Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: This is probably a really stupid sand related question, but I'll ask anyways...  (Read 3510 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is only my second fortress and my first failed before the 1st year was up, so I don't know a whole lot about the game yet.  I found a perfect spot for my fortress except that almost the entire mountain is made of sand.  I know sand is good, but I can't move it.  My fortress is flooded with it and I can't place anything in there until I get it out.  As far as I know, I have no one who can move it and no bags to move it in.

If I can't get it out soon then I won't be able to farm and I'll run out of supplies. (And that is what killed me last game).

Help please?   ???

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hi!

I am pretty sure that you can do surface farming on sand, so just gather some plants and plant those crops.

As for moving sand, what do you mean? When you dig sand, it does not leave anything behind (as opposed to rock), so it does not block anything.

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The mountain is made "sand wall."  When dug into it leaves behind sand.
Sorry, I didn't mention this earlier, I didn't think to.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Use the k look feature. What does it list on those tiles? If there is no other object there, the only thing that appears is what the floor is made of. If other objects are present on the tile, they appear above the tile type, being sand.

Sand leaves nothing behind except for sand floors. Like rock floors, they cannot be moved unless with standard channeling and digging commands. No actual sand object is made, unlike rock where rock objects are made.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

meaning you have a "red sand wall" and then you dig it out and it turns into "red sand"?

If that's the case, "red sand" (and other sand colors) is a floor type, and perfectly walkable/farmable.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>_<
Like I said, stupid question.
Thank you very much for help people.  Now I might survive a year this time.  ^_^

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hello!

(Ah, first part of my message deleted as others beat me to it)

Have you tried building a farm plot on the sand yet?

Are you in a relatively normal climate where surface plants can grow? Then I really suggest surface farming until you sort this out (provided there are a few bushes you can start gathering plants at).

Deathworks

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not yet, they are still digging out the fortress and leaving random chunks of wall laying around.  I think I should be able to plant though.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, for the sake of not cluttering this board with all of my stupid questions I will just as them here.

How do I dig straight down without making it a staircase?  ex:  To make a well.  How do I make it go straight down?

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile

d-h Is to Channel it removes the floor and the tile below it.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah.  Thank you very much.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is thee a way to cover over the top of a hole (ex: the top of a murky pool or a channel) once made?

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile

Yes, Hatchs, grates, and floors, to build a floor, its b-C-f
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you  ^_^

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to cancel buildings that haven't been made yet, just designated to be built?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5