Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31802 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 11:16:12 pm »

Rochndil, you said a while back...

I'll warn you though, mithril DOES spawn, but it's pretty darned rare. And since the metal is tagged [DEEP] it won't be available at embark as bars or worked goods, though it's possible it would be as a stone. You wouldn't believe how many worlds I genned to try and make sure it WAS spawning.

I've been having problems adding metals to my games, namely that either I give them the [DEEP] tag, in which case adamantine appears randomly on the surface whenever it places the modded metal as HFS, or I don't give them the tag, in which case the superior metals are available on embark.

Increasing their price still lets you embark with them instead of steel (just pushes your total embark points up enough for a e.g. mithril axe & anvil).

I was wondering if you could say how you avoided this. I take it you haven't had adamant veins at surface level. ???

You can freely give metals the [DEEP] tag.  The only effect of this that I'm aware of is to cause it never to be available at embark or from traders. 

What you should not hand out are [DEEP] tags to minerals, because they can appear as HFS stuff.  Interestingly enough, gemstones with the [DEEP] tag can also appear as HFS.  I learned this when I modded Star Rubies and got an HFS deposit of 'em!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:39:00 am by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 05:29:10 pm »

Ah yes, I re-downloaded DF to try again. Without saves or objects in my data directory, it worked just fine, so I'm guessing I forgot to delete the data/objects at one critical point.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »

Which is why Modbase always deletes the data files when it writes mods... I really should get to work on that Fort Knox project... >_>
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2009, 04:13:05 am »

I really don't want to go bump/necro on this topic, but this mod interests me way too much to just forget about it. Since RL is buggering you, Rochndil, and you stated that the first phase of the mod was already completed: could you post your work here?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 02:31:38 am »

:3  WEE!  I'm a fan of the mod and can hardly wait for it to come out, as I am another realism whore and have always been a bit bothered by some aspects of the metallurgy in DF.  Thank you so very much, and I hope RL gets less hectic and you release this mod soon! 

Also, is glass considered a flux in this mod?  I am no blacksmith or metallurgist (are you? :3  If so, cool! And do you make armor?), but I am pretty confident that glass was used as a flux in some steel working.  The only example I can think of is in the smelting of wootz blooms in the making of Damascus steel. 

That leads me to another suggestion/question that you may have already considered.  I know that with Damascus steel, the properties of the steel were not only due to the technique of forging and smelting the steel, but also due to the composition of the ore (wootz) it was derived from.  Perhaps you could include a very rare kind of iron ore from which Damascus steel could be made.

Oh, and also, perhaps include other different not necessarily rare iron ores that steels and irons of varying qualities could be made... well those different iron ores would only really matter if the dwarves didn't know enough about alloying to reliably achieve homogeneous steels and irons of desired qualities... which if they have smelters, they'd be able to do and I'd assume (as they are dwarves) would know how to do.  I guess it depends on what era of technology we assume these dwarves possess... hmmm...  I hope I am making sense.

Anyway, awesome mod.  :D 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:58:41 am by Andeerz »

Mrartix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2009, 02:43:23 pm »

I haven't read through this full thread to see if its been suggested, but perhaps give slag a higher catapult damage amount? Maybe make it equivalent to steel bolts vs. wood bolts in crossbows. I think that would be a much more interesting use for it than just building walls of the stuff.

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2010, 07:45:23 am »

This mod sounds awesome. Unfortunately it does look like the RL monster has completely stopped impetus on this Rochndil.

Are you planning to get back to it and finish it off? If now, would you please post phase1 and the current state so all your hard work doesn't go to waste.

Thanks.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:55 am »

Greetings!

Despite appearances, I'm not dead. I've actually been working on this mod the past few days, blowing off the dust and trying to remember what I'm doing. It's been some time since I wrestled with DF raws after all. At this point I'm probably 80% or more done, I just need to finish up reassigning the tiles in the raws, and then test it a bit.

Rochndil, hoping to get a bit more done in '10 than he did in '09...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:23 am »

Great news dude.

Look forward to playing with this mod. (maybe in DF2010?)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2010, 11:05:01 am »

IF the fates allow me to actually work on this for a bit, I should be done before The Great Toady One is. Not to mention that it'd probably have to be COMPLETELY re-jiggered for DF '10 since I've seen the new RAWS, and they change a lot.

That said, I have a question/help request.

I've been out of circulation for quite a while, and what I need to help me finish this mod may have already been created by someone. The last big task I have is to assign COLORS to all the different map tiles. The problem is, I often have a hard time visualizing the result (I'm a writer, not a graphic artist, as can be seen in my tileset!). What I really need is a tiny little app, or function in an app, where I can plug in 7:4:1 and SEE a sample of what it will look like without having to load up DF.

Has such a thing already been made? I would think that someone with a little Java-savy could throw an app together that would do that pretty quickly, but I've no such skills. You REALLY don't want to see me trying to program, it's...ugly. I actually tried to get Excel to do this, but it's too stupid to allow that many choices. If I knew VB there might be a way, but guess what? I don't. :)

Rochndil, earning his World's Slowest Modder trophy...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

Could you not use the colors from a screen capture of the colors page off wiki and a regular graphics editor program to build a sample character color library. Find two shapes (small (say , or .) and large (say * or #) characters) and make one image with each character in each color and each background, perhaps surrounded by 8 squares of plain black.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2010, 01:30:15 pm »

That would be possible, yes, but making up 256 different swatches would get pretty tiresome. :)

If there's no way to do it programmatically I'll just have to do it manually, which is how I do everything else. 

Rochndil, who brought his notes back from home...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »

Cut and Paste are your friends.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »

So far, this mod looks quite amazing.

I only have one gripe: Meteoric Iron.

You have it stated that meteoric iron is a super pure form of iron, which leads me to a touch of confusion: IRL, meteoric iron is an alloy of iron and nickel (as per how it comes from meteorites). Might I suggest that meteoric iron be found in small clusters, as an alloy of nickel and iron, in soil layers, just to give the illusion of meteorites. A good early source of iron, albeit minute.

I am in amazement at everything else. I will refrainf rom using this until it is refurbished for DF2010, though, due to that I am working on a mod of my own and don't want too much distraction.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2010, 04:12:57 am »

So any chance phosphate-bearing rock can be crushed and used as fertiliser, like potash is? Really corpses should be able to be rendered like fat to produce Meat Meal, Bone Meal, and Blood Meal, again for fertiliser. Unh, agriculture mod....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10