Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Retiring and Old Forts  (Read 1839 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Adventurer Retiring and Old Forts
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:03:31 pm »

Query. If you retire an adventurer in an abandoned fort, will they live there?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Retiring and Old Forts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:06:47 pm »

I don't believe you can retire in an abandoned fort.  It probably just lets you starve like anywhere else.

If you did, the adventurer would probably form a group an migrate away, unless you reclaimed fast enough.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 05:56:05 pm »

Hmm. Plan B, then; build a fort on a Human town and add a structure to it. If you retire there, will the adventurer stay?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »

Dunno.  In my experience, everything at the site dies or flees when you abandon it.  I imagine the game doesn't like it when two entities exist on the same site, and one decides to leave.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:36:06 pm »

I just tried this, I did a Play Now! fort dirrectly on a human town and abandoned it. When I showed up I could either travel to the Town or to my "mountain hall". The town was unchanged (besides the wagon) and I could retire in it. If I traveled to my fort I could only give in to starvation.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »

I just tried this, I did a Play Now! fort dirrectly on a human town and abandoned it. When I showed up I could either travel to the Town or to my "mountain hall". The town was unchanged (besides the wagon) and I could retire in it. If I traveled to my fort I could only give in to starvation.
So what would happen if you used embark_anywhere to make your fort directly on top of the town, so that there's no tile of fort that's not town, and no tile of town that's not fort?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »

So what would happen if you used embark_anywhere to make your fort directly on top of the town, so that there's no tile of fort that's not town, and no tile of town that's not fort?

you dont need embark_anywhere to do that.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:21:31 am »

i heard making a fort on a town breaks shops from working in adventure mode, but this was several version ago. does this still happen? i feel like adding epic monuments and churches to some of the capital cities, but dont want to screw things up too much.

also, you cant embark on a parent civ. as in, when playing as dwarves you would need embark anywhere to make a fort on top of an existing dwarf city, though you can quite happily land on any other civ, elf, human, goblin or even kobolt if you can find them. as per this version though i beleive they will allways be friendly towards you, even the goblins.

what i would like is any more info about abandoned fortress sites and what happens with them over time. to date all of mine, even my ones built on chasms, dont really get populated by anything interesting, and remain more of less empty. tame pets die, anything not tame in a cage that isnt placed as a building gets released, and a lot of dwarves either die or wander off. the only odd addition ive seen is that sometimes, for some strange reason, there are traders with wagons at the site who were not there at abandon. any ways of making sure a fort will be full of creepy crawling evil things?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Get HFS'ed.  That is all.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned