Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Socializing should not raise strength  (Read 1752 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Socializing should not raise strength
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:38 pm »

Dwarven socializing is

BEARD CHOKIN'
ARM RASSLIN'
FACE PUNTIN'
LADY STEALIN'
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:20 am »

This raises the question of whether dwarves are aware of he fact that their civilization is on the brink of total collapse, and that the flapping of a butterfly's wing could bring their fortress spiraling down in ruins.

When somebody's dinner is late, his first response is to find somebody to punch. That doesn't sound skittish about physical contact to me.

Edit: Core 73 says that skills could become associated with more specific attributes.

The bugs/limitations of the game's current and/or past versions do not, necessarily, make for canon, despite popular opinion on the subject.  :P
For they would be your masters.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:08 pm »

I have to say that dwarves always struck me as the types who WOULD get benefits in strength from social interactions.

I reference Kelgar from Never Winter Nights 2.  He was ALWAYS looking for a fight, and he felt that every conversation was supposed to end in a fist fight.

He also held no ill will of bad feelings to the other party.  He actually respected them more when they mopped the floor with his dwarven arse.  *see the monks*

He didn't respect Neeshka, that's for sure.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:56 am »

What sort of dwarf doesn't at least arm-wrestle?  And those are the little girls!

Granted, it should probably raise strength pretty slowly.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 09:55:22 am »

What sort of dwarf doesn't at least arm-wrestle?  And those are the little girls!

Granted, it should probably raise strength pretty slowly.

Don't you think that sort of thing should be explicitly modeled?  (There have been a few 'dwarves DO things when sociallizing games threads...)

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:40 am »

A Legendary <insert conversation skill> dwarf should probably not be all that Mighty, but it wouldn't be unreasonable if they'd gained at least a few bars of <insert stat here>.

And imagine if they're Legendary Intimidator.  Okay, sure.  Urist McSwagger is probably not as tough as his reputation says he is.  Bomrek Windgrasp the Legendary Wrestler could probably kick the stuffing out of him.  But dwarves seeming the violent creatures they are, he wouldn't have gotten that reputation without at least a few fistfights.

I say that conversation shouldn't raise attributes as much as other things, but perhaps it should raise them somewhat.  You're more likely to talk to someone who's not just friendly, but also reasonably sturdy.  Or can juggle (agility for the win).  Once mental attributes are slipped in here those will probably raise significantly more than physical ones from conversation.

Other races would be less reasonable to have even that much.  Does anyone play the game as Elves?  You think it's silly for a dwarf to end up Ultramighty from chatting with his buddies, it would be funnier still if that happened for an elf.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:59:48 am »

And imagine if they're Legendary Intimidator.  Okay, sure.  Urist McSwagger is probably not as tough as his reputation says he is.  Bomrek Windgrasp the Legendary Wrestler could probably kick the stuffing out of him.  But dwarves seeming the violent creatures they are, he wouldn't have gotten that reputation without at least a few fistfights.
This is not true.  Being intimidating has nothing to do with being able to hurt someone.  Your boss can be intimidating, for instance.  But even beyond that, there are people who can simply impose their will on the situation and -make you uncertain of yourself- without the need for threats, violence, or anything else.  It's something innate.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 09:52:16 am »

Dwarven socializing is

BEARD CHOKIN'
ARM RASSLIN'
FACE PUNTIN'
LADY STEALIN'
MEN STEALIN'
 Because dwarven females are badass.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »

This is not true.  Being intimidating has nothing to do with being able to hurt someone.  Your boss can be intimidating, for instance.  But even beyond that, there are people who can simply impose their will on the situation and -make you uncertain of yourself- without the need for threats, violence, or anything else.  It's something innate.

You're right, I didn't think about that.
I've only ever been intimidated by anything once in my life.  It wasn't enough to make the sensation non-alien.  (I very much regret having allowed it to work.)  It's safe to say that I don't really understand intimidation.
I still suspect intimidation is at least more dangerous stuff than conversation or comedy.  I have a fear of uncertain people.  They get erratic.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:51 pm »

I have to say that dwarves always struck me as the types who WOULD get benefits in strength from social interactions.

I reference Kelgar from Never Winter Nights 2.  He was ALWAYS looking for a fight, and he felt that every conversation was supposed to end in a fist fight.

He also held no ill will of bad feelings to the other party.  He actually respected them more when they mopped the floor with his dwarven arse.  *see the monks*

He didn't respect Neeshka, that's for sure.
No one respects Neeshka.  Malcolm Reynolds kicked his ass.  Twice.  In his own base.  After being tortured by the owner of said base.  Malcolm Reynolds is awesome.  Worthy of Dwarfhood.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:43 pm »

Captain Tightpants, we salute you.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]