Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130060 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1470 on: April 16, 2010, 01:08:54 am »

Just a moment ago, i got the third Legendary Leather Buckler Encrusted With Diamonds in a row.
Well, at least Leatherworkes are kinda useful.
Also, i find very, very frustrating one thing - i can not give priorities to the designations (or facepalmish, if i don't know how to do it). Almost in every fortress i have a situation, like, very big designation for lots of rooms and other fancy stuff, "dig it, dorf!" and so on, and suddenly i need a very little thingy to be dug in this moment, not a couple-of-game-years-later - so i have to de&redesignate  lot of stuff to have it done right now. >_<

You can always un-designate just enough to keep the miners from getting to the rest of it.  Having a big chunk of space designated for mining doesn't do squat if it isn't connected to somewhere that the miners can get to.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 16, 2010, 01:49:43 am »

Well, I can not (at least not everywhere), because my dorfs dig mostly like a giant zig-zag via all the designated area.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 16, 2010, 03:10:06 am »

Well, I can not (at least not everywhere), because my dorfs dig mostly like a giant zig-zag via all the designated area.

Ah. See, if you want them to excavate it sanely, you'll need to break it up into segments such that either the width or the length is 2.

At least, that's what I always ran into with tunnels in 40d, was when I wanted a hallway 3-abreast, they'd take forever to clear it completely, instead preferring to do it in a zig-zag pattern down the length of it first.

So, if you want a large, hollowed out space, you'll want to do it as a series of hallways that are one space wide and just do the perimeter, and tunnels bisecting it width-wise and length-wise and then single-width tunnels slicing it up so that there's only single width stone walls left in the area, which will be cleared out in no time once they're designated after the initial mining.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:12:25 am by Coidzure Dreams »

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 16, 2010, 04:53:49 am »

1)
Dig throw the whole earth to find the caverns, you pathetic dorf!
<digging..>
<digging..>
No caverns, but magma see and lot's of adamantine just in the place i've designated to be dug out
YEAH!
<Forgot to dedesignate the z-levels of adamantine i didn't see>
Hello, dear hell! :(
No military, just the starting stuff.
Also, i didn't understand one thing - can i ever survive striking hell with, err, just killing all the demons? Or there will be the endless flow of them?

2) Starting to pump from the irrigated area back to the river, without seing that the flow is going throw my refuse stockpile and of course without disallowing dorfs to come to that stockpile. "Urist McAshman drowned" x3, with all 3 of my legendary miners.
Carp, i should always disallow that guys to haul anything >_<
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:15:48 am by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 16, 2010, 08:20:36 am »

1)
Dig throw the whole earth to find the caverns, you pathetic dorf!
<digging..>
<digging..>
No caverns, but magma see and lot's of adamantine just in the place i've designated to be dug out
YEAH!
<Forgot to dedesignate the z-levels of adamantine i didn't see>
Hello, dear hell! :(
No military, just the starting stuff.
Also, i didn't understand one thing - can i ever survive striking hell with, err, just killing all the demons? Or there will be the endless flow of them?

Same happened to me 10 mins ago. Designated huge area and went for a smoke and when I came back my last miller was running and dodging fireballs in the smoke. First Fortress destroyed this year.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 16, 2010, 10:18:05 am »

First ambush in DF2010.... Again, almost no military (10 novice - proficient wrestlers), but lots of traps. And lack of understanding how do i restrict my dorfs going outside.
From 12 invaders, i've captured 11 in the cage traps. 1 hammerman is running around, scaring my dorfs and killing some. I give an order for my wrestler-squad to kill this creature, and he kills everyone in the whole 10-dorf squad, and then leaves the map. Holy carp, i got 30! killed dorfs, and no less kittens and dogs with just a one crappy goblin. *facepalm*
Also among the killed there is three legendary stoneworkers & two mechanics.
Waiting for tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:20:23 am by nekoexmachina »
It's mildly depressing.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:54 pm »

I've long since gotten in the habit of setting up my fort so that the potential battlegrounds are well away from where civilians are ever going to wind up.  It still works in DF2010.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:31 pm »

I was sleepy and accidentally designated my entire living quarters area for digging instead of smoothing.. Noticed the living quarters about 30 minutes later and well... :o
That was a rather big facepalm moment.
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 16, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »

Personally, I facepalm every migration wave. More woodcrafters, clothiers and cheesemakers?

And, of course, the time when I designated a cougar cage to be taken to the depot. This was interpreted as 'release the cougar' so for five minutes I had a cougar running around the industry floor of my fortress. Happily, it ran into another cage trap I had placed near the river.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 16, 2010, 06:32:49 pm »

Spoiler: Forgotten fun stuff (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 16, 2010, 06:41:58 pm »

The moral?  Don't forget about your forgotten beasts.  That is exactly what they want you to do, it's in their name.

The more you know...
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 16, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:10:57 pm by Vertigon »

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »

The moral?  Don't forget about your forgotten beasts.  That is exactly what they want you to do, it's in their name.

The more you know...

The more you Coal's?

And as any steamship captain will tell you, coaling is half the battle.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 17, 2010, 02:11:55 am »

I was pumping magma 18 z-levels up (custom world generation with only one cavern layer) to a pipe two z-levels above the magma chamber for my metal industry. I checked on it, and realised that one of them had open space underneath a passable tile, and the magma was rising up and had already flooded the area to 4/7. Fortunately it was separated from most of my fort by a shale bridge (I knew it'd eventually be a good idea to make a bridge over that canyon instead of flooring) so the bridge melted and dumped most of the magma harmlessly on the brook. The only serious problem is now the !!coke!! that was in a nearby non-magma smelter.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 17, 2010, 04:36:57 am »

My face palm moments are pretty much every fucking second of playing this game. Why do I abuse myself for hours upon weeks upon months? Must kill goblins...
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 729