Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: This is probably a really stupid sand related question, but I'll ask anyways...  (Read 3515 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hi!

As for the goblin sieges, Stay Inside is not really that efficient. More likely than not, your dwarves will end up walking to the entrance, then notice they can't go any further, turn back, get the same job again and return to the entrance.

Basically, when you are facing a siege and want to make sure that the dwarves fall back, draft them; set their military settings to 'stay close to post' and then station them where you want them to be.

Of course, this will stop the dwarves from doing any work, so you should see to it that the siege is dealt with quickly.

Note that siegers are cheating currently. They will know it if you lock all your entrances and will simply wait outside not moving a single tile until there is an open path into your fortress. Fortunately, they do not notice traps, so having a single path into your fortress which is heavily trapped is a very fast and efficient way to end sieges.

When considering siege defenses, also consider that there are bow and crossbow units which are EXTREMELY dangerous in the game. So, make sure that they do not get a clear shot from beyond your traps at your entrance area or any other places your dwarves may be. Constructed walls are your friends :) :)

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this a known problem?
Every time I view a new page it flickers between the previous one and the new one.  ex:  I'll be on the main menu.  I'll click the Let's play button and it begins to flicker the load page.  If I click escape button to return to the main menu but then I have three pages flickering.  The same thing happens with the units screen military screen z screen, pretty much everything that isn't the actual watching the dwarfs do what they will screen.
Is there a way to fix this?  I don't know if I can play with it like this...

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh and thank you for that Deathworks.  I'm planning to use a lot of traps and a twisting main entrance to prevent the crossbowmen from getting good shots.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

I know only of the flickering caused by the faulty partial printing routine, but if you downloaded the game from the homepage normally, you should have 40d, which defaults to no partial print. However, you worked with the init file, so you may have turned it on. Check whether partial print is on, and if so, deactivate it.

Other than that, I have no idea. I would suspect either problems with your graphic card driver (visit the manufacturer's homepage and download the most current version), or maybe the mouse (just a wild guess).

As an additional piece of advice, the cheapest way to fit your traps, provided you have enough trees around, is making trap weapons using wood in your carpenter's shop (I personally go for menacing spikes as I feel they make the most sense). A trap with 3 spikes seems to kill a goblin in 90% of the cases. However, this also has a good chance of making the trap get stuck (=dysfunctional until cleaned by a dwarf). I guess several layers of 2 spike traps is better in the end.

Do not bother with stonefall traps except maybe within the fortress as last term defense. Each time they go off, they need to be reset by a dwarf, which is not possible in the open during a siege.

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the game with a pre-installed tileset, but it was still on the default.  I had messed with it to try to reduce lag, but I would rather a bit of lag over inplayability.  :P

Thank you very much for that.  Now I can see again.  ^_^

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another quick question.  How much can a bin hold?

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, is it helpful to buy tame animals from traders?

The elves are trying to trade me a black bear...

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another quick question.  How much can a bin hold?

I think 10 items. Barrels I know are 10, though alcohol is an exception (and seed bags; each bags holds up to 100 seeds, and you can fit up to 10 bags in a barrel, so that's up to 1,000 seeds).

Also, is it helpful to buy tame animals from traders?

The elves are trying to trade me a black bear...

Not really. They're pretty much just for the cool factor of allowing someone to have a pet bear or whatever, or for creating a zoo (beware, dwarves constantly throw parties at zoos and meeting halls, and statue gardens), or butcher them for food. If they bring another of the opposite gender, you could breed them... kind of like raising cattle for food.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:28:05 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah.  What do they eat?  Or do they eat?  I can't find it on the wiki...>_<
One of my migrants brought along a pet bear and I was thinking of making a giant pit to stick the dangerous animals and feed my captive goblins (When I get some) to them...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

Animals don't eat. This will likely change eventually, but for no, animals need no food.
They do attack things, though. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a whole thread dedicated to bear-baiting or something somewhere (ugh!)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:P

Thank you.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

I am not sure about the bins. It seems to vary based on what you are storing. My finished goods bins definitely can hold more than 10 items, but the ones for blocks seem to max out sooner.

Tame animals are basically for decoration or meat/leather/bone production. You can't be sure that they will work out as pit animals - I mean, they are still mortal, you know :) :)

One more use they have is for pets. If you have a dwarf who likes bears, you could buy a bear and then go status ('z') screen -> animals -> make the bear available and your dwarf should eventually take the animal for a pet. Dwarves get positive thoughts for acquiring a new pet and also get comforted by pets resulting in positive thoughts. They get negative thoughts from the death of a pet and another negative thought if the pet is not getting buried after its death (a major problem for cat owners, as a bug is preventing cats being buried in the current version).

If a pet has children, they start out as ownerless, so if you have a pair of breeding bears owned by a bear-loving dwarf, every cub they have is a potential positive acquisition thought.

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, maybe war dogs would work better as pit animals.  I'm just thinking that it would be intesting to gladitorial(sp?) games without risking my dwarfs.

Ok, I'll just make a bunch of bins.

Thanks for the help!  ^_^

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is more of a performance issue...

I'll be able to play it fine for about 1/2 hour on 100 fps, but the it randomly shoots down to ~8 fps and won't go back up until I shut it down for another 1/2 hour before rebooting it.  Is there a reason for this?  Is it my laptop or the game?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds like a memory leak, I guess? Strange. I don't know what causes them, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that DF had a tendency for them, though I don't have any problem with memory leaks myself.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5