Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Socializing should not raise strength  (Read 1754 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Socializing should not raise strength
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »

<Midnight> Navian: Socializing won't raise strength, will it?
<Navian> yes it will
<Midnight> ... That makes little sense.

Socializing should not at all raise strength. Talking to people is not the equiviliant of getting a steriod boost. Can you please, please fix it? That's all.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Socializing should not raise strength
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:33:39 pm »

Dude, this is a bug.  It's been reported.  It's going to get fixed.
Toady is a smart guy. He would not intend for dwarves to be able to become superdwarvenly tough just by talking.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »

Dude, this is a bug.  It's been reported.  It's going to get fixed.
Toady is a smart guy. He would not intend for dwarves to be able to become superdwarvenly tough just by talking.

I wouldn't call it a bug -- just unexpected behavior, I think.  I can't find anything in the dev pages about fixing it, so it's possible that it's been overlooked. 

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:22:17 pm »

Well these are dwarves, maybe they socialize by beating the shit out of each other with their beards?
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:23:24 pm »

It's POSSIBLE that it's been overlooked, but considering that there are now mental and physical traits, I doubt it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:04 pm »

It's POSSIBLE that it's been overlooked, but considering that there are now mental and physical traits, I doubt it.

We do have more attributes now, but I don't think Toady mentioned anything about implementing separate XP pools so that different types of experience would raise different attributes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:29:58 pm »

Dwarves do not speak; they merely communicate in brief but intense arm-wrestling competitions. The written language is a phonetic representation of the various grunts and groans they make.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:45:16 pm »

We do have more attributes now, but I don't think Toady mentioned anything about implementing separate XP pools so that different types of experience would raise different attributes.

I'm willing to wager Toady is adressing vocalized exercise with the new attribute system.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:27 pm »

The List does have an entire Skills/Attributes section, including the rather vague "Handle attribute increases" item, so hopefully you're right.

Ignoro

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:02:07 pm »

I can see this. Socializing among my group involves being punched in the shoulder and returning it often.
It should probably be toned down to where it is barely noticeable.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:30:59 pm »

Okay, make sense. As long as it is being addressed.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 07:33:53 pm »

Social skills raising physical attributes isn't a skill so much as Toady hasn't gone around adding in social and mental attributes in yet. So he probably doesn't feel a need to attributing all the skill points to everything else.

Heck the fact that even the physical attributes are entirely random needs to change eventually as well. I mean the fact that you can, though it would be highly improbable, to become a master axemen but not gain any strength is flabergasting!

Note: I appologise for my spelling in advance.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 07:44:44 pm »

It seems entirely reasonable that-what with all the animal-men running around-some of the horned ones would engage in "social activity" by headbutting the crap out of each other.

I kind of disagree that dwarfs would engage in social forms of physical violence, just because there's always a good chance that the one you're interacting with might be insane/psychotic/on the edge of a fell mood, etc.

I'd think that dwarfs would naturally be a little physically skittish, compared to the average medieval human, and that they'd have a lot of carefully observed social customs to keep conflagration to a minimum.
For they would be your masters.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

This raises the question of whether dwarves are aware of he fact that their civilization is on the brink of total collapse, and that the flapping of a butterfly's wing could bring their fortress spiraling down in ruins.

When somebody's dinner is late, his first response is to find somebody to punch. That doesn't sound skittish about physical contact to me.

Edit: Core 73 says that skills could become associated with more specific attributes.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:46:18 pm by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:47:20 pm »

I have to say that dwarves always struck me as the types who WOULD get benefits in strength from social interactions.

I reference Kelgar from Never Winter Nights 2.  He was ALWAYS looking for a fight, and he felt that every conversation was supposed to end in a fist fight.

He also held no ill will of bad feelings to the other party.  He actually respected them more when they mopped the floor with his dwarven arse.  *see the monks*

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.
Pages: [1] 2