring, much to my satisfaction.  Later that year, I get a message saying "urist mcmilitiacommander has suffocated!".  Looking at the combat logs, it seems that the two sparring dwarves were wrestling, and one grabbed the other's left arm and threw him, slamming him into an obstacle, shattering the upper spine and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue.  Looking closer at the combat logs, it seems that they spent almost the entire time wrestling and punching each other, despite me having given them lvl 2 axe skill upon embark, and I had three copper axes with me. 

I then checked the equipment screen, as I wanted them to go shieldless to experiment with 2 handed axes.  Instead of removing their shield, I removed their weapons.

palm + face+ head + desk = ouch

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: February 19, 2013, 06:08:03 pm »

I was trying to add a simple plant into my game.
First time modding, add it to the plant standard bit

I load game, new world, and each new world, there is no flux. At all. I use the flux finding bit, put yes. Almost all spaces are red x's, and the flux category is in red.
I've tried multiple new worlds, and I'm a bit worried.
I face palmed due to my own likely stupidity. (And minerals were on the everywhere setting)
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 729