Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the correct fps?  (Read 2742 times)

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the correct fps?
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »

My game is super fast, like 300 fps, is the correct one just as fast as you can get it ?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: What is the correct fps?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:49:48 pm »

It is standard 100.  That is viewed as correct.

WHAT THE HELL 300 @!#$# FPS!! I'M CURRENTLY LIMPING ALONG AT 45! WHILE PAUSED!

Please share your secret.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »

I imagine he only has few dwarves. with d11 i can push 200 fps with the starting 7 on my shitty old comp

as far as correct, it's pretty much as fast as you want/can get the game to go. 100 fps is the standard max (you can cap it in the init.txt file, uder FPS_CAP), but if you like things going faster (I know I do) it's up to you
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:55:52 pm by AncientEnemy »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:23 pm »

I get like 6 with a 40 dwarf fortress, and adventure mode is impossibly jerky.

dungeon crawl 4 ever

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:36:02 pm »

I get like 6 with a 40 dwarf fortress, and adventure mode is impossibly jerky.

dungeon crawl 4 ever

ouch. have you tried version d11, and stuff like turning off temperature/weather/ or lowering the max GFPS?

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:51:08 pm »

if you dont care too much about smoothness (as in not in adventure) you can change the g_fps (or something like that) to make the game move farther between the time it refreshes (or something..i dont quite get it).

anyways i have mine set to like 1000 fps cap, but the g_fps is like 5 or something.

the result is that at the start of a game, the dwarves move like 10 tiles at a time, to the point where you cant really follow them. Once i have a bigger population, pets, and w/e else, they slow down as the game speed slows down.

So, for a populated fort, say you normally move once every 10 frames, by change the g_fps cap you can make your dwarves move 2 times every 10 frames, or something like that.

I think? i dont know if im right in all that, i just know that it works :)
-Toast-_

SnorriMabdugkosak

• Bay Watcher
  • Biban Deler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:33:07 am »

I use 200 FPS as cap but that's only with temperature and weather off and not too much elevation. Also, invaders moving around lower FPS to 50-150, depending on how much there are. I have never had a map where I turned temperature on for magma which was able to get above the 120 FPS, and even that was only as long as nobody was doing anything. So there's no such thing as a 'correct' FPS, it fluctuates when there's much calculating going on anyway.
"Get rid of that wine, beer, rum, and all that damn human and elven brews... Ale! We shall live and thrive on ale and ale alone!!!"
-"Snorri Mabdugkosak" Uberdwarf, inspiring his dwarfs during the Beverage Cleansing in Rashgeshud, Ewéathira in 144.

"The problem of Elven children is best solved with strangulation."
-Kogsak Maggotkiller, adventurer.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:00:13 am »

I use 60 FPS cap.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:37 am »

I want a FPS capacitor.  I'll store everything above 100 fps I get at the beginning of the game and spend them to maintain a 50 fps at the end. 

That's going to take a lot of capacitors.  I'll need 360 kf just for the first hour!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:07:40 pm »

With d11, early forts for me are easily around 200 FPS and it gets hard to keep track of what my dorfs are doing. I'd say 100ish is reasonable.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 01:15:07 pm »

I get about 100 till i have about 10 dwarves. Then it starts hovering around 40 or so till the fort crumbles. Ive actually managed to play a few 16x16 maps on a shit laptop. They collapsed after anything migrated in.

I want a FPS capacitor.  I'll store everything above 100 fps I get at the beginning of the game and spend them to maintain a 50 fps at the end. 

That's going to take a lot of capacitors.  I'll need 360 kf just for the first hour!
I am intrigued. Is this a real product? That would be awesome. Explain please.

arcane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:14 pm »

people are so spoiled these days.  Why back in my day we had 24fps in our movies and we liked it.  Then television came along with its 30 frames and the power creep started.  Now people aren't happy unless they can run crysis and DF at the same time with 75 to 100 frames per second each.

Rassa frassa.....

What you gotta remember was I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »

What you gotta remember was I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.
...in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Give me five bees for a quarter!", you'd say...
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:37:40 pm »

WHAT THE HELL 300 @!#$# FPS!! I'M CURRENTLY LIMPING ALONG AT 45!

45?  You lucky...

WHILE PAUSED!

Ouch :o

On a more serious note...

I like to leave the pop cap at the default 200, and with 40d (just 40d, not 40d#), that leaves me with about 12 FPS.  Turning off temperature and weather bumps that to just shy of 20 FPS.  Nothing else I've done seems to make a difference, but that's probably in large part because I'm too nervous to change much*.

I tried 40d# a few versions ago (d6? d8? something like that...right before the current burst of updates), and it didn't seem to do any good.  One of the suggested init setups damn well nearly froze my computer, in fact.  But I think I'm going to give 40d# another try in a few days when I'm sure Toady won't be updating it any more for a little while.

*There was once an "incident" involving Counterstrike, a USP script, and having to completely reinstall Half-Life :-[
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »

I never completely understood how the displayed framerate is tied to the actual gamespeed in DF, basically the difference between g_fps and fps sorta eludes me, so please excuse how I will abuse the vocabulary in the following post:

I mean, a game like this could run at 25 frames per second, you wouldnt really notice it doesnt run fluid. The fastest dwarves at a proper gamespeed wouldnt look like they are lagging around. The real question is ... how long does stuff take ingame. When your computer is fast enough to calculate all the stuff that is going on, so the things that are happening dont appear slow, it's fine.

I believe a videocard that renders 200 frames per second, even simple ones like you get from DF runs at a higher temperature than one that draws only 60 or even 30 frames. So, I bet, in the long run, it shortens the lifespan of the vidcard  ;D
Pages: [1] 2