Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Top 50 pc games (not really)  (Read 5045 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Top 50 pc games
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 03:38:17 pm »

But WHY doom over wolfenstein? If you say "true" 3d I have to say "Descent"  ;D

What about that ancient game called "Elite"? I thought that it was 3d also, but I might be wrong.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 04:10:12 pm »

What of tribes?

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »

Elite was 3D, though in an 'open' space game that's not that difficult to implement, whereas Descent was actually in a full 3D environment.

I was about to go with Elite anyway because it was a great game, but I just realized it wasn't a PC game.

So my spontaneous list, not mentioning ones already mentioned, and going with a personal interpretation of "top" (so rather subjectively important than say influential):

Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
The Secret of Monkey Island
Wing Commander
X-Wing (or maybe Tie Fighter... )

(Further ones would include e.g. Counter Strike, so if anyone wants to mention it...)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »

The Secret of Monkey Island

Yes.
Just yes.
That is the greatest adventure game ever.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »

The monkey island series are a must!

Can't believe I forgot them. Same with the indiana jones ones... Back when lucas arts was actually good... Full throttle... etc.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »

Elite was ported to the PC though wasn't it? Descent might have had a 3d environment, but I don't think it was a great game.

Heh, I just realised dreiche managed to fit about 15 games into 5 labels.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:51 am »

I was about to go with Elite anyway because it was a great game, but I just realized it wasn't a PC game.
See, that game is the reason why I dont like the platform thing.

It had its PC versions, but I believe originally it came out for the C64 or some other home computer of that era. It also had a pretty nice amiga port.

Either way, Elite is a milestone of gaming.

The monkey island series are a must!

Can't believe I forgot them. Same with the indiana jones ones... Back when lucas arts was actually good... Full throttle... etc.
That's why I said "early Lucas Art adventures". They're all pretty good. Especially Zak McKracken and Day of the Tentacle.

Or what about space quest 1-umpteen?

Also "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards" deserves a spot!

Elite was ported to the PC though wasn't it? Descent might have had a 3d environment, but I don't think it was a great game.
I didnt like the game, either. In fact I barely enjoyed it. It just felt... boring, somehow. But if I remember correctly, it really was the first 3d game, as somebody said, with a true 3d environment and true 3d movement. It also was the first that actually required you to AIM up and down  :D And it was well received.

Up til then we only had games like the mentioned FPS, which didnt really have that y-axis, even if they tried to create that illusion. And of course games like Elite or your average "flight simulator" (red baron anyone  ;D ?) which only had empty space or a flat plane with some pyramid shaped humps.

Oh and I almost forgot, the first game using Voxelspace deserves mentioning, too. But I dont remember whether it was "Comanche" or "Flight Commander". Either way, both games were somewhat innovative or at least tried to do something new. Even if they faded into obscurity (more often than not that's the mark of a truly innovative game  ;D)

And as I already pointed out in the guiness thread... "Outcast" hit the gaming world pretty hard, too, be it because it was great, or just because it was barely playable when it came out. There is an open source project of that game, so if you never got around to enjoy it, give it a try. If I remember correctly, the protagonist had to "learn" the alien language slowly, before he could even talk to the npcs. That game had a lot of good ideas that we never saw before back then.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:37:55 am by Puck »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 01:28:50 am »

No Rogue? No Warcraft 2? No Duke Nukem 3D?

For shame, everyone. For shame.

(although yes, I realise that Rogue may be ineligible due to it pre-dating the PC)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 01:35:19 am »

Duke Nukem is pretty much overhyped, I hate to say it  ;D There was this nice comic, I think penny arcade or xkcd, that pointed out that the only really memorable thing about it might have been the strippers.

It didnt give us ANYTHING that other games havent given us before. Apart from strippers, and really immature mentality altogether, that was really well received by the average gamer demographic back then (mostly adolescent males, not geeky, beardy scientists anymore).

But strictly speaking, Duke Nukem 3D wasnt all that special.

edit; altough I have to admit, it was the first game in which I saw my avatar in a mirror. I think one of the first things I tried was to load up the level editor and place two mirrors in front of each other, which made the game crash, or something  ;D

Oh and again, something else comes to mind:
In my opinion Peter Molyneux games are something special. Even if that guy seems to turn into a smug bastard, that really likes to sniff his own farts. (Is that redundant?)

Even if some of his games didnt work out or werent well received, they mostly were innovative in one way or another, bordering on experimental or just being brave when it comes to their design. One day I discovered I enjoyed almost ALL the games he made, up to that point I didnt even realize he had been responsible for them. Let me just mention a few, could you guys REALLY tell me you didnt like most of them?

Lemme see... there was Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Hi-Octane (long before wipeout iirc), Magic Carpet, Flight Unlimited (supposedly the first "real" flight simulator, that calculated aerodynamics rather than look up plane behaviour in charts), Black and White 1. I would say "Theme Park", but to be honest, that's nothing more than "Sim City" with a few extra mechanics. Still, it was cool  ;D

I never played Fable, btw.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:48:10 am by Puck »

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:16 am »

Dominions 3 (I think its depth is amazing)
Galactic Civilizations II
Dwarf Fortress (seriously, no one chose this one?)
and...
Rome: Total War, if I can't just say Total War series.

As it's PC games, I tend to go for strategy and depth. It'd be more action oriented if it were console based.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 02:13:16 am »

Dwarf Fortress (seriously, no one chose this one?)
Post 2, Spot 2.  ;D

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 02:26:27 am »

Oh! Pick me!
I haven't played any of the old games (I'm 13  :() so here's my list:

1. World in Conflict
2. Nethack - Fun and addictive...
3. CortexCommand - Mod making is awesome
4. Supreme Commander - A very complex RTS
5. AoE 2

Yeah I love strategy rogue likes. (Been trying to get my hands on X-COM for quite a while, I heard its great)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 04:06:00 am »

I can't include the last 2 entries 'cause neither of you read the op properly. (there's a reason I didn't include df and there's only 4 spots left, i believe)

Hey puck I don't know if molyneaux was responsible but aren't you forgetting syndicate?? And LSL&LL is great but did you ever play quest for glory? I hate point and clicks so i only play 1+2 now.

Ilikepie if your morals aren't too strict x-com is on most abandonware sites.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 04:12:34 am »

Yes , I forgot Syndicate. Even meant to put it there.

edit; and something richard garriot made: Ultima series.
If i had to pick one, it would be ultima V. Dunno why, but I liked that one best.

I believe ultima 6 was the first rpg that didnt look like ass (but I could mix up the timeline on that one, tbh) and ultima IV had very similar gameplay to ultima V.

But for me ultima V always was the nicest. I really liked the looks and all. I'm not even kidding.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:47:19 am by Puck »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 09:01:59 am »

It was a PC game also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)

Elite's open ended game model, advanced game engine and revolutionary 3D graphics ensured that it was ported to virtually every contemporary home computer system, and earned it a place as a classic and a genre maker in gaming history. Elite was a hugely influential game, serving as a model for more recent games such as Eve Online, Freelancer, Jumpgate, Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Wing Commander: Privateer, the Escape Velocity series and the X series of space trading games.
A pseudo-sequel, Elite Plus, was released for DOS in 1991. Whereas the original Elite for the PC used CGA graphics, Elite Plus was upgraded to take advantage of EGA, VGA and MCGA. It was coded entirely in assembly language by Chris Sawyer, who later wrote RollerCoaster Tycoon.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:03:31 am by Tormy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5