Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Brainstorming: new uses for spatters! Cinnabar workers die gruesome deaths!  (Read 6460 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not unreasonable to expect the player to recognize one or two dangerous things to mine.  We're not asking that mining ANYTHING cause your dwarves to get sick.  Just things that are particularly nasty.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile

Speaking of waterfalls, wouldn't they produce some splatters? So that nifty waterfall running right next to your meeting area would get all the dwarves wet. If they don't like being wet, then I'd bet they'd be kinda miserable.

So more gymnastics for waterfalls in meeting areas?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem to remember that they already do? I could be remembering wrong though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I seem to remember that they already do? I could be remembering wrong though.

I think mist does deposit a covering of water on creatures, but I'm not positive.  The game does handle water splatters pretty well in most regards.

It's not unreasonable to expect the player to recognize one or two dangerous things to mine.  We're not asking that mining ANYTHING cause your dwarves to get sick.  Just things that are particularly nasty.

Yeah, thank you for clarifying this.  Dust from "normal" rocks might at most give non-miners a small unhappy thought if they get coated in it or forced to breathe it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:30:50 pm by Footkerchief »

BonSequitur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be very damaging to gameplay if, suddenly after a few years, all your early miners start dropping dead or going into forced retirement because of black lung, or if they all started going mad and vomiting everywhere because of heavy metal poisoning.
gameplay as it exists now, not to argue that dwarves shouldn't be largely immune, but the game could still work with dead miners, people'd just have to get over the 'don't use anything but fully trained dwarves for any real task' hang up
I'm fine with the occasional miner proving more sensitive than is normal for a dwarf and having to be forcibly retired or even dying. I'm not fine with not being able to designate a whole vein of coal or galena for digging if it means that six months hence all my miners die. Creating a situation where players have to rotate their miners or something of the sort is a horrible idea. The game needs less micromanagement, not more, and because of tantrums, even putting your useless dwarves to work in the coal mines is a bad idea, as their inevitable deaths will have consequences. Actually, killing off unskilled dwarves that are often idle can be enormously damaging, as they tend to make more friends, the bums. So I'd say this needs to be fairly mild. If the effects are sufficiently long-term - if you don't have to worry about black lung or heavy metal poisoning for the first three or four years - then this is, of course, much easier to manage. It means that you need some turnover in miners, but nothing that immigration can't provide for. It does, however, make it very necessary to have more robust tools for managing dwarves' labours.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

Surely dwarves are resistant to silicosis.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I have it! By setting up a 'magmafall', you could generate magma mist, which cleans the coal dust out of your dwarves' lungs!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

It cleans also out this nasty dwarfstuff coating the outside of the lungs :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

BonSequitur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another interesting idea: Cave adaptation makes dwarves resistant to black lung and heavy metal poisoning. Of course, this would require us to have better ways of managing where dwarves go and congregate, and maybe make cave-adapted dwarves actively avoid sunlight.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love this idea. Dwarves would naturally be highly resistant to heavy metal poisoning and silicosis, but if some were more vulnerable there is always magic to cure them. :)
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leave the heavy metals as harmful, but dwarves should definitively not get silicosis. I find it heretical to even suggest it. :P

One thing I'd like to see is manure and manure spatters. It should both stink up the fortress if nobody's cleaning it up, and act as fertilizer. This gives you more incentive to 'pasture' your animals in enclosed areas (although it does raise a need for a 'pasture' zone). Some animals should be fortress-breakable, though.

I suppose you could also use this to implement dwarven excrement and sanitation systems; this would require a latrine designation. That could get complicated, overall, I suppose. But fun! (By which I mean that you'd be that much more likely to lose. Maybe an option in the init to turn off poo?)
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing I'd like to see is manure and manure spatters. It should both stink up the fortress if nobody's cleaning it up, and act as fertilizer. This gives you more incentive to 'pasture' your animals in enclosed areas (although it does raise a need for a 'pasture' zone). Some animals should be fortress-breakable, though.

I suppose you could also use this to implement dwarven excrement and sanitation systems; this would require a latrine designation. That could get complicated, overall, I suppose. But fun! (By which I mean that you'd be that much more likely to lose. Maybe an option in the init to turn off poo?)

As much as I and the other truly hardcore players would enjoy having a use for elaborate sewer systems, this has been a hugely controversial topic in the past.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course. Which is why you make [MANURE:NO] the default option. :P

But I'd really like to see livestock manure at least. Not having manure fertilizer seems to me to be a gross oversight.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

CapnMikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Creating a situation where players have to rotate their miners or something of the sort is a horrible idea. The game needs less micromanagement, not more [...]

I think it could create interesting trade-offs.  If you really need to mine out some coal for your forges, you'd have to choose:
(A) Rotate your skilled miners with inexperienced ones, at the cost of the inexperienced ones producing less usable coal/ore.
(B) Slow your production so your miners have a chance to recover between hazardous digs.
(C) If you really need it all now, mine the whole thing out and run the risk of some of your dudes falling ill.

I'm fine with the occasional miner proving more sensitive than is normal for a dwarf and having to be forcibly retired or even dying. I'm not fine with not being able to designate a whole vein of coal or galena for digging if it means that six months hence all my miners die.

I like the idea of only some miners being sensitive.  Also, how on earth do you designate a whole vein for digging??

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the idea of only some miners being sensitive.

Me too.  And the new attribute for resistance to poison and disease would provide a mechanism for that.  So an intelligent player would search out the more robust dwarves for mining work.

Also, how on earth do you designate a whole vein for digging??

You can't (except manually of course).  It's an often requested feature that's in the dev notes and will probably get implemented sometime, hopefully soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6