Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Brainstorming: new uses for spatters! Cinnabar workers die gruesome deaths!  (Read 6435 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming: new uses for spatters! Cinnabar workers die gruesome deaths!
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:24 am »

An air filtration system doesn't do much good when it's hanging a foot or so from your chin.

I'd say that dwarves are meant to be hardy creatures; stockier frames and more body hair are good for that, especially regarding lower temperatures.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:16 am »

you'd think being underground would mean higher temperatures....

Anyways, Their mustaches aren't that far from their faces, so THEY could work.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:19 am »

Underground means higher temps normaly but you have to go deep down. Per 100 meters you get an temperature rising of 3°C.

Iirc the problem in normal mines is that the vegetation and and surfacematerial as well as parts of the Atmosphere are good isolators and that stone is normaly an very bad heatconductor. Running water near the surface also cools the material down. In an mine you have normaly an temperature of 3-8 °C.

Its like in microwave on an to short time. The surface is warm and squishi while the core is still hardfrozen.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:59 am »

My understanding is:

The deeper you get (near the surface), the closer the temperature gets to the yearly mean surface temperature.  Also applying is the +3C per 100 meters

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:08 pm »

Perhaps, the first time you breathe something, it just spatters you mustache, but once it get's full, you filter no longer protects you and your lungs get spattered.

Dwarves should be very good at coughing things up. They should be able to empty their lungs of solid coatings in just a few rounds. Humans and elves in coal mines should not have this benefit.

Even a dwarf shouldn't be able to shrug off having his lungs spattered with contact poison.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »

New variant of rock dust spattering on lungs: Dust storms in desert and grassland areas. Apparently during the dustbowl in the 1930s, a lot of people got what was called 'dust pneumonia,' which was actually a form of silicosis. Could be interesting to have areas where going outside is hazardous.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 05:59:44 pm »

Before dust storms can be cool, getting stuff in your eyes has to do something.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:30 pm »

Dwarves should be very good at coughing things up.

How could a dwarf process metals out of the cells of their body?

Just think of a Bezoar. Only when the chunk of metal is large enough, the dwarf reverses it's digestive tract rapidly, and shoots forth a waterfall of vomit, launching the rock out of it's newly broken jaws. At the cost of a dwarven face and a destroyed hallway, you get a 'Dwarven Bezoar,' which is valued HIGHLY among other races as a 'health and good luck charm'. (although a dwarf would rather take a shower in his own body fluids) These could be RARELY used in artifacts, they could be encrusted or set into furniture, etc.

was waiting for another times to use this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2009, 07:53:10 pm »

The human body already does have ways of getting rid of toxic materials, including metals. Dwarven bodies wouldn't have to be hideously different in order to accomplish it to a greater degree, and it's not like we have to be terribly specific anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »

When I think about all the crap dwarves cover themselves with I want to go and wash up...

IMO dwarves should too.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:54 am »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and something occurred to me yesterday that is an irrefutable argument in favor of implementing the sorts of poisoning we were mostly talking about here:
Even if you think dwarves shouldn't get heavy metal poisoning, you have to concede that it's worth Toady's time to make poisoning allow those general kinds of effects, for reason of the following combination alone: Slugmen and rock salt. Then, if dwarves aren't getting killed by cinnabar in the vanilla game, the framework will be there for us to mod it in.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:45 am »

The human body already does have ways of getting rid of toxic materials, including metals. Dwarven bodies wouldn't have to be hideously different in order to accomplish it to a greater degree, and it's not like we have to be terribly specific anyway.

To a VERY limited degree. Some Metals can remain in your body for years before your body processes any significant amount.

Mercury is very dangerous because not only does it take very long periods of time to leave once it is in your body but it goes right for the Kidney. You got mercury poisoning? well your kidney and possibly Liver is dead.

And upon real research... People of this time period would not have access to Mercury poisoning treatment... and if they did... the treatment is actually dangerous.
-Also the research gives information of different symptoms... such as Neurological damage.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:40:12 am by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:18 pm »

Mercury is very dangerous because not only does it take very long periods of time to leave once it is in your body but it goes right for the Kidney. You got mercury poisoning? well your kidney and possibly Liver is dead.

Not all mercury poisoning is created equally. You have to draw a serious distinction between mercury and also its various compounds.

Elemental mercury does just about nothing if you spill it on your skin or eat it. The vapor is what harms you, and is pretty bad, but if the damage to your body isn't too severe, it can mostly be reversed, and your body can do this on its own to a reasonable degree.

Some compounds of mercury, on the other hand, are much more toxic. For instance, methylmercury is commonly found in fish and is very difficult for your body to get rid of, is absorbed readily through through ingestion, and causes very serious problems.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 09:55:18 pm »

Although it's all fun and good to talk about giving your dwarves cancer and mange and all manner of mundane, real-world illnesses with long, dwindling ends... Would any of that be fun?

Cog Ducimgok, Miner, has taken ill with silicosis.

:[

No, I think i'd rather stand on the fantasy notion that dwarves are of an inexplicably more stout metabolism and can easily void heavy metals and other toxins. That's even to say I want to look that deeply into a dwarf's physiology: wounds and tissue layers are one thing but let's not start tracking cell damage, vitamin levels, and that like... That would make this another kind of game entirely i think. But maybe way down the road it'll come to that level of detail, armok knows Toady is a beast.

On that note I've always been of the opinion that the reason a Mason's workshop requires no tools to build is that dwarves eat rocks and shit bricks. Hence the stout metabolism :D

Let's not even discuss what's going on at the smelter!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »

It doesn't have to be all one way or the other, you know.

Dwarves being virtually immune to something like silicosis and having high resistance/tolerance to other things is great.

However, I think SOME environmental toxins should affect them eventually. After all, it's hardly a "hey, that's not fair!" situation when one of your workers actually gets sick from swimming in a pool full of crushed cinnabar and orpiment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6