Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: This is probably a really stupid sand related question, but I'll ask anyways...  (Read 3514 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

q for building selection, then x to get rid of it. Unless you are making constructions, in which case press d for designate, then look on the list for cancel designations.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bujold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure you can cancel/suspend constructions from the (q)uery menu too. Cancelling designation would be to cancel digging, chopping, or anything (d) related.
And then, when you arrive at your destination, the dwarves split up and destroy anything in thier path. Kinda like locusts, but bearded and drunk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure you can cancel/suspend constructions from the (q)uery menu too. Cancelling designation would be to cancel digging, chopping, or anything (d) related.
Ah, you are right. You only need to designate for getting rid of completed constructions. Thanks for catching that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

if you use the "q" menu, a lot of different settings can be seen. On unbuild but designated things, your only option is to remove it. But be careful, it then automatically selects the nearest OTHER building, so you can accidentally designate that one to be "unbuilt" if you get overzealous.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you all.  ^_^

I'm sorry I sound like such a newb, but I am a newb...

Ad sadly, I will probably still need help...

tacklemcclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you have time, feel free to check out my own newbie thread of newbie questions:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29574.0

Might be worth it!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you have time, feel free to check out my own newbie thread of newbie questions:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29574.0
Might be worth it!

Your thread of supposedly "newb questions" is awesome. It confirms so much that I think I know, and I learn all sort of little bits when people have elaborated on the basic questions.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This isn't gameplay related, but I'm not sure where it goes.

The game is  currently running on an average of ~25-30 FPS.  While this speed isn't a problem (I like a bit slower so I'm not always rushing to get things done) I'm worried for when I get further in the game.  Is there any way to up the FPS rate?  I went through the init and changed some stuff to try to make it go faster, but I'm not seeing much of a difference.  My laptop isn't that bad of a laptop, but this game is running slower then I thought it would...

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can try disabling weather and temperature, if you haven't already and don't mind losing these features. There's also a wiki article:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate

And don't worry about being a newb, I'm a screaming, placenta-covered newb, m'self.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:32:40 pm by Geekkake »

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you very much for that link, it helped a lot!   ^_^

Another question...

A while back there had been a murky pool in the ground next to my fortress.  I went outside and dug a hole into it to drain it.  It is drained now and I put a roof on it, but how do I make it be counted as part of my fortress?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

but how do I make it be counted as part of my fortress?

You mean "inside"? where dwarves will go when "outside" is forbidden?
You can't. When dwarves are told to hide, they go places that are Dark and SUbterranean. Which that will never be. ANything touched by sunlight is tainted forever.
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crap, ok, thank you...

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to tell non-military to go to a particular place?

Also, is there a way to tell a dwarf to do a particular job without turning off all the other skills?  ex:  I want a mason to hall rocks from a certain place, but I don't want to have to turn off the masonry skill.  Is there a way to do that?  Have him do the particular job and then go back to what he was doing without fiddling with the skills?

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to tell non-military to go to a particular place?

Also, is there a way to tell a dwarf to do a particular job without turning off all the other skills?  ex:  I want a mason to hall rocks from a certain place, but I don't want to have to turn off the masonry skill.  Is there a way to do that?  Have him do the particular job and then go back to what he was doing without fiddling with the skills?

For the first part, the only way to do that I know of is to make a squad that is all of your non-military dwarves, deactivate it in the military screen, and let them go about their business.  When you want to move them, activate the squad, make sure it's on duty, and station them through the 'x' menu where you want them.

As for the second question:  Not that I know of.  The dwarves are doing their own thing and will do the task when it is the right moment to do that job.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:\
Ok, thanks.  I was just thinking about when goblin sieges come.  If they get past the front gate I would want to order them all to fall back further rather than run themselves into corners...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5