Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632183 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9285 on: December 25, 2009, 10:20:09 am »

Will we have breaking down through thin ice depending on total weight at some point in the future? [of the fortress]

I believe that's what this dev item concerns:

# Bloat287, THIN ICE, (Future): Thin ice is a more difficult problem with the Z axis everywhere, but it should still be possible.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 25, 2009, 10:26:25 am »

All these "swimming knights" reminded me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ice. In short some crusader class knights have drown after some fighting because the ice was too thin to support a crowd of running steel-covered people even though is was thick enough for light cavalry.

You're trying to suggest that an armoured man weighs more than a horse now?

You might want to re-read that article. The cavalry showed up, the Crusaders ran away to the far side of the lake, where the ice was thinner, and their weight was sufficient to break the ice in some places, causing many to drown.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 25, 2009, 10:29:15 am »

Sorry if I'm horribly out of touch with what's been going on..but has any attention been paid to those pesky items that fall to the ground and then refuse to ever be picked up? I know they can be hidden...but having a messy fort irks me.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 25, 2009, 10:32:31 am »

Could be linked to cave-ins.
If delayed cave-in with collapse-check triggers were added.
[
Like say an insufficiently supported section of overhead rock, checks once when support is removed, if 'saved' it will hold, otherwise collapse and force additional checks on nearby sections. Large creatures moving over insufficiently supported, but holding, floor could similarly force an additional check. This is similar to ice floor collapsing could work.
Icefloor could itself be an exception for cavin-rules: it is partially supported by waterpressure. As would be lava-crust-flooring.
]

---
Cheerful X-mas all off you!
PS A pity fireworks are beyond dwarven technology (gunpowder).
---

edit:
@folly:
yes. Dwarves are supposed to do some grooming and housekeeping in the next release.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 25, 2009, 10:49:22 am »

Lutefisk today for Christmas Eve. I did not survive gracefully.

Mmmm...partially jellied fish soaked in lye.  Actually, I hope lutefisk should be added to the game once recipes make it in.  It's such a dwarven thing to eat!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 25, 2009, 11:23:04 am »

All these "swimming knights" reminded me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ice. In short some crusader class knights have drown after some fighting because the ice was too thin to support a crowd of running steel-covered people even though is was thick enough for light cavalry.

To be fair, it depends on more than that.

A horse might wear more than a man, but it's also on four feet instead of two, and you can fit more men per unit of area than you can horses.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 25, 2009, 11:39:50 am »

I pity you Toady, no one should have to suffer Lutefisk.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 25, 2009, 11:45:33 am »

I pity you Toady, no one should have to suffer Lutefisk.

If made right it actually isn't that bad, though it does take a bit of getting used to.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 25, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »

You might want to re-read that article. The cavalry showed up, the Crusaders ran away to the far side of the lake, where the ice was thinner, and their weight was sufficient to break the ice in some places, causing many to drown.
Uhhh, his point was that heavy armour caused many knights to drown. The article states the crusaders retreated deeper into the ice away from the russian cavalry, where the ice broke and many crusaders drowned in armor.

*point* WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Your head.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:45:38 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #9294 on: December 25, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »

Merry holiday dudes!

Why didn't I notice it when Toady completely finished the
"Some unfinished business" section?

Progress is good and cakey.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 25, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Japan and China switched populations. Can you imagine a billion-point-something people crammed onto three (I think) islands?

While it is possible, it would require drastic reconstructions of everything from buildings to transit. Private transport would be almost unheard and I could imagine the streets being built right into the other buildings.

You may even have to jump out of moving vehicles.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 25, 2009, 03:51:22 pm »

Perform Hydra Test

Does this have to do with the hydra exploit-ish thing where a single head damaged causes death?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: December 25, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »

Perform Hydra Test

Does this have to do with the hydra exploit-ish thing where a single head damaged causes death?

Either that or the fact a dead hydra drops only 1 skull.

Also, Lutefisk isn't THAT bad... Its just rancid fish soaked in lye, its badass. I wound't eat it on christmas eve though, unless Toady's family is composed mostly of vikings.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 25, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »

Well you HAVE to like fish, quite a bit, to enjoy Lutefisk since it is basically a Fish Jelly.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: December 25, 2009, 04:21:20 pm »

Call BS on it all you want; there are written records of knights in full armour swimming across rivers, and one of my friends is a very serious LARPer, he has a full suit of plate and chain, complete with cotton and leather undergarments and a very nice shortsword and shield to go with it, the whole ensemble, weapons and all, weighs just over 27 kilos, and he can swim quite handily in it. Admittedly he can't swim for more than about ten minutes but he can swim.

Modern soldiers carry around upwards of 30 kilos of gear, and can swim around in it, in fact it's one of the things they train for. It's not easy to do, nor is it something you'd want to, and you're certainly neither fast nor graceful, but you can keep your head above the water and get from point A to point B, provided point B isn't too far away.

By the way, properly built armor doesn't restrict mobility at all; that would be extremely stupid.
The gear they are carrying comes in the form of that large backpack meaning that it's got a much lower density. You can throw something that weights 100 kilos into the water and have it float if it's got a lower density than 1.

With the 30ish kilos of dense metal sitting on someone I doubt they float while motionless but I can see how someone'd still be able to generate enough force to keep themselves up in gentle waters.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Japan and China switched populations. Can you imagine a billion-point-something people crammed onto three (I think) islands?
That so would not work. Japan is already pushing it from a population density standpoint.
With the way they do construction if you gave them a decade to put up a bunch of city buildings all throughout the countryside instead of repainting them they could fit a lot more.

Kinda screwy though. Japan has a self shrinking population while it's all China can do to hold their back.
Again it's all about density. if you had four guys on horses running about as close together as they'd get how many men on foot could you fit?

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1065