Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tapping trees and bushes for extracts  (Read 2437 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tapping trees and bushes for extracts
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:23:45 pm »

Would allow you to collect the extract of a plant without killing it, there sap from most trees if there is no defined extract it will do <Insert tree name> Sap. You might be able to collect latex from a rubber tree then turn vulcanize it at the alchemists.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping trees and bushes for extracts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »

It might be interesting to be able to plant fruit trees, which would take some time to grow but could then be harvested from many times when they are in season.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:25 pm »

Idea supported fully.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:12:56 am »

Supported, and if there is going to be recipes, HARD SYRUP!

Or maybe, Dwarven Syrup.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:08 am »

And maple syrup. You should be able to drink some saps instead of water as well.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:31:36 am »

And maple syrup. You should be able to drink some saps instead of water as well.

It would be rather nasty and would take too long to be a reasonable source of water. Though I guess if you already had a bucket of it on hand you might as well.

One survival Strategy the Canadian Mounties used way way back was they would stomp around in the mud... then use the water from the mud.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:05:49 am »

It would be rather nasty and would take too long to be a reasonable source of water. Though I guess if you already had a bucket of it on hand you might as well.

One survival Strategy the Canadian Mounties used way way back was they would stomp around in the mud... then use the water from the mud.

Eh? Isn't this how Montreal gets their water?

JK

<3 <3 <3 to the Canadians =)

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:20:42 am »

We all love Canadians, but we got to stay on topic...

So honey combs, and nectar?

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:31 am »

Yes! and bee farms. And Bees.

*Flashabcks of a certain Bee related thread*
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »

And mead!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »

Cacti can make good sources of water sometimes, though. Saguaro-tapping, while generally illegal in the southern US now, would be a good survival strategy. Pretty clean water in those, I think.

The reason it's illegal to fuck with saguaros now is because they take like 75 years to grow completely.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:45:44 pm »

Cacti can make good sources of water sometimes, though. Saguaro-tapping, while generally illegal in the southern US now, would be a good survival strategy. Pretty clean water in those, I think.

The reason it's illegal to fuck with saguaros now is because they take like 75 years to grow completely.
I actually think it is poisonous.  Most cacti have excess of oxalic acid in them, the same stuff which is in rhubarb leaves.   Drink very much cacti-water and you will be losing pieces of stomach.   Not that you could actually stand to drink it.  The TV shows where they tap barrel cacti... yeah.. that would end them quick unless they knew what type of cacti they were tapping *one or two species are safe*.

If you want to get the effect, Try drinking some CLR cleaner.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:51:54 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:43:22 pm »

Yeah, I heard that only a couple are safe.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »

Oxalic acid?  I've never heard of that.  I've heard from several sources that the strongest acid is hydrochloric acid (AP chem class w/ up-to-date book included), and that's the stuff in our stomachs.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Minalkra Matal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://NO!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »

Oxalic acid?  I've never heard of that.  I've heard from several sources that the strongest acid is hydrochloric acid (AP chem class w/ up-to-date book included), and that's the stuff in our stomachs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach_acid

0.5% of your gastric acid is HCl  Pour pure HCl on one hand and vomit on the other.  Which burns faster.
GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2