Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31805 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2010, 09:41:22 am »

Good morning!

I've got today off, so hope to get some work done.

Sunshaker: Thanks! It's not quite what I was looking for, but it will definitely help a lot.

Shadowsofwhite: I wasn't aware of the nickel content in meteoritic iron, but to a large degree that's irrelevant as far as the game goes. It's used to make "black iron" items and can be alloyed into "black steel" - neither of which really addresses the metallugical composition. SO, if there's nickel in there, that doesn't conceptually break the mechanism. It's interesting to hear that though, most of what I'd read in the past was that meteoritic iron was very pure. I learn something every day.

Smokingwreckage: Not at this time, but there's no reason you couldn't add some reactions to handle phosphate rocks that way. Mineral-to-bar reactions are easy. Corpses, bones, and skulls (especially!) are trickier, but that also could be accomplished I believe. I agree, though, that this would be an agriculture mod, not really a minerals mod. IF you were to make fertilizer more available, I'd give some thought to also engineering a NEED for it. Right now, crops are so absurdly productive that you can quickly grow far more than you can eat, so in order to make producing fertilizer meaningful, you'd need to make it NECESSARY in the first place.

Current status:

Tileset: Done, unless I tweak it some more.
Reactions: Done.
Mineral/rock raws:
 - Files re-organized, sorted, additions - Done.
 - Molten rocks 1.4.2 data add - Done.
 - Icons changed - 60%
 - Densities added - 60%
 - Colors set - 0%
Spreadsheets: Done, will update as necessary.
Readme: Done, will update as necessary.
Testing:
 - Reactions: Done.
 - Minerals: Done.
 - Graphics: 0%
Other tileset-related changes: 0%

With a little luck I should be able to complete adding in the densities and icon changes to my modified raws today. Then I may step away from the minerals for a moment and change all the OTHER raws as necessary to account for the tileset changes, so I can actually see what it'll end up looking like as I go through and set the colors. That'll take a while, since there are, for example, 50 different "generic" minerals that will all need to have unique colors assigned to them.

Rochndil, with a lot to do yet, but mostly busy-work...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »

I'm overjoyed to see you back in business, Rochndil. Looking forward to your work.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:46 pm »

My two cents:

Isn't Monel steel actually, or is Monel and Monel Steel ≠?

(And spell 'Aluminum' correctly, yankee :D)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »

My two cents:

Isn't Monel steel actually, or is Monel and Monel Steel ≠?

(And spell 'Aluminum' correctly, yankee :D)

Monel is a trademark of Special Metals Corporation for a series of nickel alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with some iron and other trace elements.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »

Good evening.

Yes, as Sunshaker said, Monel is a mostly-nickel alloy. It's used a lot on US military ships (my brother was a Machinist's Mate), because it's tough and doesn't rust. I've also heard that a smith on Guam (if memory serves) used a big chunk of Monel shafting as an anvil, so it can really take a beating!

I spell PRETTY good (not great) but type abysmally, so if I did misspell "aluminum" it was probably an accident.

Quick update:

Tile specifications for all minerals/soils/ores/gems: Done!
Densities for all: Done!
Other tileset-related changes: 20% (guessing, may be more or less)
Colors: 10% (also a guess)

With a little luck I'll get most of it taken care of this weekend. I already suspect I'll need to revisit the tileset at least a little, some of my tile designs suck. FORTUNATELY, there are some nice new ones I can see about stealing from (with appropriate credit of course).

Rochndil, heading off to bed, back to (paid) work tomorrow...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:56 am »

Nah, you know, in American English, it's spelled Aluminum, but the right way to spell it is Aluminium. Or so I think.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2010, 04:15:53 am »

Nah, you know, in American English, it's spelled Aluminum, but the right way to spell it is Aluminium. Or so I think.

Nope. Only the british spell it that way, and even then, only some british. It is much along the lines of saying nuclear as "nuceular", as George Bush does.

Ironically, spelling things like colour and labour as "color" and "labor" is chiefly from the U.S. (U.S. against the world), whereas spelling aluminum as "aluminium is chiefly from the U.K. (U.K. against the world).

Amusing.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:44 am »

Actually there's more to the aluminum/aluminium story than that. They're not variant spellings, they're different words. One deliberately uses an "ium" ending to make the word fit better with other metals in the periodic table, whereas the other is consistent with OTHER conventions (platinum for eg.). Internationally -ium is preferred but -um is also considered correct and is used universally in the USA from the early 20th century. Both spellings show up in the early literature, but as consciously different spellings/ pronunciations. Wikipedia, etymology, under aluminIUM.

EDIT: you can Google Aluminium and find it in the company names of minerals co.s in India and Australia as well as the UK and on French government sites.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:39:18 am by smokingwreckage »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2010, 06:31:51 am »

Nope. Only the british spell it that way, and even then, only some british. It is much along the lines of saying nuclear as "nuceular", as George Bush does.

Ironically, spelling things like colour and labour as "color" and "labor" is chiefly from the U.S. (U.S. against the world), whereas spelling aluminum as "aluminium is chiefly from the U.K. (U.K. against the world).

Amusing.

Well, Wikipedia thinks otherwise.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2010, 10:19:20 am »

Amusing.

Belgians also spell Aluminium that way. And I believe our Northern neighbours do too. Germany also uses Aluminium. You can check the german page for Aluminum: it doesn't recognise it. :)

EDIT: And I realise I'm helping to drag this topic even more off-topic. My apologies, Rochndil.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:24:28 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2010, 11:01:07 am »

NP, at least it keeps it on the front page. :)

You never know, somebody might have a flash of inspiration from reading that, stranger things have happened. Some of the most interesting ideas I've added in the MMO came from other folks.

Rochndil, who has been horribly busy all morning, but hopes to have at least a little modding time this afternoon...

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2010, 05:12:44 pm »

Amusing.

Next time we should invent the dictionary before we start colonizing the place. Live and learn.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2010, 06:04:43 pm »

Heh, I am glad for the correction.

Yay for being tired (I don't always do enough research when I am tired).

I thank you for the correction (I am not being sarcastic, I actually enjoy being corrected when wrong).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2010, 01:28:10 am »

Great to see this is still cooking; I might just have to figure out how to fix my broken instillation here soon.  ::)
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2010, 09:15:53 am »

Good morning!

At long last, MMO is finally in Beta! See the linkage in the first post. Go download it and tell me what breaks. Remaining tasks include tileset updates and color tweaking, but everything else should be done and ready.

Rochndil, very glad to be (almost) done with this beast...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10